Afghaniganza 3: Girls Gahn Wild

A few more male shots:

This is the one in the back left side of the tent. Deep serrations, and some leaf mutations on the back lobes.

That one hit the light. I think it’s slightly shorter than some of the others, but hard to know for sure. A few pistils on this guy as well if you really zoom it.

13 Likes

I’d like to get able to run all males also.
Too concerned with the girls

6 Likes

If I’m not concerned with wasting seeds, I like to run them sequentially. These are all from crosses I’ve made, so I don’t have any problem culling the fems, because I still have at least 100 more seeds to work with… and they didn’t cost me $5-10 per seed.

Speaking of…

More seeds hitting the water today. Primarily the LowDak x Cherry Queens from the 2 best moms, and a few S.A.D. Black Domina S1s. These will be following behind the males in the tent, and the SAD will replace a few spots that should be opening up in my always fem tent.

16 Likes

I foresee you making more beans.
Lol

9 Likes

BlackDak x Black Afghani Females

Short Pheno

Tall Pheno

Since I collected pollen today, decided it was time to pollinate the females I did keep. I culled one of the shorter females and kept the better of the two. But so far, I think I like the tall pheno better… fuckin tall phenos. Pretty narrow leaves coming in on the top of the tall one. Reminds me of the black afghani.

I’m also have some shots of the super malawi haze, but I’m gonna put them in my other thread with the panama haze & grapefruit.

12 Likes

Have you grown these out before, Lefty?
Which is the better pheno of the two?

6 Likes

No, this is the first time for me, so we’ll find out around the end of the month. I’ve grown out all of components in the cross and have seen all of their phenos. The vintage Black Afghani (Kandahar) has a few kinks to work out, but I’m hoping I can bring out a few of the really nice attributes from that side – mainly potency & terpenes.

I wanted to use this cross in my polyghani project, rather than the PTK… to try and keep this almost entirely an Afghani polyhybrid, rather than adding in Paki genetics from the other side of the mountain range. I actually like to smoke the Black Afghani more than PTK on its own, but the PTK hybrid looks really nice and might be worth doing some breeding on it’s own.

Anyway, polyghani is going to be a pretty wide sandbox of Afghani genetics. I have a lot of familiarity with all of the strains involved at this point, and am really looking forward to doing selections when I start inbreeding.

10 Likes

Who did you get your vintage black from?

3 Likes

That one is a preserved line from USC. It’s been mentioned that it’s also called Kandahar Black in some circles. I think it was bred by some Russian breeders and kept pure since around the late 70s.

10 Likes

I know you told me this all before but unless I write this stuff down, ill be asking again.

6 Likes

No worries – I’ve done a lot of research on Afghanis, and these Black Afghanis are really interesting.

There are 2 main phenos in the line, one that finishes around 8 weeks and one around 10 weeks. The 10 week pheno is superior in almost every regard… better potency and terpenes. They have relatively narrow leaves throughout, with dark green foliage and sometimes black pigmentation. The 10 week pheno also throws out balls in the last few days, which I think is common for Afghanis of this vintage. I think 79 Xmas Bud is known to do the same. Not necessarily an issue, because the plant is likely infertile at that point, but serves no practical purpose for indoor growing, especially in a mixed strain environment where it could contaminate a plant of another grow. I will be selecting away from this trait…

Narrower leaf widths and longer flowering times is actually a trait of vintage Afghans. As I understand it, sometime around the mid to late 70s, hashish was becoming a major export and part of the Afghan economy. The king made a decree that production needed to be boosted to meet the demand, and in order to fulfill his wishes, the people started growing varieties with shorter flowering times (and also wider leaves). However, the hash from the narrower leafed plants was widely regarded as being of higher quality. Although we typically think of Afghanis as being squat, fat leaf plants (such as Deep Chunk), this was not so common historically. I think you can still find narrow leaf Lowland varieties, but it is not as easy as it was. The Lowland Afghani from Nuglab that I used to make LowDak had some resemblances to the vintage strains. I think the Mazar-i-sharif region mostly kept their vintage varieties, which is probably why their hash is more coveted today.

I was excited when the Landrace Team made a trip to Iran and collected genetics. I expect to see resemblance to the vintage Afghan lines, due to it being a more closed off neighboring country. I have about 20 beans that I’m going to put into water hopefully this year.

14 Likes

Narrow leafed afghanis, Snow has a narrow leaf and I may of told you this but those SSSC black domina were also narrow leaved.

7 Likes

:+1: gonna check it out. I think I’ll throw a bunch and do a selection. I want to use it as a male for my BlackDak.

6 Likes

I’d love to see a Lady Domina…

7 Likes

You talking about a cross between first lady and black Domina?

5 Likes

The ones that throw a purple leaf in veg…

5 Likes

Anyone got those old Black Domina’s still, besides Snow?

There’s good hunting to be done in the originals.

5 Likes

Nope these came thru NDNguy originally.
Don’t know about where Snow got his narrow leaf from, he normally grabs his own from origin.

I do have his heart of darkness beans that is the narrow leaf speciman.

I got F2’S of the sssc bd.

9 Likes

Bob hemphill from coastal seeds got his BD from old 90s sensi stock.

6 Likes

I have there NL x BD not so impressive

3 Likes