Afghaniganza 3: Girls Gahn Wild

Very cool :sunglasses: this will be a fun one to follow.

Those afghanis have some chunky flower clusters. Gets me all hot and sweaty, these wild afghani girls that is. :v:

11 Likes

First update here. Not a whole lot to see yet, but 2nd leaf sets are starting to come out. This next week will be much faster with a transplant to the mid-size pots by the end of the week.

These are all BlackDak x Black Afghani (and 2 super malawi haze). Iā€™m on a male hunt first, and will follow it through with the LowDak x Cherry Queen Females.

16 Likes

Which seed banks sell your beans? Or do you have a seed list? @lefthandseeds

Editā€¦sorry, do you sell seeds?..lol

4 Likes

I sometimes sell a pack or two on strainly, but generally no. Iā€™m not passionate about the business aspect. As a hobbyist, I can pursue unprofitable breeding paths. You start trying to seriously make a buck, and youā€™ve gotta be prepared to give up what you want for what the market wants.

I just want to breed what I like. I want to have the time to stabilize my lines. Sometimes I give away testers to people here. They get free seeds, I get help exploring lines. Thatā€™s the way I like to do it. Weed rich. :gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem::gem:

30 Likes

Oh no not another lefty thread to get lost in color me appalled :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Once again best of luck sir

7 Likes

Flower Day 2

I switched these over to 12/12 yesterday. Not too much else to say just yet. Green tags came from BD#1 and orange tags from BD#5 (my two favorite of the BlackDak moms). Hand feeding for now. I only have 8 outlets on my pump, so Iā€™ll have to cull some before I can take a rest.

Hereā€™s the Super Malawi Haze

Eventually will head into my flower tent with some other ladies when they grow up a bit.

18 Likes

Flower Day 10

Just starting into stretch over here. Iā€™m starting to see some preflowers coming out, and these guys and gals are drying out their pots daily. In a few more days, Iā€™ll sex the plants and start to cull. For the SMH, Iā€™ll be up-potting soon and transferring it to my other tent. Iā€™ll probably keep the best looking female or two from this batch and F2 them from the males as well. The rest of what I keep of these will all be males, and Iā€™ll start the LowDak x Cherry Queen for the female hunt in a few weeks.

22 Likes

@lefthandseeds
Those are some tiny pots for flowering!

What size are they?

4 Likes

Along for the show very interested in your gear
I think the choice of the usc black Afghan is a great one to use love there work
Peace

5 Likes

Haha yea I donā€™t like to waste media on males. I think those are somewhere between a pint and a quart. Pretty small. Even still, Iā€™ll get 3-4ft plants. Coco is amazingā€¦

@Papalag stick around and Iā€™ll probably have some testers. I usually give out my extra seeds as testers from my best plants at the end of my grows. I also just finished a pure sativa Durban that I crossed to my Jungle Spice (Congolese landrace x 88g13hp) resin male.

14 Likes

Thank you for posting all this! Iā€™m really stoked on all the Afghan/Kush lines youā€™re working with! The USC Black Afghani sounds amazing! Iā€™m still learning about different Afghans so canā€™t wait to hear what you like and are looking for out of these genetics. :v:

7 Likes

Iā€™m curious how you determined/decided to switch to flower. Size? Time? Node count? Previous experience with strains?

4 Likes

I tend not to grow very large plants so that I can get numbers up. Especially on this current set, Iā€™m just keeping the males, so I want to get them producing pollen as quickly as possible. Usually 3 (4 at most) weeks from seed and Iā€™m flowering plants.

Especially good for these Super Malawi Haze, because theyā€™re 90% sativas and will probably run 90+ days. Earlier flowering helps to keep them from getting too yuge.

10 Likes

Flower Day 13

Culled

Group

Culling 2 plants today. They have strange leaf mutations from the Black Afghani side. One has holes in the leavesā€¦ inspected with a loupe, and canā€™t find any bugs. I think itā€™s genetic. None of the other plants have it.

I want to select shorter male phenos. Loving the fat, hollow stems on these. The rest have softer serrations, similar to the BlackDak side. Seems that almost all of the #5ā€™s are turning out male (orange dot)ā€¦ at least 4/5 ended up males. I have about 6 confirmed, good looking males so far. Hoping to get a few more to do a little more pre-selection.

15 Likes

Great looking plants man. The Blackdak and black Afghani allow for such variation. I have so many smells being thrown. What are you getting with them? Iā€™ve got a fruity one and a skunk one which is a wide variation haha

8 Likes

When you findā€™em, let me know!
Shorter 'ghani is something I want to add to the stable, for breeding if nothing else.
That would be some great pollenā€¦

5 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed mostly skunky smells so far. They smell really nice. I havenā€™t done a real close inspection on all of them yet though. Just occasionally stem rubbing and sniffing the ones near the front. By the end of this week, Iā€™ll pick out 2-3 of the best females for F2s, and then Iā€™ll really get a chance to determine whatā€™s in there.

Working on it! There was definitely some Mazar/Hindu that came out in the BlackDaks, which made them a little bigger than I wanted. Iā€™d like to pull it back toward a small/medium sized plant when I get down to inbreeding selection. Iā€™ll probably get started on this round picking smaller plants, unless one of the tall males is too compelling to pass on. You can see the height differences so far. Taller ones are maybe 4-6" above the shorter phenos.

9 Likes

They are some tall growing ladiesā€¦

2 Likes

Flower Day 18

Super Malawi Haze

Surprising wide leaves on these twoā€¦ it looks like they might finally be starting to narrow out on one plant, but Iā€™m a little hesitant to call these a ā€œ90% sativaā€ as per Aceā€™s info.

BlackDak x Black Afghani

Females

Decided to keep 3 females. I have some other plants that are 2ish weeks from finishing in there now. Should be enough time for those to complete before these start bulking up.

I picked 2 short phenos and 1 tall pheno. Weā€™ll see how they go!

Males

As far as project goals, these are the ones I care about. I killed off one really nice male. Super wide hollow main stem, but just too damn tall. I have several short phenos to choose from, and a few that are tall. Likely going to choose the best short pheno. When I get back, it should be time to make selections and do pollination.

16 Likes

Flower day 27 (males)

Well I took off for about a week and came back to some explosive males. Most are dropping pollen at this point. The 3rd picture shows the shortest male, growing in a compact structure with the least development so far. I think this one is pretty heavily black afghani leaning (pic 4 shows leaf pigmentation, that is suggestive as well). It expresses some of the same leaf mutations and is shooting off some pistils from the male flowers. I like the short height of it, but I think I might need to pass on this one. The pistils on males doesnā€™t necessarily worry me, and people like Rosenthal and DJ Short talk favorably about them. However, since Iā€™ve seen balls pop out at the end of flower in this line, I will probably pass on it.

Most of the males stem rub smells similar. Very strong black afghani scent, along with a strong whiff of menthol. A few males that were shorter last week seemed to blow up and grow tall as well. Only 2 stayed short, and neither are what Iā€™m looking for.

I think the male in picture #2 is very good. Itā€™s tall, but not the tallest male. It has very good branching structure and flowers stacking. High number of flowers for the number of fans, and I donā€™t think it carries any of the leaf mutations. I think Iā€™m talking myself into using it as my selection lol.

15 Likes