A Small Grow on the Big Island

On the list…
Saw some spots on leaves today. Looks like it could be the dreaded WPM.Don’t know if it might have been residue from the one n done.

Got some sulfur and treated plants today according to the instructions from a @JoeCrowe thread.

6 Likes

Probably residue, and it’s easy to tell. See if it does anything. Living things grow and spread, but residue doesn’t. Also, you can use magnification. I always positively identify whatever it is. The more you know!

5 Likes

Thanks for the follow up.
Residue it was, I have no trouble with any PWM in this grow. I had a bunch of trouble with PM when growing veggies and such. After reading your post I didn’t even bother with anything else, just the death ray of sulfur and PWM be gone.

4 Likes

You are moving right along. Thanks for posting this - it’s quite an interesting read. I’m excited to see rows of plants in a true high humidity environment. :thinking: I haven’t done that in … well, decades! :rofl:

If you decide to use the PPP Method - here’s a taste of what you can expect (current grow)

The plant in the back is the last Olive phenotype of FD. PAIN in the behiney to grow but she is loaded with rock hard nugs. :man_shrugging: The ones in the front are MAG Landrace

6 Likes

I am going to get some plastic coated 14 or 12 gauge wire. Thinking of making a shepherds crook and putting the wire straight into the soil.

Need to add the holes at the rim as the branches get close.

I do concur. Is this the correct count on the nodes? It seems that there are 2 main lines. Do the first two leaves get removed? The 4 mainlines originate from the crotch of the nodes?

They are really taking off now. I am sure I will be ready to top one of them by Sunday at the latest.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful sight to behold @BU2B
I can only hope for such a haul. I am planning on one of the girls to be PPP trained. More photos to come.

2 Likes

Here is subject 2 ready to top. Correct spot?

Just want to make sure.

4 Likes

Will do in the morning. I was planning on cutting right below the next node.

4 Likes

From this morning subject #2 topped.

These plants are really taking off right now. Moved the light up an inch again, should be able to top subject #4 tonight or tomorrow.

5 Likes

#3 odd looking leaf and plant structure. Not like any of the other Sister Seeds.

3 Likes

I scanned the tutorial on sexing cannabis. Here is a couple of marked up photos for sexing questions and top views as well of #'s 1,3 and 4

It seems that all 4 are looking feminine.
I sprayed the 1n done last night. I can see some of residue on the leaves this morning.
There are no bugs to be seen either on top or underneath.

Subject 1 is much taller than the others #3 is still peeked looking. Headed to the home despot on sunday for training materials.

7 Likes

Spring is on the way! All the girls are producing again. The khaki color has been laying all winter but doesn’t lay all summer. Weirdo

10 Likes

There’s always a ‘weirdo’… I think it’s a rule or something… :vulcan_salute:

I’ll ‘bet a nickel’ it’s a boy… :smile:

Cheers
G

7 Likes

There is ALWAYS at least one in the crowd! Weirdo that is.

3 Likes

I wanted to bring the current photos to this thread today.

Plant 1 is definitively female,

#2 is leaning that way in my opinion a

This is number 3 the odd ball.

And #4 has the tiniest of hair.

6 Likes

Here is a photo of what I did to #4 to spread her out.

6 Likes

Nice Pics!

#1 & 4 definitely Fem!
#2 still indeterminate I think. The two tall stalks at the branch node are called Stipules. It’s the little nubs behind the Stips that show male or fem. I see a nub behind the stip on #2, but can’t tell M/F from the shape yet and no pistil hair is showing. Here’s a useful diagram

Nice work on the Low Stress Training (LST) on the female plants. You’ve seen the drill of gently bending them down and out from the center. I find that incremental is the way, little by little, day by day to avoid them breaking off clean at the node. Earlier is better since they get brittle as they wood up.

We’ll also remove the lowest leaves way down at the bottom but that may be best done one plant at a time with good pics and a brief discussion before beginning. It’s a real trade off removing leaves because they are the solar panels for the plant. So we go slow. They’ll try to bend up towards the light beyond your first tie down but you should be able to use the holes in the top edge of your pot next. Beyond that we let them grow free.

6 Likes

Photo Bomb Update:

Still undecided about the sex of number 2.

Plant 1 not topped. Stretch should be done. Lots of hair and looks like budding action has begun.

La Runt: #3. Is this a female?

7 Likes

So what is the general opinion about which is best. Topping or bending them over and letting the top keep growing?

3 Likes

Excellent work on the LST! This plant is taking the pruning and training perfectly. Big and robust I like it. :+1: :+1:

The smaller 1st node branches should be trained to fill the gaps by turning them 45 degrees off the axis of the main branches. For example in your picture the right hand purple arrow pointing at the small branch is the direction to rotate that branch, the opposite side small branch should be pulled towards the camera.

Look at the plant from the top and pretend to be a photon. You are training each branch into an area that can see the light.

Next step: If you look at each branch straight on down its stem from the side, you’ll notice that the new nodes alternate horizontally then vertically. We’re going to snip the nodes pointing downward toward the soil. They have nowhere to go and we need the air circulation to avoid disease. You should wait awhile to let them fill in a bit. Every leaf a solar panel…

Make sense?
Since these are autoflower plants you might not normally resort to these training techniques, but the high humidity in your case suggests prioritizing good airflow to avoid mold & mildew.

Your light should be at 11" and 50-75%, 600-750 PPFD. Ramp up over a couple of days and “Listen” to your plants. If they are all this big you’re going to be very glad for that second light soon!

7 Likes