Anyone Breeding for Terpenes?

25 posts were split to a new topic: Breeding for terpenes the trolling part

Cool topic! Plants synthesise monoterpenes via the localised plastid MEP pathway, and sesquiterpenes via the cytosolic MVA pathway. Understanding these biochemical processes is the secret imho.

1 Like

@LemonadeJoe sorry, i didnt understand, why wasnt this thread along with the others from this user closed? the user himself has already said he is a sock… but the troll discussion got binned?

Screen Shot 2023-09-08 at 4.55.29 AM

2 Likes

Wtf Is going on?I am confused

I think the subject is interesting, so I’ve just moved out the off-topic “trolling” part.

I don’t see the need to bin the whole topic, and seeing some lengthy posts I think that would be a lot of time wasted.

There is still a chance to discuss it…
Btw, there is already a similar topic: Is there a terpene or profile of terpenes that you’re always on the hunt for?

13 Likes

I have seen benzene listed, in every case it was listed; that I saw, a hot wire or metal was involved with the combustion chamber.

1 Like

Nonterpenoid Volatile Compounds Drive the Aroma Differences of Exotic Cannabis

Cannabis sativa L. produces a wide variety of volatile secondary metabolites that contribute to its unique aroma. The major volatile constituents include monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, and their oxygenated derivates. In particular, the compounds ß-myrcene, D-(+)-limonene, ß-caryophyllene, and terpinolene are often found in greatest amounts, which has led to their use in chemotaxonomic classification schemes and legal Cannabis sativa L. product labeling. While these compounds contribute to the characteristic aroma of Cannabis sativa L. and may help differentiate varieties on a broad level, their importance in producing specific aromas is not well understood. Here, we show that across Cannabis sativa L. varieties with divergent aromas, terpene expression remains remarkably similar, indicating their benign contribution to these unique, specific scents. Instead, we found that many minor, nonterpenoid compounds correlate strongly with nonprototypical sweet or savory aromas produced by Cannabis sativa L. Coupling sensory studies to our chemical analysis, we derive correlations between groups of compounds, or in some cases, individual compounds, that produce many of these diverse scents. In particular, we identified a new class of volatile sulfur compounds (VSCs) containing the 3-mercaptohexyl functional group responsible for the distinct citrus aromas in certain varieties and skatole (3-methylindole) as the key source of the chemical aroma in others. Our results provide not only a rich understanding of the chemistry of Cannabis sativa L. but also highlight how the importance of terpenes in the context of the aroma of Cannabis sativa L. has been overemphasized.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/epdf/10.1021/acsomega.3c04496

10 Likes

Paging @lefthandseeds @the_bot @Gpaw I think you guys were onto this already :wink:

4 Likes

OK so i have an unusual theory as it pertains to “perceived” terpenes and their effects on the overall psychoactive experience

OK so hear me out. … I recently saw this water bottle called AIR-UP (check it out). Basically, they use a “scent pod” so that while you’re supping plain water, you’re smelling the pod so your brain “perceives” a flavor. I’m interested in trying it but dunno about paying $30 for a water bottle, lol :rofl::man_shrugging:t2:

Where I’m going with this: WHAT IF the way we perceive a high is affected or altered by what we “think” we’re smelling as we inhale the smoke/vapor?

Do any of us here have NO SENSE of smell that might want to be a “guinea pig” for a blind test? :wink::rofl::rofl: lol

6 Likes

Hawaiian bud grown in Hawaii

4 Likes

I’ve been looking at ‘scent charts’ for a while now.
None that I’ve seen seemed really applicable, more like something for wine etc. adapted for cannabis.
This article is quite a refreshing change and should help develop the bases for a more appropriate ‘scent map’.

Thanks for tagging me on that @HolyAngel
I hope you have a full and speedy recovery… :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Frankincense resin is psychoactive.

3 Likes

Almost :frowning:

Gotta hold beach up to my nose to notice it.

I’ll stick a bud damn near inside to evaluate :joy:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Yes, I’m trying to breed terpenes into plants that have it all. Look, smell, taste, easy to trim, and high THC. I’m also trying to just see what I find. It’s a lot of fun.

2 Likes

Affects are from Placebo. Cannabis has more than terpenes that may affect your perception.