Afghaniganza! NOW Black Afghani, Cherry Queen, Black Leb and Blue Hemp Leb

@lefthandseeds have you smoked the la confidential ,its rather good if not you may want to keep one to make some more pure seeds of it or at least smoke it up , sorry I’m always thinking bout beans lol they all look like there coming along great

6 Likes

I’ve got ~10 more seeds, so I’m not too concerned. But also @8k_feet might take them.

2 Likes

Blue Hemp Lebanese Males

Here’s the male tent. On the left side of the tent are the Lebanese. One of the lebs has super narrow leaves. They are growing and flowering FAST, even compared to all of the Afghani’s next to them. They grow like lightning and suck down water like crazy. A few male flowers have already opened. These Lebs will finish crazy fast… narrow leaves, finish faster than an Afghani… what other secrets do you hold, my children.

I’ve been out of town since Wednesday, but it looks like they needed to have increased feedings to 2x per day.

Cherry Queen male

Wow! what a chunky guy. I think we’re gonna see a pretty high flower density on this specimen. Solid males. I have two, so I’ll do some stem rubs. If both appear to be pretty good and neither stands out, I’ll use both and save selection for another round.

Black Afghani

This is the better of the two black afghanis. This one has been growing very well, and I’m also happy with the flower density of this one. It’s been praying hard the whole time. I’m happy about using this one to reproduce my Black Afghani line. I’ll also use it to cross with the Black Lebanon.

Males Group

There are two females in there. I have 6 males, and I might get 2 PTK males from @8k_feet in their place.

Female Tent Left (Lebanese)

Supercropping the shit out of these today. Also pretty were thirsty, and now that I’m back from vacation, I’ll fix that. Growing and flowering very fast, just like the males. The black lebanon might be a tad slower than the blue hemp, but I don’t think by much. They’re all hungry. They’re yellowing a bit on the bottom. I did drop out the N, but also they haven’t been getting enough food. Not sure which it is.

One of the Black Lebanon’s is a shorty. Lots of variation in these Lebs in general.

Female Tent Right (Afghani)

The Afghanis are all pretty chill and growing well. Supercropped one of the black afghanis.

Some nice plants in here. I need to get the 3 LA Confidential to the right out ASAP so I’m not restricting anyone’s space.

16 Likes

LA Confidential

Black Afghani

Had to corpse a few plants. But thankfully not all LA Confidentials were put in body bags today, as @8k_feet lightened up my tent a bit for me. I have no LA’s left, but we sprankled some blue hemp Lebanese and Cherry queen pollen on a few small buds before he took them away.

I’m down to 8 plants in my main flower tent and 7 males, with a PTK male that @8k_feet dropped off. That’ll be a nice addition to the crew. I’ll probably use it on the Lebs, maybe an Afghani or two… we’ll see.

25 Likes

@lefthandseeds, check out these shit girls. … (Afghan dom skunk #1) not pure Afghan of course but def Afghan dom. #1 smells of straight dry roast in your cup coffee, and #2 like burnt rubber factory.

22 Likes

Nice! Those definitely look Afghani to me. First time growing that strain?

5 Likes

Yes sir, it is the plan was to take the best skunk 91 male and hit these ladies with it, and see what becomes.:grin:

8 Likes

Excellent @Jamescoldflame. Sounds like that would work out famously! Good Growin ‘ bro!

:cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Lebanese

Leaves on the black lebanon are starting turn color. Really cool to see! The black lebanon look like they’re going to yield more, and are also frostier. The blue hemp are definitely more sativa-like in some ways… Funny though, there isn’t a lot of branching. They almost grow in a quasi-afghani structure, with mostly just 1 main stem and a few branches on the bottom. Despite being NLD, it’s pretty cool that they’re going to finish really early, and grow with a compact structure.

Afghanis

The cherry queens are doing very nicely. One of my black afghanis is also starting to pack it in, while the other is a little behind.

I’ve pollinated everything on separate branches, and marked them with tape. I still need to pollinate with some PTK pollen as soon as it starts dropping. I think it might be getting too late for Lebanese/PTK crosses, but I still want to do the Afghanis which look like they’re going to take a week or two longer.

21 Likes

One of the crosses I’m looking forward to testing from this run is the Black Lebanon x Black Afghani. I know there’s an old hashplant called the Skelly hashplant that’s apparently bred from similar genetics. Allegedly, the Afghani used was a pre Soviet Kandahar, just like the Black Afghani I’m growing here. Apparently in that strain, very skunky phenos are often found. Should be interesting to see if similar terps come out of mine.

I am starting see the value of crossing the two lines. I think if I select correctly from the next generations, it will be a very useful hashplant for hybridization with sativas. I know that Afghanis can be very dominant in F1s… I hypothesize that first crossing to the Lebanese may help preserve a lot of the desirable features of the Afghani, but “soften” some of the characteristics when applying it to a sativa… That and make it finish even earlier. We’ll see!

14 Likes

those lebanese plants in the second and third photo from the top look exactly like some of my rsc lebanese phenos. great job man, this is amazing to see all these different lebanese and afghani variants grown side by side for direct comparison and observation.

6 Likes

Are you placing multiple different pollens on one plant? Awesome. What are the chances the pollen mixes when you do that? I love the strains you are working with BTW

7 Likes

Spectacular Afghani Jiz is in the air! Very impressive @zephyr. That touch of Sativa should make a hell of a hybrid. Good Stuff Brother!

3 Likes

Yes I am. It’s definitely possible… I try to keep em separated heeyyheyooo.

I collect pollen first and apply it directly to the buds with a paint brush or qtip. I think that this method is the cleanest way I’ve found.

I’m also more interested in line breeding than F1s. In most cases, I think I could distinguish if there was cross pollination on the next grow… playing the one of these things is not like the others game.

13 Likes

I’ve got a male about 1 week into flower and have never dealt with pollen before I’d like to collect and store it to do small single branch pollinations like that over time. Any tips?

I know I can freeze it, but won’t taking it in and out of the freezer ruin it?

6 Likes

Yeah you should consider it a one use only from the freezer. Refreezing might work, but I’d expect it to lose some efficacy every time you freeze and unfreeze.

The best thing to do is dry it out as best you can. The easiest way is to put it in an airtight bag or canister with a dessicant. Leave it in the bag with the dessicant in a dark place for a day or two and then put the whole thing in the freezer until you want to use it.

If you want to use the pollen more than once, divide it into separate bags and freeze them separately.

Somewhere on this site I’ve also shown my dry box. I use a sealed box with glove ports to dessicate the pollen and then seal it in vials without breaking the airtight seal. I’ll upload a picture when I get home.

16 Likes

That’s great info, thanks! I never thought to separate it into smaller batches, that would be perfect for my uses.

Is there a rough amount that would be used to pollinate like one branch? I imagine it doesn’t take much.

Those glove boxes are useful for other growing endeavours too!

7 Likes

Do you wrap the bud with something after basting it with pollen? And after pollinating the bud can the plant be in a tent with other flowering females? Thanks my friend. Good stuff!

6 Likes

You can wrap it loosely in a plastic bag for a few hours to make sure that the pollen has time to do its work.

Then, if you want to ensure that no pollen drifts from the buds you can spray them with water which will deactivate the pollen (this assumes that you’re doing this very early in flower, while the buds are still wispy little proto-buds, not dense golf balls :smile:). I don’t typically care enough to do this step personally, but if you want to be particularly careful then it’s a good step to include.

11 Likes

Many thanks @Howard.Crane. I’m gonna try this method coming up soon. Another question while I have you on the line. If I want to harvest buds off a plant and reveg to become a mom, should I leave big fan leaves intact or not necessary. Thanks in advance brother!

6 Likes