Afghan strain directly from Afghanistan?

They probably got that in the “we can wait a few years to bust these guys” file. Probably lower security clearance for that than the “topple governments” file.

Thank you, I missed the site when it was closed so many years ago…

I love collecting genetics as well as spreading them, I got goodies to pass around- some gold ones too :wink:

1 Like

I’ll check it out thanks

Absolutely, I have a few nice strains to trade on if you’re interested

1 Like

That sounds promising

I have Mazar I sharif that was brought back by a British soldier. They been in the fridge for a few years.

4 Likes

Kwikseeds.com is the best place to get The Real Seed Company stateside.

2 Likes

How did the Tashkurgan turn out?

1 Like

Came here to say the same …

1 Like

Hey dude. Thanks for asking. I got 5 males from 5 seeds so kept the best looking male to cross to something else so can’t really report too much apart from the structure of the male. Indoors stays medium height. Very wide, splayed fan leaves on really long petioles so take up quite a lot of floor space. No idea what I’m going to cross it to. Took an age to display sex. I have a couple of central american landrace strains so maybe those.

2 Likes

Actually now I come to think of it. My friend just brought back some seeds from India. Kerala Gold, Shilavati and some other strain known locally as mango.

2 Likes

I got 12 Tashkurgan from RSC, just popped them. One of the 12 was a small seed, I’m expecting 10-11 to sprout up. I’m putting them in NorCal sun during the day and also giving them some supplemental light at night (I understand a landrace would be more authentic with just outdoor natural light, but I want them a few feet tall when put in the ground in May). Most breeding I do for cultivars that will be grown outdoors centers around pheno hunts of plants that live outdoors and are acclimated, but most growers around here start seeds before spring so they can get 5+pound monsters; so the supplemental light is necessary to prevent premature flowering and to size them up. The old regulations enforcing plant counts has made growing monsters a tradition.
My plan is to top each plant in a month or so, take the cutting and immediately flower it. Analyze the flower (potency, aroma, flavor) from the cut and then analyze the original seedlings for structure etc, then select the best Tashkurgan female to be pollinated. I will probably use the best Tashkurgan male too, but I also have a few other males of my outdoor genetics being grown this spring on other farms I may use. I understand 12 plants is a small pheno hunt, but the Tashkurgan is more for fun at this point and the bigger pheno hunts are for plants that hit market. I’m expecting lower than average cannabinoid numbers, with quite a bit of CBD. Besides resin, I’ll probably select primarily for uniqueness and aroma. I also have other Afghan cultivars that I may cross into the Tashkurgan. I like that the Tashkurgan is from Northern Afghanistan, which is close to the same latitude here in NorCal.

9 Likes

Nice! I just picked up some Tashkurghan from RSC as well! I was thinking about putting some in water soon. I might have to think about a different cultivar and see how your Tashkurghans do. :slight_smile: :v:

3 Likes

you never know dude. I just read about the THCP cannabinoid found or identified by some scientists in Italy testing a medical CBD variety with low THC. THCP is supposedly something stupid like 33 times more effective than THC and 63 times more than THCV and apparently would go some way to explaining why it is that landrace strains can send you more sideways than high THC varieties. I may be getting capital letters in the wrong place there so do excuse my ignorance if I am.

And please nobody shoot me if I am wrong - I am more than happy to be. Just something I read and am repeating. Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable can chime in.

I like the dude from the RSC though. He’s a well spoken English dude who has actually gone out to these places and put in serious research. People love to piss on his chips because he’s opinionated but I’m down with him.

7 Likes

Yeah I guess you don’t know until you test it. I’ve heard of THCP and that it has a high affinity for the cannabinoid receptor (CB1). I’m not sure if landraces in general have higher rates of THCP, but I have heard African sativas having more THCV, so maybe. I believe THCP is found in very small quantities, less than 1%. In general, landraces test lower in cannabinoids; I think the main reason being that they don’t have the same selection process as they do in the West. The West spent quite a bit of resources in selecting phenos for THC%, while landraces are often open pollinated. That being said, the THCP probably has an effect that hasn’t been well documented yet and there are qualities to landraces that are lacking in selected western hybrids. I think landraces are likely to need less attention if grown in the right environment.
The RSC dude, Angus, is knowledgeable and it is interesting to hear about the RSC genetics from him. He engages with his customers, which is a positive trait. I try not to piss on his chips, but for example, he told me the elevation of Tashkurgan (Kholm) was 145 meters, but I’m finding it closer to 500 meters (I also like to grow landraces at a similar elevation). I don’t think he personally recovered the Tashkurgan from the source in Northern Afghanistan, but overall he does amazing work.

2 Likes

That environmental triggers different expressions is fascinating. Having grown same varieties indoor and outdoor, it’s amazing how different and nuanced they can be. Good idea to try and match your conditions. Interesting also how acclimatising varieties can reduce negative traits like hermaphroditism.

Cannabis can “revert” to type also I believe. Like you see in other species of plants like Euonymus where variegated leaves revert to one colour etc.

Makes me want to grow different varieties in different locations to see what they’ll do.

4 Likes

Anybody have opinions on which afghani/pakistani/etc landraces have the ‘bakery’ and ‘coffee’ kind of smells?

I don’t know about that, but way to bring this thread back from the dead! Two years! You’re going to the vault :grinning::+1::green_heart:

3 Likes

Hey man! Did you ever grow out those Tashkurghans? :v:

3 Likes