Aspirin and Plants

I’ve come across a large number of articles talking about the benefits of aspirin to plants. I first saw it regarding tomato plants, now several articles later are sporting benefits to all plants as the saliclic acid supposedly helps them fight off fungus, pests and diseases. Basically strengthening their immune systems. Some articles said a soil drench about 2 aspirin per 2 gallons of water and now I saw that an aspirin water foliar is also effective spaced 3 weeks apart. Anyone ever tried it on anything? Thinking it couldn’t hurt to try on my cannabis plants that are vegging… Thoughts?

14 Likes

I know it’s a rooting hormone. That’s all I can contribute that I know. Apparently my mother’s secret to those massive roots in the plop in a cup in the windowsill method.

3 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t read rooting hormone, but I did see 100% germ rate of seeds soaked in it before planting.

4 Likes

Yup. Like Willow and cottonwood the salicic acid in all of them helps that.

I still learn. It just takes me more time to get something down due to my learning disability. Rule of 3 usually helps.

I Just have to do more research on what my allergen is specifically to in Willow and cottonwood trees.

2 Likes

It would make sense not exactly as a rooting hormone to encourage growth, but to encourage healing on a chopped plant and bring it back to good health to aid in faster rooting…

3 Likes

Fuck it! My garden will be the guinea pig. I’m gonna foliar the whole damn thing and see what happens.

8 Likes

If you aren’t allergic to aspirin then you aren’t allergic to salicylic acid as that’s what aspirin is.

1 Like

Aloe also has salicylic acid. :+1::seedling:

10 Likes

So, the aspirin philosophy makes sense then? Honestly aspirin at the dollar store is cheaper than aloe. Guess I would be straying from strictly organic though.

7 Likes

A hundred percent sense!

Mostly used in rooting agents yes but many other properties as applied to plants

7 Likes

The problem is I’m finding out what I react to now giving me a histamine response when I eat or take something. While not severe I do get a scratch in my throat that I itch until it bleeds if I keep it up unknowingly with aspirin a couple times a day for a few days. Eating aloe by accident has caused the same itch as well.

To be clear by accident I mean not paying attention and keeping it up instead of using ibuprofen after the first day.

It feels like when I have a reaction to cats and everything gets itchy. That same throat itch. It could be the salicic acid or something similar in structure that my body overreacts to.

1 Like

Though I don’t react to aspirin or aloe topically like I do with Willow. Aspirin and aloe seem to be 2 ones I can use safely

1 Like

Hi Meesh, no heart attack info here but just yesterday I smooshed up an aspirin and the tiniest sprinkle of borax into a mason jar, shook it a minute and filled two jars for two cuttings from the only Afghani Gold plant I have. Don’t yet know it’s sex but it will provide in some fashion regardless.

That is a single 5watt total dollar store grow light.
24/7 cuz even if male, I plan to cross it with my Tiger Jack. And collect and store some pollen.

btw I’m a survivor of a 99% blockage of the widowmaker.
Good health to you. :hearts:

6 Likes

Well I’ll be darned something else I can add to the compost tea batch!

4 Likes

Clackamass Coots suggests adding aloe (aspirin) right before using the tea. Apparently it starts to break down in as little as 20 minutes.

5 Likes

Good to know ! Plus. 20

2 Likes

I beilieve in my thread magic potions and elixirs it talks about from jerry bakers book

2 Likes

I won’t tell anyone mums the word if anyone asks me! Lol

2 Likes

Seems an aspirin is giving you a headache … :joy:

4 Likes

BTW was this an 81 mg tablet or a 325mg tab for tablet strength?

2 Likes