Anyone Breeding for Terpenes?

I agree teste and smell are not a main factor. Im just trying to seperate those traits from the type of high as well as the potency of high for this discussion.
What are the terp profiles for the two strains? how different are they? I am very curious?

Look we know and agree that the resins on an indica plant need to mature and to turn from uplifting to sedative. @LonelyOC just mentioned how all the resins can be disturbed from improper conditions during this finall process
So we are all agreeing that we ā€œthinkā€ the process of resins maturing drying and curing can seriously affect the type of high you feel (Couch lock vrs energetic).
All I am saying is that it is in my opinion that the differnt terps that are there while the resin finishes help to asist in the effects resulting differently. Perhaps the process sort of arranges the cannabinoids differently. Im not saying that those arent part of it. Iā€™m saying the terps have a direct effect on the type of highā€¦

if the first two terps are the same in the two phenos and it is all the rest that are different. My theory would state that this would give the same kind of high.

If a relaxing terp is replaced with a differnt relaxing terp in the two phenos; this would give super close but subtly different kind of high in my theory.very close

Now you start to be on the correct track. As I said before, the major factor of the high is due to the Cannabinoids. But a small portion is other compounds, not just terps.

The cultivar i linked you have different terp profiles but they smoke the same. If the terp profile was the main drive behind the high, it would smoke very different. The test show that itā€™s thc + cbg that is the major Cannabinoids. So that is why you experience the same high from two different plants with the same Cannabinoid profile, although they have different terp profiles.

As I said, I wonā€™t debate you that terps are useless for the high. But itā€™s not the main factor. Itā€™s not the difference between sativa vs indica and itā€™s not why some indicas, like Chem is very sativa like experience.

Pz :v:t2:

4 Likes

I think sativa and indica affect the growing traits more than anything. I think a good majority of sativa are uplifting (and taste like lemon because of lemonene) but there are sativa such as the maui wowie that are relaxing or mellow. but what I find interesting is that the sativas that are relaxing usually have a terp profile that is similar to what most indicas that give the same effect and most of the ones that are energetic have terps I associate as being energetic . very consitantly too.

Maui wowie is not a pure sativa my dudeā€¦ Itā€™s a afghanā€¦

2 Likes

Where does it say that it is crossed with afgani? I didnt say it is pure sativa, but its other parent is hawaian which has terpinoline.

1 Like

The storyline for Maui Wowie that Iā€™ve read suggests that it became legendary after a shipment of Mexican x Afghani was shipped there by BOEL and the subsequent seeds grown out.

The Hawaiian part is terroir. Much love

2 Likes

was it an afgan female or an afgan male? Why did the terpinolene come out? how long did they go and how did they do the cross? Was it a rare pheno or is that what most of them came out like? if we concentrated on these questions and compared all the crosses we might start finding patterns

Iā€™ve smoke ton of afghan with terpinolene which have knocked my ass to sleepā€¦ Itā€™s JUST a terp. Itā€™s not the actual cannabinoid profileā€¦ Which Iā€™m trying to explain to you is the main factor of the high.

5 Likes

very interesting. was it a top tier terp? wish you had good examples I could confirm. but I take your word. there are land race afgan that are energizing as well right?

I dont recall ever seeing any afgan plants with terpinolene in the profile but i havenā€™t seen them all.

Yes, there are. Not a lot of them and they are probably Indian reacclimated cultivars. But itā€™s out of scope. The afghan used in Hawaii was pure short Hashplants which helped to reduce the flowering times of the pure sativas. Afghan sativas have a long flowering time, so they are not something you would use to lower a 16-18 weeker to 10ā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you @LonelyOC for explaining this. There are many factors at play. Terpenes are probably the least concerning aspect.

CBC for instance is another that is used as a ā€œsativaā€ like high. THCV is also used for this but it is rare. It is combined with THC in products like Wyld gummies in CA.

So of course many factors are variable for the cannabinoid creation process and that is highly debatable. Iā€™m referring to light intensity/schedule and nutes/medium etc. Then even more so would be time of harvest and post harvest processing with proper drying and curing.

There are cannabinoids that are just being discovered which are multitudes more potent than just THC/THCA.

1 Like

Iā€™ve guessed a few profiles out of many chucks. And absolutely surprised a few times.

1 Like

This :arrow_up:

What Dragon is talking about is nothing more than selective breeding. His brain associates certain terps with what he deems to be good, pleasant or preferable smoke. Breeders have been doing this for decades. Itā€™s more prevalent today with all the designer strains, but at the end of the day, itā€™s personal preference or what is driven by the market. If youā€™re talking about breeding for terpenes exclusively for yourself, I say good luck, but your variation is still going to be all over the place.

I am one of the biggest fans of Simonā€™s AK-47, and Iā€™m here to tell you that Iā€™ve grown many of them side by side with almost the exact same terp profile, and the effects were on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Iā€™m not trying to discourage you, but I think with all the designer strains out there now, I donā€™t see a huge difference in the terp profiles, so I believe youā€™re more likely to enjoy the dispensary stuff. The reason I believe youā€™re seeing and enjoying the same terps is because the same strains are being used for all of the modern crosses.

6 Likes

Terpenes may only contribute only approximately half of a plantā€™s aromatic profile. The remainder is composed of various compounds such as thiols, alcohol-esters, among others.

Then terpene testing; the testing is limited to roughly 30 terpenes. This limitation is due to the availability of standardized tests exclusively for these terpenes, there are possibly other terpenes not even being tested for.

Another factor is that the concentration of different terpenes can result in varied levels of potency in terms of aroma or taste, depending on the terpene being evaluated

5 Likes

Ive been noticing 39 and 35.

you would :joy_cat:

:evergreen_tree: :alembic: :test_tube: :smoking: :dizzy_face:

2 Likes