CBD or THC - which is better for pain?

I have always read that CBD is more effective for pain treatment than THC.

However, I just ran across a couple of what sound like scientific studies that both say THC is far more effective on pain than CBD.

In this one, a University study asked a bunch of people to track THC or CBD use and note their pain levels. THC won by a huge margin over CBD.

In this one, some scientists did a similar comparison, but they actually tortured their subjects to see how they responded in real time. Again, THC won easily.

Im curious what you folks think about this. Before reading these reports, I was planning a hi CBD strain for my next grow, but now Im having second thoughts.

9 Likes

I have never observed any effect from cbd other than disappointment.

For pain best weed product imo is 100% indica made into full melt hash.

Northern Lights or something like that imo

13 Likes

When I was first forming my pothead synapses forty years ago there were two kinds of pot:
The kind that got you high and the kind that didnā€™t. The kind that didnā€™t often smelled oddly like oregano.
I have joked for a few years that they seem to have found a way to charge more for ā€œthe kind that didnā€™t.ā€
That said, courtesy of @Sebring, my first grow next year will be a high cbd auto. I want some of that in my toolkit.

5 Likes

Very interesting studiesā€¦ Thanks for sharingā€¦

Yes it seems like both THC and CBD have positive effect and can block pain. The difference is that THC can increase anxiety. Among the athletes CBD is preferred because it is affecting recovery and sleep quality.

Source: https://www.theenergyblueprint.com/heart-rate-variability-alex-viada/

And whatā€™s interesting is when you talk about pain, a lot of people in pain management talk about two kinds of pain. The experience of pain, kind of the emotional like I want to avoid pain side of things. And then the actual visceral, the no susceptive side of pain. Certain painkillers block one, very few blocks both. Only opioids block posts.

Thatā€™s one of the reasons why theyā€™re so tremendously effective. And I think itā€™s called a lateral and medial pain. I think thatā€™s the term. And whatā€™s interesting about CBD and THC is, they also block both. And so, for chronic pain patients whose lifestyles are not just inhibited by the actual physical discomfort but are also inhibited by the psychological effects of pain and pain anticipation. Phantom limb pain is one major area. Itā€™s been investigated where the perception that there is a limb there or the perception that there is discomfort in the residual limb is very limiting to lifestyle.

ā€¦

So, anxiety is a challenging one because anxiety is one area where I donā€™t think weā€™re quite ready to use CBD of a large scale for anxiety because the THC constituent of it is very, very critical to dial in. You get this kind of I would say U shape with regards to your anxiety and the is you take very little and it has no effect and again too much and it actually seems to increase.

12 Likes

I have been in and out of pain for years, for about 22 out of my 38ā€¦ Bike crashes, long hours at work and stress have led me to resort to weed when in pain or sleep problems.

THC rich products have given me a happy buzz probably sativa dominant. Indica dominant have also helped me but put me in a more numb state, I sleep well but the next day I feel hung over and sometimes depressed. The problem for me is that I donā€™t know what is in the stuff I get, as I donā€™t grow, and where exactly it came from.
All I know is that there is more to CBD and THC , other compounds are responsible too. I guess those two labels are a way to distinguish if itā€™s a ā€œno no weedā€ or a ā€œoh yes itā€™s ok itā€™s not marijuana itā€™s just medicinalā€. All I know is that when I ingest my canna coconut oil (to this date the strongest I have ever made and effective/efficient as I relay only need half a coffe spoon) I get this buzzing feeling all over my body and itā€™s fiiin amazing. I sleep like a baby and it helps with pain :grin: but if I take too much Iā€™ll feel like Iā€™m brain dead the next dayā€¦and down in the dumps.

9 Likes

Best to have a 1:1 at least

6 Likes

Personally without THC CBD doesnā€™t really help my pain much

9 Likes

From experience w body rubs, thc is much better for aches and pain

4 Likes

Yeah youā€™re right, and straight up cbd doesnā€™t do nothing for me.

6 Likes

@LemonadeJoe is exactly right that both are helpful.
Another fun fact is that CBD\THC both work to dull pain sensations by acting on different pathways when compared to over the counter pain pills like aspirin\ibuprofen\acetaminophen.

My sciatica is causing bad nerve pain today, so I rubbed comfort cream on it (localized CBD), ate a CBD brownie (body wide CBD), microdosed some THC from a vape pen (to synergize the CBD & treat anxiety) and popped an ibuprofen. Each one dulled the pain, and Iā€™m out working with only minor pain!

18 Likes

Its a 2 part effect, the CBD works on the inflammation, and with regular use as an edible, works to bring it under control, and later on when it is under control, helps with the pain. The only things I get from smoking CBD, is relaxation and zero anxiety and good sleep.

When smoking THC I get almost instant pain reduction to a point on light pain, from the THC giving me something to distract me, when taken as an edible, I get very good pain reduction, when taking both together as an edible I get all the benefits of both with a much higher pain level reduction.

10 Likes

The reason they say CBD is better for pain is because it only binds to the CB2 receptors that are located throughout the body. THC binds to both the CB2 receptors and the CBD1 receptors which trigger the psychoactive effect.

I agree with what others have said though, a combination of both seems to work best for me.

14 Likes

Oh I hate sciatica had it years ago been lucky it hasnā€™t flared up in recent years! Do you stretches for it?

5 Likes

I deal with it currently also and I do a lot of stretching all day nearly every day or my legs start to move strange when I walk. Iā€™ve learned popping my sacrum helps more than anything and I walk straight again.

5 Likes

How do you pop your sacrum? I get weird lower back and hip issues where it locks up sometimes and Iā€™m bent sideways for a few days, Iā€™d love to pop it like itā€™s hot lol

3 Likes

When I do my back stretching while bending back I usually put pressure with my fist/knuckles on both sides and the spot thatā€™s more tense I leave the hand there and bend back and into that spot twisting. Iā€™m usually using my thumb at that point to pinpoint a spot to help relax my middle back and tense up my upper back while rotating my hip/lower back area muscle groups only. Iā€™ve been doing this since I was 10. I only now recognize that it wasnā€™t growing pains, but the same stuff I deal with now. When I went with my mother to a chiropractor to get an assessment of my back she saw how I pop my neck and was both horrified and impressed as I do what a chiropractor does to you on my own neck and that took years of practice to completely relax my neck muscles and still use my arms to rotate as needed. Usually itā€™s a deep breath and a quick jerk to minimize risk of injury. Above all else listen to your pain response when learning to do it yourself :pray::100: if itā€™s not feeling like the first pop pain with a separating joint feeling itā€™s not going to pop and keeping it up will just hurt. When all else fails try bengay maximum strength first. Itā€™s cheap and works better than the rest of the shit Iā€™m mad I spent so much money on trying, but at least I can say as well as lidocaine works even with icy hot something is different about the mix in bengayā€‹:grin: it helps my hands with my constantly throbbing knuckles from my arthritis I inherited from my momā€™s side. The pinky is normal, but does impair my ability to use my hands properly with precision when working on electronics and such that need very fine motor control and no randomly swinging pinky fingers.

When I started popping my back I originally used a hard chair I could get my lower back on and bend back over on a spot my spine didnā€™t come in contact with as I moved. If I felt bone contact the chair I reajusted until solved.

3 Likes

Whoa that pinky is out there. I thought my back and hands are jacked but I guess my issues are relatively minor. Iā€™ve been doing yoga lately and it really helps a ton, Iā€™ll have to try your home chiropractic techniques too!

Do you like it when a friend ā€˜cracksā€™ your back by picking you up from behind? People always want to do that to me when my backs bent but it just hurts for me and will rarely crack. Iā€™m pretty tensed up most of the time.

5 Likes

Both, in a 1:1 ratio.

3 Likes

Yes, but it really needs trust to work. Not just trust in them, but trust that they wonā€™t hurt you which is a whole other trust you may need to reason with yourself on. You need to just take a deep breath and during the exhale try to just jelly your back and brace for the pain while they wiggle you around. Donā€™t tense up anything and let your bones move naturally. A small pain may happen, but focus on your jaw, scalp, hands, wrists, and even throat to distract yourself. Itā€™s hit or miss, but when it work it works so well itā€™s worth at least giving it a shot if you can get your back relaxed and zone out to let someone help out. Deep tissue massage helps. If pinpoint pressure for some reason is ticklish an open hand gently circling around the area helps to relax the muscles seizing up. Shoulders tensing up definitely stop the back trick from working correctly when someone does that Iā€™ve found.

4 Likes

Be very careful with back stretches, as it depends on your specific condition. Extension exercises are appropriate for some and flextion exercises are better for others. I highly recommend ā€œTreat Your Own Backā€ by McKenzie. Itā€™ll help you figure out what is best for you.

6 Likes