50° North Outdoor 2023, which cultivar to grow?

Thanks for the links. Didn’t know there was much breeding going on in Scandinavia. Do you have a favorite Auto that gets done at your latitude?

3 Likes

“Indoor light simulations”: I love it. That’s some really good stuff, every breeder should be forced by law to do this. Most descriptions just miss the relevant data. The C99 is getting pretty high on my list.

Happy to see northerners around the world are sharing information. Would be interesting to see what people are growing around 50° south (Chile, Argentina, South New Zealand).

Anyway as I said my country is planing to legalize in 2023. I would like to know if there is some kind of product (flower, extract, etc.) that is produced outdoor (no greenhouse) in Canada and sold on the legal market?

1 Like

I was just writing, it would be nice to see what people at 50° south are growing. Thanks man.

2 Likes

Thanks, good information. I will have a lot of reading to do in the next weeks.

2 Likes

Honestly I would love to phenohunt, but there will be legal and other restrictions that will make it difficult.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess that is something I probably have to accept that after Mid-September there is not a lot of ripening going on. The thing I’m asking is if a dried and cured flower from an early September Auto can compete in quality with a longer flowering Photo (that has gone to completion). Or do growers at 50° north have to live with a lower quality Product.

Thanks for the clarification a lot of talk about semi-autos going on without a clear definition.

That sounds kind of perfect. Anything you can recommend? Thanks

I was planing on producing some auto fem seeds with STS, but running regular Autos might be the safer bet. Havent gone to your thread:

Do you have a recommendation for Auto cultivars to do a seed run?

2 Likes

I recently finished the cycle with C99 and in the context of your requirements I have to say that the boy I left for further breeding at 18/6 is trying to bloom. After finding out this feature, I plan to use it for breaking with my early mothers. However, along with this advantage is also a minus - mother plants do not have a very strong ability to resist mold.

2 Likes

Thanks. My quick search came up with Kashmir Baramulla Valley from Aceseeds that needs up to 14 weeks for bloom and one from tlt that finishes early October. Ok searching little longer I come up with this:

https://www.indianlandraceexchange.com/genetic-library/

The high latitute highlands are probably of interest. The variety from Lolab Valley looks cool and under 50 days of flowering (the question remains when will flowering kick in).

2 Likes

Yeah light is key. In my earlier search I was a bit fixated on duration of flowering, but of course it is even more important when flowering starts and what is triggering the plant to flower. A longer flowering variety would be cool that starts flower in june…

I was reading a bit about Phenology yesterday:

Things like onset of flower are well documented for some indicator plants over Europe and there are big differences even along the same latitude regarding the start of flower. Climate change is also doing its thing and making growing seasons for a lot of plants longer.

It’s a shame how many genetics where lost in the last 100 years, preservation of genetics is very important and they bring a lot to the table. Do you know a specific cultivar you can recommend? Thanks

The Erdpurt x Friesland (M33) is interesting. I will definitely getting some kind of Friesland seeds.

They have a lot of interesting breeders and seed producer.

Texada Timewarp is also up on my list. Thanks for the links (realgorillaseeds looks cool too).

1 Like

Some good info on the Lolab here from a breeder in Maine who selected it outdoors a season or two before breeding. His worked pure Lolab is sold out, but the crosses are still up, I wonder if the “A Real Poncho” cross with a highland Oaxacan would work for you? Hoku ships international and carries some really interesting and different landrace and alternative Type II and Type III cannabinoid genetics besides some Type I seeds like The Guy Downtown:

https://hokuseedco.com/shop#!/The-Guy-Downtown/c/81014012

https://hokuseedco.com/shop#!/Lolab-Valley-Lemon-Kashmiri-50-R-Seeds/p/297267084/category=81014012

https://hokuseedco.com/shop#!/A-Real-Poncho-22-R-Seeds/p/297267083/category=81014012

You’re welcome, I hope you and your friends end up having a great first legal season in your country whatever you choose!

1 Like

The Erdpurt has a great story behind it, according to the guys from Hybrids from Hell (who would know):

1 Like

I think I’m in love with the Lolab. If the timing of flowering as a plant property is prioritized she sounds like the next best thing to ruderalis. Only with THC. You can sure breed some insane crosses suited for a specific 50° N micro climate with that pure Lolab.

2 Likes

I was thinking about it the other day why there is seemingly no info on crosses between industrial hemp and THC-varieties. Im pretty sure some commercial breeders and cultivators are breeding with industrial hemp. It seems to have to many advantages not to use it. I think most of them are Autos anyway only for industrial use.

1 Like

That’s cool.

But mold resistants is less important with an early flowering variety.

1 Like

What C99 are you running? It wouldn’t be the Female Seeds version would it? One of the main reasons I have continued working with C99 in an outdoor context is the mold resistance. I have had a couple plants that got a little bit, but most seem virtually mold proof. IME the males definitely like to flower when they become even slightly rootbound and pistillate males are common (contrary to legend), but I have never found even one intersex female. I have not been able to figure out if the tendency to flower under 18/6 results in offspring that onset earlier, so hopefully you find out more there.

2 Likes

Yes. Malana Cream

Tirah

Lolab and Baramulla Valley are two more from that region that will harvest in your area.

3 Likes

Pakistan Chitral is another from the area that will work well in your area.

3 Likes