Any recommendations on microscopes? 🔬

Any recommendations on microscopes ? There’s a few that Elaine Ingham recommends on her links that can can be had for about 300-400$ range that’s something I’v always wanted to have since I made the change to organics and improved soil health!

5 Likes
1 Like

depends on how big u need! i just got a 60x-100x handheld loupe off amazon for 5$ which can also be attached to cell phone (over lens) for digital capture

4 Likes

Follow up on discussion from: Bud of the month

Yeah what setup are you running for pics, what lense are you using?

1 Like

Haha, Thanks. Honestly all I use is either a clip on macro lens for my cell phone that cost like 25 bucks or for these current pics this little webcam usb microscope thing. Can be a pain in the ass to use but it’s cheap enough for me to not mind too much. Wish the pics were a bit more quality than 2MP though.

6 Likes
3 Likes

Salutations TinyTuttleKeeping,

There were some hints of answer posted in there:

[ Where have all the trichomes gone? ]
Where have all the trichomes gone?

That’s significantly more than i paid for mine so you should be able to get 5 Mpix + WiFi/BlueTooth connectivity features easily. Aim for 100 ~ 400 magnification just to make sure to avoid the risk of marginal chromatic aberration in a desired range of applications, for example…

There are instances where the pleasure doubles as a necessity, trying to identify The Borg would be one of those…

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

1 Like

When this post went out originally I was inquiring in on the laboratory types that have 1000x to 2000x power , ones used for looking at microbiology, since originall post I set my self up with in Omax and have been very happy with it ! I posted a couple pics of the microscopic critters in my soil hope to post more in the near future!

5 Likes

How about if we bring this topic back? I am unhappy with my USB microscope - Im on my third one - and am looking for a new one that actually works.

@Howard.Crane has posted some great pics with his, so maybe when he is feeling better he can give us a link.

@Meesh also said he just got a new one, so if he cold post a link and some pics that would be great.

The one I have is no longer available on Amazon, so no link. The earlier one I had that worked well for one week then quit is still available, but they sent me three replacements and none of them would work with my windows 10 laptop that is two years old. Plus finding drivers was a nightmare and the app sucked.

So I DONT recommend this one:

I also dont recommend my current one - which is no longer available… The depth of field is extremely narrow and the focus is not good. There are now others that look the same, so be cautious.

6 Likes

I got this one. About 36 bucks with a amazon coupon and free shipping. So far seems easy to use on my phone. Haven’t set up the computer part yet as I just got it. I tried pics off the stand but I’m shaky when I try to do stuff like that. Seems to zoom easily and focud nicely

Just a fyi @anon32470837 I’m a “She”
7 Likes

Ive been looking at that one and some of the others that look to be the same one. Even though its a bit more expensive, I like the wifi wireless idea a lot. Long USB cables are a nuisance.

Post some bud shots or close up plant shots when you can so we can see how it does.

4 Likes

A little older thread but I figured it was worth bringing back… Yesterday I just got a new digital microscope off Amazon and its awesome…I can do both work with my Cel phone wirelessly or tether up to a computer… It works amazing and is a million times better then the Carson unit I bought…so much easier to focus with a much larger field of view.

2 Likes

Cool! Im still looking for a decent one to try. I dont like the one I have.

Post up some bud shots or any close up plant pics you have.

Hey @Meesh - how do you like the one you have? Any bud/trich shots you can post??

EDIT: It looks like your’s and @Meesh’s are two of the best rated ones on Amazon at tthe moment. It would be cool if you both posted some pics so we can compare :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got this one before I had seen your post. Paid $18 this was the result.
image image image
Taking the picture causes motion blur, very hard to work the focus, going to add a 10x magnifying lens at the focal point, that Lens will be adjustable to its focal point. Working on today. The second lens should expand the field of view… we shall see.

1 Like

Which one did you get?

1 Like

This one is called STPCTOU

1 Like

I’ll play with it again tmw and try out some pics. We’ll see how it does. I haven’t needed it yet, so I haven’t messed with it much

4 Likes

Oh my gosh - I am so sorry! I didnt know that back then AND I missed this when you posted it! :blush:

As my wife would say - I can be really dense sometimes. Only she says it a lot more colorfully :smiley:

4 Likes

I saw this one on discount at Amazon for $29, and decided to give it a try. Looking at the pics and specs, I think many of these are copies/clones with minor cosmetic changes.

It is due in next week. I’ll post pics and a quick review when it gets here.

Ha! I see now its no longer available. I hope that doesnt mean it a crap item that get returned too many times!! Good thing Im a Prime member and can return easy. :smiley:

1 Like

Update: the button to snap the photo is not responding, I just got it yesterday. So far… wasted money. image image
This a smashed under glass piece of bud, that’s the sticky icky. :rofl:

2 Likes