Afghani, Afghani Kush and Hindu Kush -- Differences?

My best guess would be “survival rate”.

19 Likes

Wow lefthandseeds, that daku sounds amazing. I love thin leaf afghanis. s1’s should be really interesting. you may get some genetic throwback recessive phenos which could be very cool. being a landrace/local heirloom though, some of the deeper landrace expressions might not be suitable for indoor/artificial light cultivation. I wonder if the increased genetic diversity of a landrace will promote better sexual stability in fems than modern polyhybrids.

you might also consider hitting another batch of daku clones with some kind of reliable heirloom male, the results could potentially be more predictable given that they will primarily be expressions of dominant traits. plus the males from that line would give you the opportunity to make back crosses to the s1 fems.

was that you working on the jungle spice f2’s and hybrids?
do you have any other grow threads? you’re working with some very interesting genetics.

10 Likes

Thanks! yea, the Jungle Spice Bodhi reproduction is my grow thread too. These two projects are about all I can handle at the moment.

I appreciate the input on what to do with these Daku clones. I’ve been considering a few options. This run I am making some S1s, and I sourced another Afghani narrow leaf that I’m scrambling to get into the flower tent.

So, after this run, I should end up with S1s, Daku x Deep Chunk F12 and Daku x Afghani NLD. Although it might be really cool, I’m not as interested in working with the Daku x Deep Chunk crosses, because the DC is so different than the Daku. But for the next run, I’m debating between three options:

• Select from the S1 population for the best Daku and outcross it to a new male from the Afghani NLD (with the intention that the 3rd generation would be a backcross to the S1 generation)
  • Select from the Daku x Afghani NLD population and backcross using the original pollen collected from the reversal
  • Select from the Daku x Afghani NLD population and backcross it to the S1 generation

I’m leaning toward the first, because I’ve only gotten to see one representation of the landrace, and the variety in the S1 generation might have something cool. Also the resulting seeds from the first method will be regular, instead of female seeds from the last two.

FYI – I am planning on getting these genetics out to some people eventually. I’ll probably give out some of the Daku x DC seeds to some folks here after this grow, and eventually distribute some seeds from wherever this project ends up.

15 Likes

I cant recall where exactly but im pretty sure ive read multiple reports of hindu kush being very sedative.

I recall someone talking soecifically about Bodhis Old School hindu kush being a super narco strain.

7 Likes

The first option sounds best to me too

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

i think ones just a bed in a shared room hostel style, 50 is probably small private room with just a bed and 300 is prob a bigger private room with bathroom maybe. i think you can also book your own accommodations but it’d probably be safer not driving back and forth every day who knows.

judging by the numbers though, you’re probably more likely to die from an American airstrike than anything else

4 Likes

sounds like an amazing breeding plan. can’t wait to follow along with these projects.
great job on the jungle spice project as well, I’ve been really enjoying that grow thread.

3 Likes

I added a grow log for the Afghani’s above here!: https://overgrow.com/t/afghaniganza-daku-deep-chunk-and-lowland

8 Likes

Can’t open that link…

1 Like

I guess when you edit the title the link stops working. Here’s the link:

6 Likes

The ones on the right look like my old Afghan i got from Emory way back in the 80’s…Squat little plants that woul knock your socks off.

4 Likes

Those are the deep chunk plants I had. They are by far the densest growing plants I’ve ever grown. It’s like a cabbage.

8 Likes

I tried to cross master kush with Afghan male plant it produced a lot seeds sad part was I didn’t support my plant with a cage or anything and it got top heavy and was forced to harvest early so I now got over 500 seeds of a plant I cant grow because branches are not strong enough to support bud weight and I only grow indoors for privacy reasons

4 Likes

@noragrets sounds like it’s time to search those f2’s for early extra branching or use multiple trellis nets every 6 inches of height until you feel secure in it’s ability to hold weight

5 Likes

^^

I think this is a good idea as well. If you can’t find what you’re looking for in your next gen, then you could consider outcrossing to something that has stronger stems. Mazar or black domina might be some good candidates.

6 Likes

@nube it was iirc that had a description of bud structure with kush being one type and OG being the other. Somewhere in one of the Bodhi threads I believe and I can’t find the reference from a search. anyway thinking that your Afghani could be an OG?

1 Like

How do you remove a refined Hindu Kush (OG) away from it’s Hindu Kush roots??? It’s an HK no matter what.

Anyone have experience with Hazeman’s Hindu Kush f2’s? Curious about searching that line for some good healing type night medicine.

1 Like

Naw, but from what I’ve heard, his reproductions/preservations of 90s/early 2000s strains tend to be pretty spot on. He’s an older guy, and been growing and breeding since then in Michigan, so he’s pretty well positioned to have access to the old popular medical strains. I’ve grown his LA Pure Kush and it was a nice California Afghani, rock hard golf balls that busted into very crystally grind, good sift return, the nose was marshmallow, lime, earthy wood, nice and relaxing without being narcotic.

3 Likes

Cheers man. You got any pics of the LAPK? I have a plant late flower now that I think might be a LAPK leaning pheno.

1 Like