Any hunters on the forum?

Had this happen once in a pit in Eastern PA on the atlantic flyway. Was unreal. The guy I was with tried to discourage it from happening bc of the amount of birds needing to be cleaned if youd let them land and then you shoot. They tornadoed over us and we popped up and shot only a few rather than a whole pile. The “snow geese taste like shit” argument is bullshit. I’ll take them along w canadas and specks anyday even tho the specks are the clear winner in terms of table fare.

4 Likes

I’ve missed hunting season for the last 5 years because of being out of state and no guns with me other than my side arm. Would have loved to have been able to kill a deer while I was in indiana last year.

4 Likes

My belgian spotted it earlier. So I sat down for 20 mins smoked a fatty and low and behold she comes out again. Not 20 yards away

4 Likes

That it is!! Also slamming so many is what made me start doing the Tundra BBQ, coming from the field with 50-75 geese daily… But cleaning that many is quite the pain… The need to make a goose breaster machine lol

8 Likes

Two words: goose pastrami

1 Like

The last 2 I ate kind of turned me off… not sure if it was cause they were late season, or shake and bake was a bad choice, or that I over cooked em… but damn they were gnarly lol gamey as hell

1 Like

never ate one, didn’t see them very often.
First time I saw a blue I thought it was too far to shoot didn’t realize they were the size of a mallard.

1 Like

Second time in the last month and ever that I’ve heard that… Now I’m gonna have to do it

Haha ohh this one gets made into dog dood. Ill collect 5 or 6 and my wife will make a dog food out of organs and meat. Spruce grouse I cannot eat. These ruffies I can eat soaked in milk dusted in bread crumbs and egg wash and fried

3 Likes

I of bagged half a dozen mallards as well. Never bothered with migratory bird license. I sont like getting wet.

2 Likes

Check out Hank Shaw’s recipe on his website and you won’t go wrong. The corned venison recipe is also :moneybag: :moneybag:

4 Likes

Now this thread is a prime example why this is the only weed forum I will visit anymore.

Imagine the bleeding-heart reaction at a place like ROI, for example. I commend anyone who takes direct responsibility for the meat they eat. I hope this thread thrives, and I’ll try to do my part to help.

Here is my daughter with her first buck of the season (and her last season as a youth hunter). For 8 years she has done her part to help fill the freezer and she plans to continue.

BTW, if she didn’t hunt - like if she moved away to the city for uni or something and couldn’t hunt - she’d be a vegetarian. She told me this herself the other night at dinner. She loves eating meat that WE take from the wilderness, but the thought of eating meat from a package really is revolting to her.

We still buy chicken and pork for some variety but she doesn’t like it.

Hoping to get out for some grouse and hares soon, and adult seasons for deer are right around the corner. I have no excuse. I can hunt 20 minutes from home (and I can go through drive-thrus with my rifles in the front of the truck without the SWAT team being called*). Time to get out there.

*Yes. There are still some normal, laid-back places to live in Canada.

17 Likes

Dude. Once you get into Charcuterie, a whole new world of game meat opens up.

I can take snowshoe hare legs (which are normally one of the toughest and often most “gamey” wild meats) and turn them into miniature, tender “hams” that taste like… well… ham!

Just lean towards the conservative recipes when it comes to pink salts. Too much cured meat is not a “healthy” choice.

I know guys who shoot a bear and get the whole thing made into dry-cured pepperoni (the short-cut method). I guess they want to die of colon cancer?

4 Likes

I use to love to hammer snows when they came through Kansas for the conservation season. unplugged guns and e callers. those clouds of birds that would come try to set down were unbelievable. good times

4 Likes

Here’s a video I made a number of years ago about how I process hares after a successful day “snowshoeing with a rifle” in the middle of winter.

8 Likes

I enjoy hunting a lot. I live on a couple drainages and get lots of ducks. Never really got into hunting them though. I love the upper peninsula in Michigan big woods hunting. Northwest Ontario is one of my favs also. Get to go to Iowa hunting second year in a row this year…Covid really scared away the out of state hunters :grinning:. We alway cooked the geese breasts in turkey Bags. Good stuff reminded me of roast beef.

5 Likes

Hank Shaw is the fuckin’ master. Game meat Jesus.

His Sardinian Hare Stew is orgasmically good. Honestly, one of the best recipes ever. Go shoot a rabbit or hare just so you can try that recipe. You won’t regret it.

7 Likes

Anyone watch meat eater?

5 Likes

Of course! I’ve seen them all. Even the pre-Netflix ones. The only hunting show I can watch.

4 Likes

No, what’s that all about? It sounds great!

Edit: obviously some of it is about eating meat, but… :rofl:

2 Likes