50° North Outdoor 2023, which cultivar to grow?

first off, I think we far north people definitely have things that affect our potency, yield, finish times, flavour. Its not that things are always worse, but we need to try harder for sure. better genetics, techniques and approaches can make our herb great. but its a greater challenge than those further south if we and another person are growing the same strains further south. We have big temp swings, less light intensity, smaller windows etc. And to be honest, a well grown greenhouse or indoor sample is almost always better imo, because of stable conditions. Theres a reason the more temperate regions make hash and the more equatorial regions made smokeable flower. we gotta work with our environment

A few thoughts after reading this thread and peoples thoughts. this is just my idea and not necessarily an intelligent take. Something to remember, we are just guessing and sharing our expereince. you might just have to try a bunch of options over your first few seasons and settle into what works best for you.

A good question to ask is what are you looking to get out of the grow? stuff to smoke, an ongoing botany project that challenges you as you try new things, or create your own strains and make seeds? All of the above? each approach requires something a little different for you.

Landrace offerings may be able to finish in your environment, though to be honest, i have big doubts as to how finished something from northern india type latitudes would be at almost double the latitude in northern europe. Other than that, I think the potency of a landrace compared to a worked auto may be lacking. If you’re looking for reliable smoke and not a ongoing project to find something good, I say landraces may be risky. the change in photoperiod alone may mean they dont trigger until way too late

some strains like c99, friesland, timewarp or other strains that could finish in 7 or 8 weeks may work, but if you trigger flowering on august 14th lets say, you will be harvesting around mid october, when it is kinda out of the peak growing period. The pros would be a finished plant that could have good potency and a big old yield. definitely one option to consider if you can find something that handles your rainy fall.

I really love semi autos, though the yields arent that great, so its a numbers game. outdoor sog styles. Though I am kind of out of the loop with whats currently available, most of the stuff i am working on is kinda old stuff. there is probably new and improved stuff out there. typically i think most semi autos where photos crossed to autos and then not bred far enough down the line so that the auto trait is widespread. it results in more of the auto drive to never stop flowering. sorry for not having more info
stuff like Guerilla Gold, sea-warp, g-warp, mighty mite.

So many auto brands out there now. i think bearhill seeds, twisted tree are some good smaller time breeders with better pricing and availability than the guys like mephisto (who i love but are expensive and hard to get exactly what you want. I have had autos that smoked excellent and would compare to a lot of photos. some not so much and were destined to be hash. But the results are undeniable. but your best bet is to ask the members here on og and do some trades for the autos going around here. tons of threads and grow reports to check out.

One thing I recommend getting is some hash making gear. because if all else fails and the buds not up to snuff, you can make some great hashes out of things.

8 Likes

Hey, I live on the 50th in Canada. I grew JOTI’s Texada Timewarp and UEL from another guy. They are a nice contrary high Tex fells more like an Indica and UEL is a good one for doing stuff and more Sativaie. They both started flowering in an open bed garden around the beginning of Aug. as for your THC % requirements, don’t get too hung up on that. The grower and environment is the biggest difference maker for that. I harvested in mid oct and had no loss to bud rot or mold. We did have an exceptionally dry end of summer.

Also I agree with @jessethestoner just posted. As a Canadian grower you cant expect the same result they get in SoCal and lower latitudes. If you want to have some fun you can do selective outdoor breeding over the course of at least 3 summers. Kill anything that gets moldy or shows bud rot and dispose. you will train the plant to your local climate, we have been doing this with crops since we started farming.

7 Likes

I keep C99 (2016) from Brothers Grimm

3 Likes

Thanks. The Malana Cream I think would probably be borderline regarding flowering time, the Tirah seems to have a pretty long flowering time.

I definitely like the Lolab or some Lolab cross.

1 Like

https://www.aceseeds.org/en/pckstd-271.html

Checks a lot of my before mentioned boxes.

1 Like

Very interesting observation.

I think so too. But It’s cool to have the people of overgrow helping a brother find his way.

True. Sometimes it’s hard to draw the line between the different options. So thanks for your analysis. I think I will probably go with some kind of mixed strategy, a little bit of this an a little bit of that…I wish I had the resources to go crazy and no legal restrictions to mind.

One or two of those strains will definitely be in the mix. I’m still hoping to find a photoperiodic variety that will be done a bit earlier…

The semi autos do sound interesting. My impression as a layman is there is no consistent definition of semi autoflowering nor are the mechanisms understood that trigger and keep up the flowering…

Will definitely do a deep search which Autos are recommended on OG. It shouldn’t be to much of a problem to produce a bunch of Auto seeds in my tent till April/May 2023…

That is also something I’m thinking about… Thanks again for your feed back and the time you took.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. I’m planing on growing varieties that differ regarding effect. At least one cultivar should give an energetic high and at least one with sedative properties.

Sounds very promising.

I won’t. There is always the option to smoke another bong…

That’s kind of the long term plan finding something that is “perfectly” suited for longitude and micro climate.

2 Likes

Anything you would like to recommend? Something with a yield that compares to a Photo periodic plant?

1 Like

Thanks. But I think I have to ask if they are serious about there shipping cost (60 bucks) or find a European seed bank that sells there stuff.

1 Like

Brothers Grimm seem to have some really interesting stuff. Their “Apollo Eleven” also looks very promising:

I imagine that’s what it costs nowadays to send something USA-Europe either/both express and stealth packed inside something larger. I can see the objection to it, though.

1 Like

As far as yield, I can’t really comment there as I keep them small. I’ve like the mephistos that I’ve run. Night Owl also has a good rep. I just picked up some auto offerings from Ace that I’m jacked aboot.

2 Likes

@Cbizzle I really enjoyed both Auto Zamaldelica and Auto MalawiNL.

Not the strongest autos but they grow big and have up high that’s most autos don’t have. Mine all grew 1.5m plus outside at 55n. One plus about autos is you can time thier flowering to be at the solstice… giving you the most light energy to you plants for flowering.

3 Likes

Nice to hear, those were the two Ace autos I picked up!

2 Likes

I figured since they are the only ones ACE offers! :grin:

1 Like

My $0.02

Green Mountain Grape would be really pushing it, I hope you have an exceptional season if this is the route you choose. At 52N, 3 different phenos, all finished in Oct. These would not have finished for me in a typical season.

From everything I’ve tried outdoors over the years, IMHO, I feel that light dep is required if you want real good end product (obviously dependent on your location/season compared to mine).
I’ve gone the auto route and like @jessethestoner I’ve never been real satisfied with the end flower product. My next test will be some XXL autos. Maybe this next year I’ll get some of those going to test. My goal is to have an end product that pleases and satisfies me and that I dont need to light dep to finish in Sept.

3 Likes

Thought you were Nostradamus man! :laughing:

2 Likes

Someone was just talking in another thread about how the CBD stuff done in Spain was because one company, Dinafem, paid for a gas chromatography lab over a decade ago to do CBD development. They paid for it by renting to other companies, especially Sweet Seeds which used it to develop their strains and they seem highly regarded, maybe their Fast F1 line is what you’re looking for, their products are all 35% off until December 12:

1 Like

There is another guy local to us that has been working erdpurt x purple sattelite for early phenos which he seems to be having succes with. He was harvesting in September. I think it’s f3 now.

2 Likes