Announcement/general discussion thread about changes to seed runs

Clearing the rollers is not something the centrifuge vials widely used in past boxes can do. This is a new requirement, and I am not sure if it should be so, since we are talking a box and not letter mail and reduces options available to contributors. The recent Wolfpack distribution is an example. Clearly they need to be labeled well, of course.

"For instance, if a landrace is entered into the mix, have a couple knowledgeable LR folks provide insight "

How will you guys be interacting with the landrace team? Or will they need to create their own network?

4 Likes

I have a short indy hybrid that has been grown on the farm since the 70s, the seeds are from the 70s and it has an old school smoke and what not to it. I still have some stock. Some people have bred with it and grown it out, short stocky plant. Was told it had a leathery, to meat smell to it when cured. Super mold resistant and pest resistant. Perfect for the pnw. Would this be considered? I would gladly supply someone with them for a run. You wonā€™t find these anywhere. @DougDawson a couple members whom have grown it and bred with it, not sure about @Instg8ter . @zephyr made a nice cross with it. They would have more information and possibly some pictures of this plant. I might be able to dig some up.

16 Likes

Also amazingly viable stillā€¦

4 Likes

The only people that would need to worry about packaging are those using the Co-op distribution network who were not approved as Co-op run. That said the centrifuge tubes that have been used would be acceptable as they have been in the past if thatā€™s what the grower wanted to use. It would be nice to have stuff able to survive the postal rollers because there is some letter mail involved depending on what a user signed up for but we wonā€™t reject centrifuge tubes.

Who are you speaking of when you mention ā€œthe Landrace teamā€? We are happy to take knowledge from anyone who has it.

4 Likes

Hey @Pawsfodocaws , it would be very helpful if you could come up with some more info on the strain.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Ah, ok, I assumed you meant the Freakers, just was not sure if you meant some other group I had not heard of when you called them the Landrace team. I canā€™t see any landrace strains not being accepted as a co-op. They would likely all be considered rare or discontinued.

5 Likes

Sorry I cannot. Donā€™t talk to that family any more. Just know it was their staple / strain. Grown for years in the pnw. Very hardy, like I said I canā€™t get info on it. Besides maybe some information from @Instg8ter or @zephyr . They are the most recent to have grown them out.

3 Likes

OK man, letā€™s see what they say. Just a bit of a tough one due to the lack of info bud. The qualities you mentioned are interesting.

3 Likes

Definitely understand. I thought Iā€™d mention it, being a hardy pnw strain grown here for yearsā€¦might help some people out. They should have smoke reports and breeding info on it, atleast zephyr should. He crossed it,ā€¦ we will see what they sayā€¦ @zephyr @Instg8ter , when you have time could you please provide any info you got from growing this strain, much appreciated. Thank you guys!

3 Likes

@Herbie it isnā€™t a rule

:+1:t3:Centrifuge tubs are fine as everything I send is in tracked bubble mailers. Flips do work better for space in the envelops. Yes, If I need to send overseas to an individual, flips in a card are better. I did repackage some into flips last time to get those across the boarder.

If you do use the tubes please stick to the smaller 0.5ml ones.

@Herbie They have a net work for their folks. Any of their overflows automatically are included in the co-op network

:green_heart: :seedling:

8 Likes

Couple of quick questions here-

1. Some of us were sent seeds by Sebring and asked when they will be run by @G-paS. These seeds if we run them will be included as coops? The run will earn an overgrow badge and not have to be individually packed by those people?
  2. What is going on with the donated seeds listed in the thread that were to be coops afaik?
    Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups for Preserving
3 Likes

Wooowhooo I finally found the answers I was looking for! Lol lol lol shit took took me like 3 weeks ! Lol lol oh sht I was worried sick lol Iā€™m glad thatā€™s done :slight_smile: thank you for your time and patience @DougDawson @G-paS and everyone else behind the scenes making this all possible yā€™all are the sh#+ , long live overgrow edit I should get like a door prize or something:) lol

1 Like

Dang , smh , now what ok so now I got to register? I assume it is for shipping info?

Hey @coopactiongroup during a conversation here last night, it was brought up that f2ā€™s generally do not qualify for co-op sponsored reproduction.
In an earlier version of the cooperative outline though, Iā€™m fairly certain that reproduction of lines preserved by the Co-op is encouraged every couple of years or so:

Obviously every 2 years would place a huge strain on the system with an ever increasing load, but i feel that ongoing preservation was the original intention of the co-op. I think @Gpaw even utilized coop preservation seeds from 2020 to keep the OGā€™er going (correct me if Iā€™m wrong brother).
So hereā€™s the question: If the intention of the cooperative is to continue reproducing these genetics every few years, and if they come from reproductions where we can clearly document their provenance (most co-op runs do), and we obviously know reproduction was done via open pollination because it was done here in the forums, shouldnā€™t we allow OG preserved genetics to be approved for continued reproduction?

18 Likes

Yes, that was 2020 from Mongobongo and a pack from the previous generation from BareFrog (not sure when that run happened).
If we store the beans properly they should be good for 5 to 10 years.

Cheers
G

11 Likes

Itā€™s really a matter of provenance. Generally when you get F2ā€™s from outside OG you donā€™t have an idea of how they were F2ā€™ed. You donā€™t know where they got the F1ā€™s that they F2ā€™ed. You donā€™t know if they open pollinated or selected a male cutting out all the others or selected a female cutting out all the others. You donā€™t know if they had hermie issues that never were spoken of. Using F2ā€™s from an OG run means the F1ā€™s were vetted and we all saw the grow. That is what makes the difference in those scenarioā€™s.

14 Likes

Cool cool, then it would follow that f2ā€™s that were previously vetted and distributed via the co-op could be submitted to the action group for a future reproduction; am I interpreting correctly?

9 Likes

Yes, reproductionā€™s that were done here on OG through the Co-op would generally be accepted. Itā€™s not really about seeds being F2ā€™s thatā€™s the issue but more the inability to guarantee what F2ā€™s really are when coming from outside sources. The last thing we want OG to be known for is spreading the wrong genetics around.

15 Likes

Agreed and understood. I take no issue with any of the standards set forth, just trying to be clear on the finer points

4 Likes