Actually tasting cannabis when you smoke it

This may just be me - or what I’ve grown - but I don’t really get any specific flavour when I smoke a j or even vape weed.

Sometimes there is a more distinct flavour - but by in large I find the taste generic. (Even when there are different scents to all grass)

Am I missing something? Is it just that my shit ain’t shit? I mean I’ve been smoking for almost 30 years - I’ve had lots of different grass over those years and nothing has ever jumped out at me as really translating the scent to flavour.

I dunno - just seems weird - it seems like people really tasting different varieties is the norm. Would love to hear what you all find.

6 Likes

You know I was thinking something similar today that I couldn’t really taste the difference between a couple kinds of weed and honestly couldn’t tell if one was better than the others…I try to find lemony flavors or fruity just to have around as a change of taste… I like a clean one hitter as far as tasters go

4 Likes

I don’t feel so bad now , I’m not alone in my disability lol

5 Likes

if you take a break for a few weeks you will notice the flavors and potency again -
at least I do

8 Likes

I’m not a huge smoker that’s the thing. In my youth I was an all day everyday dude - then life happens and smoking constantly no longer works for me.

So from an effect standpoint - no issues. It’s more flavour…

Are there varietals that people really notice they can taste?

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve been growing my own for about 3 years and maybe im buying the right genetics or it’s the organic soil grow that blows up the flavors for me, or the art of the perfect cure. I only average a bit over a 1/2 oz of premo dried buds per plant, but flavor and potency are unworldly amazing. I hope you guys find the answer to that because fine flavor is my second favorite part of this awesome plant. I grow indoors and keep my plants small and manageable with my small setup. I grow for myself only so I like having more varieties of super tasty bouquet buds rather than monster yields of commercial grade smoke. Good luck

4 Likes

I can tell the difference in each and every strain I have put up
Wife says it all tastes like pot but yeah I can tell the diff.

8 Likes

I find first cpl puffs i get the new fresh taste if its something I havent been smoking a ton of. But after a few puffs it just tastes ‘like weed’.

This Icecream Cake 100% tastes like cake tho its wild

4 Likes

Interesting - would love to know what varietals you are running?

I agree taste should be paramount - I’m just trying to find what need to grow to get a taste that translates.

I do grow organic - maybe slightly larger plants than you (although I’m looking to downsize that).

Would love to hear about your varietals and grow style :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very cool - I do notice a slight taste difference in varietals, but not like “wow this California Orange coats my mouth is orange tang”…

That wedding cake sounds awesome! Jealous

2 Likes

Yeah, im with @Fishface and @OleReynard. Some strains dont have much of a taste, but they all taste different. Smell that translates into taste during a smoke is #1 in my book as to what I’m looking for when I am trying new strains/thinking about keeping it.

If I was you, I’d work on getting some other strains to try where other people have told you the taste translates to the smoke.

4 Likes

Try some concentrates. When you eliminate the combustion of plant material the flavours really shine.

5 Likes

Right now I’m running ethos genetics-planet of the grapes, and lilac diesel. I also have another vanilla frosting by humbolt seed co, that is one of the most weird mixtures of actual vanilla frosting and fuel which go together in ways that don’t make sense. I only run seeds from reputable breeders. Right now I’m just 2 weeks into veg, but just harvested sweet tooth by Barney’s farms, dark star and critical hog by TH seeds, and the vanilla frosting by humbolt seed co just over a month ago. I’m not a pro, but I’m 100% happy with what I’m doing. Happy 420

2 Likes

Yup - always trying to pop new (to me) stuff each round.

1 Like

Love concentrates!

It’s funny shatter has a specific taste - but I didn’t notice much difference between varieties. That being said it was some black market shatter and I got off it because I worried if it was being purged properly.

Purchased a cartridge of “skittles” from the Ontario cannabis store and it had a very profound floral taste which waS interesting.

I’m actually interested in learning how to make my own concentrate to use in a pen - not interested in butane but I could do ISO or ethanol extraction (and have done both). I imagine rosin in the way to do though.

2 Likes

smoking tabac kills taste buds as does growing old if your getting on a bit and still smoke tabac that’s a certain killer of everything

2 Likes

Try dabbing some rosin in quartz banger… the flavor is unreal and you will 100% notice a vast difference in flavor between the different genetics

2 Likes

Most strains will have somewhat of their own flavor if grown and cured well, but the flavors are usually pretty subtle. Most weed really does seem to mostly just taste like ‘weed’ lol. There are usually hints or undertones of say orange pine etc, but it’s not overwhelming.

Those really standout flavors are purely genetic imo. I’ve been pheno hunting the last couple years and have been through quite a few strains. I’ve had lots of good tasting nugs, but only a couple TASTY plants.

One was a godbud x blueberry that I found a seed of in my outdoor. Big chunky plant that reeked like rotting orange. A very strong, thick rotting orange smoke with a piney aftertaste left in your mouth. Just an awesome plant, but it hermed to shit so I killed it. I smoked some yesterday it tastes even better after a long cure…

The other is the guava hashplant x c99. I had 5 phenols and they were all strongly flavored. The one I kept is like a pineapple/coffee/fuel type of thing. It’s very distinctive and I could pick it out of a lineup of doobs no problem.

Hazes often have crazy strong flavors. To me ‘haze’ tastes like electric rootbeer lol. I’ve had some really nice durbans that are like floral/perfumey licorice. White widow has some great tasty phenos, we used to have a super lemony one. There used to be a pheno of serious seeds chronic that tasted very strongly of grape bubblegum and yielded huge…

Then if course there’s all the kushes that seem to share that very distinctive KUSH flavor. I don’t know what I’d call it it’s similar to hashplant but with melon or something? Regardless I’ve had many kushes from many places that had that unique overlying flavor.

Anyways enough stoned rambling there lol, my conclusion is that it’s all about digging through tons of plants to find those really stellar flavors :drooling_face:

6 Likes

The way I “learned” to taste weed was after smoking cigars for a bit. One thing you can do is when you take a hit, blow the tail end out through your nose (it has some taste buds in it), and also “chew” on the smoke as it goes out. The chewing will help stimulate a part of your brain that’ll help you perceive flavors (at least what I was told, but alas im not a neuroscientist so I cant say thats true). Another thing to do is grind up fresh coffee and put it in a sealed jar (like a weed curing one), and before every hit, take a deep whiff of the coffee, exhale, then take your hit and do as mentioned above. The coffee will cleanse your pallet (I dont think it cleanses it but more or less prevents destimulation of the olfactory nerves), so you can get more of a flavor that way.

5 Likes

Very cool!

Electric root beer sounds like perfection… I have never grown a haze plant… something to consider.

The C99 x Guava looks stunning - missed out on it :). I did just cut an NL x C99 plant and it smells outrageous - maybe it’s taste will translate. I’ll know in a few weeks.

So they do exist - just harder to find… so the hunt will continue!

3 Likes