Announcement/general discussion thread about changes to seed runs

I agree and that has already been requested. We have asked for members to provide as much information as they can so we can evaluate it.

2 Likes

As one of the people screwed over by the fact that the system was overburdened and Sebring was trying and failing to do the work of several people, I donā€™t at all mind having things more under control, as long as theyā€™re actually working. Iā€™d rather have fewer strains come through the co-op and be comfortable that Iā€™ll actually get the seeds because Iā€™m dealing with people who have well-defined roles and time to communicate to the rest of us peons, rather than paying and being told that I didnā€™t manage to make it in time for some arbitrary deadline that he set but didnā€™t have time to communicate to anyone and therefore I get nothing.

Not that I think I actually have a vote anyway, but thereā€™s my vote, for what itā€™s worth. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Forgive me if this has already been answered but US members are to continue paying on diygreenlife.com?

Iā€™m assuming @G-paS will let us know when its time to pay?

5 Likes

Yes @OGTreeSlayer , there has been no changes to that process, USA members will continue to pay through DIYGreenlife page.

4 Likes

Thank you kindly Mr. Dawson :pray:

1 Like

I feel like some more specific examples would help.

under these rules: I assume Sour Bubble by BOG (RIP) would be approved
and so would be Goji OG because it is out of production

but what about legacy strains like Super Lemon Haze? Greenhouse Seeds is still selling that but euro banks are known for switching out parents over time. Would that be denied of approved?

What about sour diesel? People like Karma and JJ put in a LOT of work making their backcrossesā€¦ but JJ also didnt make sour diesel and he wants like 300 bucks a pack for bx4. Karma is constantly out of stock. Would that be denied, approved, or more up for discussion?

I ask for specific examples because I think most people understand that if I came up and said, hey I want to ā€œpreserveā€ Apples & Bananas, that would be a solid no. But thereā€™s a lot of grey areas and clarification on that could help. White Widow is being sold worldwide, but banks and breeders keep changing stuff on us. Where would the line be drawn, ballpark wise?

6 Likes

Sorry but this has been explained as best we can. This is why I stated this had to be done on a case by case basis. If a user wants to submit a strain THEY should be doing the research. It is on them to determine if a strain is rare or discontinued and than post that information with sources. Not just say ā€œI feel like doing a repro on White Widow because I happen to get some seedsā€. When they do post all the information they have the team will investigate using that information and anything else we can dig up.

5 Likes

Please donā€™t take my response as dismissive @leetdood as its not meant to be. As you say there are many Grey areas and it is too much for us to dig into each of these instances before they come up. If for example someone wanted to do White Widow repro they should do their best to make their case with as much info as they have such as who bred the seeds they want to run and why itā€™s to be considered rare or discontinued. The better case they make, the more likely it would be accepted. I hope that makes sense to everyone.

8 Likes

Yes to both @OGTreeSlayer

:green_heart: :seedling:

7 Likes

Thank you kindly :pray:

3 Likes

This means I should set up an account with diygreenlife?

1 Like

You can

You can or just wait until September.

4 Likes

I have some strains that will most likely become lost strains, if they are not preserved soon.

Blue Chocolate (Dabney Blue x Chocolate Rain) from the now defunct Fusion Seeds is one of them.
Think blueberry muffins with a hint of dark chocolate.

Iā€™ll go through my seed collection and see what else I can come up with for future preservation runs.

20 Likes

No bud, all this stuff has been discussed and we are fine with way they are. The Co-op is meant to help keep rare and discontinued strains in the hands of OGers. Itā€™s not meant to be a wholesale distribution network to send ridiculous amounts of seeds to people for anyone who feels like doing a seed run.

Again, no, this has been discussed. We donā€™t need more to work with. The Co-op is a cash neutral venture. It is not a seed selling operation. Seeds are free, the $2 is meant to cover packaging and supplies, which it does, there is no need to change it.

Again, I have to say no. The Co-ops are incredibly efficient as they are and just became much more so with the addition of the action group. Itā€™s hard for folks to judge since you all donā€™t see 90% of what is actually happening behind the scenes.

Thatā€™s a huge no. That would require OG to act like a bank and hold peopleā€™s money, that is not going to happen under any circumstances. It creates too many problems and while OG is allowing this to be hosted here it is run by the members.

Not true bud. There could be all sorts of ramifications such as tax issues. This is not a business but a non profit effort by members. As soon as you start having money involved the government wants there share. We make a point of not making money off this, only charging for supplies needed and to cover postage. All seeds are free.

43 Likes

Very well explained by Doug!.
People just got the wrong idea of what the co-op box was for.

17 Likes

Maybe this should be revisited annually given that shipping costs are increasing along with fuel costs?

3 Likes

It is Changed as needed already.

10 Likes

The action group is in constant contact and is also comprised of all the distributors. All issues are dealt with as they come up and as @G-paS stated, this has already been discussed and dealt with.

7 Likes

Thanks guys, Iā€™m just worried you guys have to put too much of your own money towards distribution while you put so much time and effort into making the seeds available. Itā€™s probably the most awesome project on the internet for saving genetics.

10 Likes

Amen

+10 characters

2 Likes