Any info/experience on Sciatica & CBD?

High.

A friend’s mom has been suffering from sciatic pain and he has hasked me for help & wants to know if CBD can help. If so, brands, dosages, etc. are all helpful.

An internet search suggested 1g of CBD isolate oil ingested(2x500mg) daily would help as well as swimming. That would be great news as he is a prof. swim coach. :slight_smile:

(I have read the cortisone injection thread, fyi)

:v: and thanks

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

"It was found that both groups experienced a significant reduction in pain. The main difference was the length of time for the CBD to take effect. The first group, who had taken 100mg over three days felt pain relief within 96 hours, while the second group who had taken 200mg over two days experienced pain relief within 48 hours.

Therefore it was concluded that group two – who had consumed more CBD – experienced quicker results than those who had used a lower dosage. Also interesting to note is that those in the first group reported that, while they had a significant reduction in pain, they would still experience short spells of discomfort. The second group, on the other hand, experienced a consistent reduction in pain."

1 Like

It also has a comparative list of different CBD brands… ideally you’d want a full-spectrum cbd oil, since it helps with the entourage effect (minus the THC of course).

1 Like

I wish they’d included a link or at least cited the study name & authors… makes it harder to pass off to my bud.

That’s why I’m here looking for (ideally) personal accounts; for example, I found a post by somone on a forum called CBDQueen…I have to wonder if it’s legit. :thinking:

Thanks, though. I’m afraid THC is likely a necessity in some way but that’s from my own experience.

It seems like people have to become a LOT less affected by the “high”, build up some tolerance to it, before they can get a real medical effect, IMO. The old folks I’ve tried to help end up higher than they want to be. :blush: Whereas I can’t really get high-school hiiiiigh anymore.

2 Likes

and here is the cbdexperia cited study:
https://www.cbdexperia.com/can-cbd-relieve-sciatic-pain/

2 Likes

THC is not exactly a “necessity” but it does enhance and speed up the effects of CBD through the entourage effect. Especially with Sativas, which are known to help with nerve pain, as opposed to Indicas that are more for muscle relaxation… although the muscle relaxation may also decrease pressure from the nerve. As for strains with THC, something like Sunshine Daydream, which is Indica/Sativa, but has effects of both, would be extremely beneficial for sciatica pain since it relieves both nerve pain as well as relaxes muscles. That being said, you could go pure CBD, and mix in terpenes for the effects you want: humulene, Beta Caryophyllene, limonene, linalool, myrcene, pinene mostly

2 Likes

I was reading through this “study” and was a bit confused. To me it seems like they are just trying to sell CBD oil. First off, who is “Our Team”? Then they give dosage info as “one pipette” but say nothing about the capacity of the pipette or the concentration. They do say 28mg of 200mg bottle. being that bottles are usually 30ml (1oz) that would mean the dose would be over 11ml. that is an AWFUL lot to take at once and it sure wouldn’t last very long. I understand this is supposed to be a “sort term” treatment with smaller maintenance dosages, but it would still cost a fortune.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am a strong believer in CBD, especially for Neuropathic problems, having 3 bulging and herniated discs from L3 to S2. This just doesn’t have any foundation to it. Now, I haven’t found an exact combination, but for me, I have found very little relief from straight CBD, for that any way (has done sorta well for the arthritis, though), but have found some relief with a balanced level of THC:CBD, though far from a permanent treatment. Have tried a lower balanced ratio (6:6) and it worked okay, so I am in the process of growing a higher, balanced strain (9:9) and a strain that is about 2:1in favor of CBD (12:6, I believe it is stated). I am hoping that the 2:1 strain works well so I can get the higher CBD for the Arthritis.

1 Like

10ml bottle, 2% concentration…200mg Bottle – 1 Pipette holds on average 18mg of CBD, Approximately 15 pipettes per bottle. Maximum daily dose is 200mg per day, Recommended dose is up to 4 pipettes a day. As noted, it was an internal research study, and they also made disclaimers that they cannot legally make medical claims. But it does give you an idea… 28mg would be almost 2 pipettes of the 10ml bottle, or approx 1.2ml

if you went with the higher mg 10ml bottles, then each pipette holds more… 52mg per pipette in the 800mg bottle, so you’d obviously take less pipettes.

No, I understand, but it took going to the actual selling part of the site to find that out. The problem is, they make claims that have no backing, and then add a line within other text that this is not a scientific study. Translation, to most people who read it, fake unsubstantiated claims. Then, instead of saying, “hey, I should look into CBD and Cannabis to help me treat my ailment, or as an alternative to shoving opiates down my throat” they see it as any other scam and turn the page. We all need to be trying to convince everyone to look at this as a valid alternative, and these things don’t help.

While they do mention an NIH study at the bottom, the study uses dosages that are no where near the high level of their “teams” research, which again, if you read it makes them look like scam artists trying to sell massive amounts of THEIR products.

1 Like

at the 200mg group, it’s 15 bottles, $427, or $383 if you use the 800mg bottles… yes a lot of money, assuming you use their products, you can make your own or probably get elsewhere for less. I would definitely not go so far as to call it scam, the ad for testing was: "In short no, We are not medical Scientists or doctors. Another way of looking at it is: we offer a free trial of our products in exchange of your opinion on how effective it was for your condition along with your permission to use the data to aid the legal side of CBD. The aim is to ultimately reduce it price and availability and to have CBD recognised for its medical benefits legally, also to obtain precise dosage information to aid in advising CBD users on how to correctly use the product for its effectiveness. " They were straight up and honest about it. Moreso because it is extremely difficult to do CBD testing on humans since Cannabis testing on humans is pretty much banned due to it’s scheduling. I’m not saying they’re 100% correct or peer-reviewed, just that they were honest about it not being a medical claim and that they did their due diligence, something scammers generally wouldn’t do. Just my 2 cents… they chose to at least try something to get a baseline rather than guesstimate.

1 Like

I didn’t say it was a scam, but that the average person would probably come to that conclusion.

Actually there were about a dozen studies that were done decades ago, in the US. Unfortunately they were put to an end, in the 90’s. There are some that are being done through private donations, but you are correct there are numerous problems arising as universities, who do the majority of research are hesitant to do any because of fear of losing federal grants, in retaliation. The other problem is the only other groups that can do research are pharmaceutical companies that would have no interest in proving effectiveness of cannabis or CBD as a treatment, but as a method of “creating” a synthetic alternative that they can charge thousands of dollars for. There has got to be another option.

2 Likes

Cannabis generally helps with my sciatica. Never bothered to test my stuff.

Should get a tub of the pure stuff and see if it helps.

Great thread.

Thanks.

2 Likes

just make sure you mix thc in with the cbd, even if its 10:1 or 20:1 etc.

2 Likes

Thanks all, especially @Niburan for all the info. :lifter:
@Fresherbs – that’s what I’ve been suspecting, that THC is necessary. :slight_smile:
@99PerCent if I may ask, what have you found most helpful (or even least helpful, e.g. what to avoid). :wink:

I appreciate it. :hugging:

:evergreen_tree: old ATV back injury owwww

2 Likes

Concentrates in the form of pressed buds served up on an E-nail.

Gets right to the point.

2 Likes

Thanks. :slight_smile: I’ll have a hell of a time setting THAT up with a grandma who’s still suspicious & doesn’t want to “get high”. But it’s good to know.

On a bit of a tangent, my 2:1 CBD plant came out unsmokeable…just too harsh, so I bubblehashed it & mixed it with some other normal trim…came out better. I had an opioid-like moment after 1 toke…all pain zapped but it only lasted a minute or so. :confused: Can’t recommend the “Remedy/ Z7” strain for smoke.

1 Like

I find that light yoga, stretching, & sleep with a pillow between your knees will help depending on the severity. Oh yeah a large dab. Cbd alone wont do the trick 4 me. I have 2 have my thc as well. Strain leaning to the indica side. But thats just me.

1 Like