80's Seed Questions

Some interesting genetics sitting in that container!

If it was me I’d start 30-50 of them seeds and separate into phenotypes…see what’s what…With those genetics you spoke of should be relatively easy to do that as will look completely different.

Only issue would be low germination rates as I’m guessing they weren’t kept in ideal conditions(cold storage)

Some pretty cool old school genetics!! The NL could be pure gold depending…

Alaskagrown

7 Likes

yeah, often roomtemperature stored 40 year old seeds, that will be low germination rate, thats what i most often heard.
BUT it depends, i heard of some cases when the Room conditions were right that they found very old viable seeds.

You need to do H2o2 Soak , and use Gibberlic acid. I would definitly make use of those Tools.

2 Likes

100% yes. My older friend gave me seeds he had in his freezer since 1974 and they all germinated just fine…

10 Likes

Couple tips bud…

Soak them first in hydrogen peroxide as that will do a couple of beneficial things for you like neutralize molds/mildew that can form over the years in the cracks. This will help prevent damping off and falling over if you get them above the dirt. The other thing is it will soften the shell of the seed which hardens over the years and use less energy cracking itself.

Another trick is line a small matchbook with fine sandpaper and scuff the seed shell up a little which can also help.

Just try a few at a time at first and see what happens. It seems sativas that are older can be a real bitch to pop. Good luck!

4 Likes

Thanks for all your Advice , Believe me at age 60 being out of this for so long when my buddy mentioned that he had saved stuff from the 70’s bike’s, yoyo’s, baseball cards unopened Tops wax packs, model cars in the box unopened, amazing and when we were talking about how I buy fem single seeds he said SHIT bro I have seeds going back from late 70’s early 80’s , he bough3t 2 to 4 ounces at a time sold took the seeds out put them aside the better grass was the black strain and Jamaican strain, My heart dropped lol I asked to trade bud for the seeds he said Bob just take them when you come over they were in Tupper ware containers

I asked what was the mixed seeds in the big bowl he said lower strains NL, Mauwi wowie, when i called im today to check on him due to storm i asked if he took the seeds from the cellar he said he did and i asked if he remembered any other strains he said yes back then he said Acapulco Gold., flooded the east coast … so that’s what’s in that big bowl a mix of the70 - 80’s genetics ???

sell them myself… I need to find a pro at recognizing the seeds traits so if I’m allowed to auction , what ever here at OG please the haters reframe from having a great even in a while… I just thought of the community and how it would be fun and I could have horded them…

3 Likes

here is the thread to ask about you Intensions to sell for Serverfunds :

2 Likes

Once the seeds are in my possession I will be here asking for help dividing these seeds, anyone with knowledge doing so please help me so we can get this auction called the Mystery Seeds… lol

3 Likes

Just my 2 cents but with something as rare and cool as these it might make sense to try to get them into the hands of a few expert growers here to test out, separate and then hopefully do seed runs instead of just trying to sell the untested old seeds to the highest bidder. That way these genetics could be preserved if possible for the greater good of the entire community!

11 Likes

I hope who ever is willing to help me that knows about botany, traits, genetics and grows will be rewarded in private.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone will be able to tell you what the seeds are without growing them out. Plenty of examples of the same genotype’s seeds looking wildly different. I attached a picture below of some deep chunk seeds from the nature’s farm. They look like completely different varietals.

8 Likes

I agree with you , No arguments here that’s why I have asked for professional breeders help, :roll_eyes:

I have no clue with this bowl of what strains everything from Maui wowie, Acapulco gold, Northern Lights, Jamaican red hair , black African …

years ago when i was 20I smoked a joint that a friend visited my buds house and after we smoked I was so frozen i asked him wtf we smoked he was older then me & my bud and replied Black African…

4 Likes

No one is going to be able to know what the genetics are based on looks of seeds alone. No one. Even with growing them out, it would still be very difficult to identify them with any real certainty. If someone knows the strain, they might be able to identify it based on smell and effect, but even that could be tough.

1 Like

I will find out the best way to package 5 per pack and 12 per pack, 10 get 2 free included…

My time is to valuable to keep answering about this , I have not been able to attend or begin an event without doubters or haters …

but someone MIGHT be able to tell them apart PROBABLY, when he gives it a try. Of corse a Black African should be identifiable WITH CERTAIN CHANCE. The higher the Chance, the more fruitful to pollinate the similars, and find out in P1 Generation if you was right, and you own a Landrace now.

4 Likes

These were explained he purchased 2 ounces of Thai pepper from military buddy he saved these seeds in the 2nd candy dish…

I have and will always state these were gifted to me and told years and stories from within these mystery 70 to 80’s seeds, strains mentioned are only what facts were supplied to me by the owner of these seeds.

2 Likes

I’ve always heard about black African back in the day black African Gumby to be exact

1 Like

Given that there will be low germination rates, you should be thinking in terms of 20 per pack or more.

It looks like you have a maybe five hundred seeds, but a lot of them look white or underdeveloped. Those will not be sellable. If you test the germination rates, the whole cache will potentially be worth more.

I’m a little confused by your talk of haters and lack of time. I mean, you started the topic, but don’t want to answer any more questions? And I don’t see any hate here, just helpful suggestions.

2 Likes

I don’t see very many undeveloped white seeds, I have a more interest and drooling over them pure black seeds… I see close up & not counting other strains…

I have not figured what and how many will be offered , get ready for Captains Cup Mystery Pack whats inside the pack 12? 20?

It is very hard to judge from that picture, but I think about 15-20% of the seeds look underdeveloped. Black seeds don’t mean anything special. Your story about the seeds is what is what makes them interesting.

1 Like