Banquos Basement

LOL, guess I should have looked up Hodag, that’s quite a tale. “born from the ashes of cremated oxen” In your case, it looks like that’ll be a great cross. Those narrow leaves and stigma domes look fantastic. Frosty too.

The goverment is painfully slow to get anything done WE WANT. Of course, the rest of it, the parts that aren’t so fun, are timely. Hopefully there is some rescheduling that actually occurs and spite between the two halves of our fractured system doesn’t just prevent any progress there.

I really liked a “fast” Black Domina this season. It was done in Mid-August, which was a great time to harvest. It really stood out as a unique plant from that perspective. The smoke is decent but not my favorite. I want to make a fast, female bubblegum by reversing a FastBudz Original Bubblegum Auto and pollinating a Fleur Du Mal Indiana Bubblegum later in the season. It’s intended just for me, because it sounds like Bubblegum will be right up my alley, and early harvests are welcome, but if I get a bunch of seeds I’d share 'em without any hesitation. I mostly want to see if it works or not (will it start flowering before the photoperiod trigger levels of other plants). The BD I grew this summer started flowering mid June, after 9 weeks of veg. I’d really love to have something consistent and early enough to get harvests mid-September, which if this is predictable, may work out well. I’ll always be growing some other plants through November, but I’d like to distribute trim jail/dry cabinet workload better than this year. If I can have harvests mid-Sept, early-Oct, late-Oct/Nov that would be ideal - 2 weeks of dry in the cabinet for each harvest before I need to be clearing stuff to trim/cure.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with the Triangle bagseed. Hopefully it’s great and worth the effort.

How do you pick what you’re going to run? What looks/sounds good? I feel like I’m getting interested more in older stuff than newer crosses. But then again, I don’t have a tent, so I’m looking for outdoor tolerant varieties. Maybe that narrows it for me.

I wish we’d just get snow here. It’s getting cold and windy and overall nasty, at least give me some snow to try sledding with the daughter. Of course, it’d definately be old by day 2. Cheers man! :snowman:

2 Likes

Just started flower
Cheers
Hapi

6 Likes

Hodag F1 about 40 days since flip

Lipsmacker S1 that’s probably going to see an attempt at re-vegging. I shoulda cloned her when she was in veg, but I didn’t. Now I gotta do some silly stuff to try and keep her around. Shout out to Rhino Buddy for the idea.

Lucky Charms IX. Not sure what happened here, other than “I fucked up”. Like I said before, I think she straight up rejected the lollipop training and did her own thing. Those nodes under the branch tops are basically worthless, beyond the resin they’re making. It’s all leaf, or dang near all leaf. I’ll still get a decent smoke from the branch tops, but that’s about all I’m expecting from her.

I’ll get some pictures and start preparing a final write up on each of the seeded plants in the 2x2. The 2 Triangle plants smell very similar, extremely earthy and a big slap of OG dank. But each of the 3 Jack Herer smells different, at this point, and their flower structure is all over the place. So, the more I think on it, the more I think I’m going to keep the seeds from each female separate, unless someone wants them mixed together, like for preservation runs or whatever. It’s getting close to time, I know it without checking the day count. I’m seeing fewer and fewer white seeds in the bracts, and more are getting obviously dark. I might even mess around and pop one out just to see whats up. :man_shrugging:

Found a possibly viable seed in some GMO. So it looks like I’m not THAT bothered by checking a plant for issues on a daily basis, despite what I said about the Triangle plants being a pain in the ass for the same reason. I mean, it IS GMO though, sooooo… :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

7 Likes

What smells you getting off the lucky charms ix I got some f2 in veg right now stoked to see them in flower

3 Likes

I gotta say, she’s very subtle at first. Almost no smell without disturbing the plant in some way. I just had to squeeze a super larfy lower bud to really get a good sniff. She’s also very complex. There’s a lot of stuff going on. For sure does smell like her namesake, but not right away. Sniffing my fingers now I’m getting a “fruity” marshmallow smell, even without my fingers being close to my nose. Right off the plant though, I was getting citrus and floral, with the citrus leaning towards something like mandarin oranges or tangerines. The floral part was very green smelling, but not grassy green or hay green. Green like a lilac bush right before the flower buds set, or like a fully grown tulip tree. It was really unique, but faded fast.

She’s the first plant I’ve had in over a year with solid rails of trichomes running down her leaf blades. I’ll get some pics before harvest and try to show off her best features. Thanks for stopping by :blush:

3 Likes

Some Hodag F1 shots from yesterday, day 45 since flip. I’m guessing 25-30 more days for her. Water bottle for scale. She’s so so ready to start falling over on herself, I’m afraid to take her out to water. So she stays put and I slide an oil drip pan under her to catch runoff.

Lipsmacker S1 by @hollyho
First pic is the main top, each pic after is a random branch top. I can’t believe how dense these flowers are. I decided I better get the dehumidifier running and drop the RH in the basement down closer to 40%, rather than 50-55% like it has been. I hate to do it, breathing that dry air all day makes my nose hurt. But I’ll cry if I lose this plant to botryitis at the very end. She still reeks of Strawberry Bubbalicious and Elmer’s Glue. It’s getting so pungent that it’s all I smell when I’m in the tent room. I’m really excited to get her chopped and hung. Might even have to get the WeDryer out to help keep the stank down.

I’m working on a “report” for the Jack Herer seed mothers. At first, I was gonna just mix the seeds from all 3 mothers, possibly keeping some of the Dr. Pepper mom aside for interested folks. Well, that’s out the window now, I think. Each of the 3 plants displays enough unique characteristics for me to say I have 3 different phenotypes here. 2 are similar, but not identical, and will have drastically different yields. 1 is not like her sisters, at all, but resembles the male I used more than any of the other females did. All 3 of them have that Dr. Pepper or spiced cinnamon candy smell to them, so that’s kinda exciting. The first one that had that smell is now the most muted of the 3. She still has it, but it’s more complex than just Dr. Pepper. It’s got some earthy/woody smell with it. The “middle” plant, smell wise, kinda just smells like a weird flavor of Dr. Pepper, or Pibb XTRA if you’re familiar with that one. Like a bottle of soda that accidentally got an extra shot of flavor juice in it at the factory. The last plant, and the one that most resembles the male, has a really greasy smell to her. It’s for sure Dr. Pepper, no question. But it’s also kinda minty, maybe? Not like food or candy minty, but like Kush Mintz minty. It tingles the tongue a little bit, or in this case the nose. It’s really cool, and I think given her qualities, her seeds will end up going the fastest.

I will put this write up together maybe over this long weekend ahead of us. I want to give as much information as possible to anyone who wants some of these seeds. Although I gotta say, if you really wanna get familiar, just do some reading on the strain in general. It’s been out here for dang near 30 years now, nothing I could tell you would be new info. And that’s really the backbone of why I’m not going to mix the seeds for “preservation”. Jack Herer doesn’t need me to do that. It’s been done. Hundreds of times. So I’m better off working lines within the strain to see what I can find and isolate. But before I get into something like that and breed it into the ground, I’ll share with a few people here.

I’ve given all 3 of them names that sorta relate to how they’ve grown. “Nurse Jackie” is the first one to have the Dr. Pepper smell. “Stalker” has no branches, and all of her buds hug the stalk very closely. “Purple Topper” looks the most like the male, has some purple, and would branch like crazy if she’d been topped. So those are the 3 lines I’m gonna try to work. Stalker doesn’t interest me as much, except maybe for the SoG potential and terps. But I won’t let it go, no matter how uninteresting it is to me. Someone, somewhere, at some point will love it. That’s just how it is with cannabis. Period.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I am thankful you’re here and taking the time to read through my ranting and raving. Imagine knowing someone like me IRL. Be thankful you don’t :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Edit: Just realized that stuff about the Jack Herer kinda reads like the seeds are ready now, and they aren’t. Still gonna need about 2 more weeks in the plants. Maybe as little as 10 days, but I’m not gonna rush. Hopefully I’ll be able to start sending them to people around Christmas/New Year.

6 Likes

Happy Danksgiving back atcha @Banquo , nice read. Makes me think of the cocoa kola x rootbeer freeze cross, cross that to the “Dr pepper” and have a " suicide soda" strain?!. (My dry humor, smh). I just made a couple Jack crosses to dig through too, jackx PNW HP x Puck bc1, and Jack x Puck x chem 91 bx3, little boring compared to your smorgasbord of selections. Finding and allowing the plant to lead you is cool to watch. You: " I might mix the moms?!" Moms: " no we’re all different and deserve our own line"!. Cool project
Hapi growing

4 Likes

In my experience, 50% is OK, towards 40 is better.
Indoors, air flow makes a big difference, especially at night. That’s when botrytis will kick your butt.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Maaaaan. Truer words have not been spoken on this thread in ages. You got that right, and it’s scary to watch it happen. I’ve watched the RH jump up by 15 points in half as many minutes when the light goes out in my 2x4. Including the exhaust fan, I have 5 fans in that tent. Only the 2 smallest go off with the light, and those 2 just blow at the plants. My exhaust is maxed at 10/10 all the time. In fact, I’ve been looking at the negative pressure kit Gorilla Grow offers because all 4 walls suck in a few inches, and the plants touch them.

Looking and feeling good now that the dehumidifier is going. The plants are anyhow. My left nostril is another story though. But it’s worth it. My plants are worth it, and they’ll reward my suffering starting in about 3-4 weeks :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Lipsmacker S1 main top, day 49. Gonna start looking at trichomes tomorrow, towards the end of day 50. Should be mostly cloudy by now.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe this is growing in my tent. Just went back and looked at the pics of her mother and the resemblance is striking

4 Likes

Where the bubble-heads at? I’m on the verge of my very first bubble hash run, so any pro-tips are more than welcome. I’ve been hitting YT pretty hard the past couple days, and I’m getting burnt out watching the same 3-4 people doing the same thing, reading the same script. It’s like Bubbleman wrote a script for everyone like 9 years ago, and people just keep remaking the same old video every 3-4 months. Don’t get me wrong, Bubbleman is a DAWG for what he did for folks like me, and his videos are super easy to follow along with. It seems like all the information is there, or at least enough of it, so that someone like me can follow along and end up with something resembling bubble hash. And I guess that’s not really what I meant by “pro-tips”. I’m looking for the stuff you only pick up on after doing something hundreds of times over years of experience.

I smoked the test buds I clipped off the Lipsmacker and Lucky Charms. The Lipsmacker was extremely potent, but the flavor was muted because I dried the test buds near the dehumidifier. And I mean POTENT. Hit almost immediately after the first toke. Waves of feel-good radiated out from my core and down through my limbs. It was incredible, and I can’t wait to harvest that one. Totally sold on a reveg attempt with her. The Lucky Charms was kinda the opposite. Flavor was 9/10, even with a fast, shitty dry. But potency was about 5/10, with no affects being discernable over my base level of stoned. Wasn’t able to do the test on either bud with a clear head, but might give that a shot after chop. I don’t think I’ll take any test buds from the Hodag. Don’t think I need to :sweat_smile:

So yeah. The plan is to wash all or most of the Lucky Charms IX and see how it goes. I’ve had this Bubble Bag Dude set for like 2 years, but only used 1 bag 1 time to try and make dry ice hash. It didn’t go as well as it could have. I probably shook the bag too much for too long. Lesson learned. That’s why I’m starting here, asking around for advice or for you to share your experience with myself and any others who may drop-in down the line.

Last thing to talk about, then I’m out for the day. Twisted Tree Autoflowers finally did the Pure Michigan Auto drop. Went live sometime in the early hours on Black Friday. I knew it’d go fast, so I went ahead and got the 10-pack. I’ve been waiting on this one since I started growing. Seriously, 2 years ago when I was putting my rig together and looking around for seeds, I stumbled upon Twisted Tree and decided to give their Alien Moonrocks a go. I don’t even even remember how it came up, but in one of my first emails with Willow, she mentioned them working on a Pure Michigan Auto. I was sold right then and there and would have pre-ordered a pack if she’d let me. I’ve hawked and hounded their social media, waiting for any hint that it’s about to drop. So, now that it’s here, I gotta get it going right away. Which means switching the lineup. Again. :sweat_smile:

New lineup is going to be some fire though. Plus, honestly… Who wouldn’t want to be one of the first people out here running a Pure Michigan Auto? I don’t think any of the major auto breeders have done it yet. If they have its still in testing and being kept under wraps. Same with Peanut Butter Breath. So I’m hoping to maybe bring a few new people to OverGrow by way of search results. Maybe if I get my shit together I’ll give the grow diaries site another attempt.

So here’s what I’m thinking. 3 autos in 5 gallon pots filled with a funky blend of Fox Farms soil, starting in solo cups of 75/25 Happy Frog and Ocean Forest, then around day 7 moving into their final homes with a ~50/50 mix of Ocean Forest and Strawberry Fields. I’ll of course be adding some perlite, since they’re autos. They’ll probably get Mega Crop, Sweet Candy, and Bud Explosion from start to finish. I might see if the soil can hold them til they’re well into flower, then start top dressing with this Pridelands stuff I have. I can’t say it does work, but I also can’t say that it doesn’t work. I paid for it though, so I wanna use as much of it as I can before the date on the sticker rolls around. I might even mess around and see if I can get the AutoPot tray up and running. I dunno though. That’s a lot of work keeping 3 autos off of each other if they take off. That NewBerry Auto I had was a monster, and a huge amount of work in such a confined space. Maybe I’ll leave the tray alone for now :sweat_smile:

New lineup, although I do reserve the right to swap out seeds at any given moment, with or without reason.

1. Pure Michigan Auto by Twisted Tree

2. Nova OG x Pure Michigan Auto by Twisted Tree (first time I’ve seen them do any cross as a freebie)

3. JimmyJacks Auto by Twisted Tree OR Northern Cheese Haze by Mephisto

That last one probably won’t be decided until the day I begin soaking the seeds. I’m 100% stuck on wanting to run both of those. I’ve tried starting 1 seed of each but neither sprouted. There could be something else in my fem auto drawer that catches my eye when I go digging around, so it’s whatever. Maybe I’ll stick to just the 2 plants and focus on keeping them super happy so they get really big. :man_shrugging:

Okay, wow. I’ve gotten so far away from the original point of this post. Bubble hash, and pro-tips for making it. I want to wash this Lucky Charms and see if the hash tastes as good as the flower does. Might even mess around and convince myself I need a rosin press to take it a step further. That would be nutty. Grow out a whole plant, wash the whole thing for bubble, then press that to hash rosin. That’s what resin farming is all about :sunglasses:

7 Likes

These should get you going.

7 Likes

If you want to see a video where there is no wasted time for babbling on and getting boring:

I won’t even fill your head with nonsense.

4 Likes

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!! You humans are the absolute BEST. Once again the OverGrow community proves its the best cannabis community on the planet. That a weirdo like me can randomly ask for help or advice on a random thread and get solid replies from people with actual experience, priceless.

I actually might be starting the process today. I think I wanna go the fresh frozen route, and I’ll have a handful of hours today to work on it. I was looking at the Lucky Charms and Lipsmacker last night and both are just about ready. I wanna give the Lipsmacker as much time as she needs without letting too much amber creep in to the trichomes. The Lucky Charms can come down whenever though, since she isn’t going to magically bulk up and make me decide not to wash the whole plant.

I’ll try to get some pics during the washing process. If I manage to get it right, maybe it’ll inspire someone else to give it a shot. If I can do it, anyone can. Much gratitude to ReikoX and Joe C for stopping by and sharing big knowledge. I truly appreciate people like you two :pray:

6 Likes

You ain’t lying there @JoeCrowe :joy:

Their videography is good at least. 🫶😋

1 Like

That’s my youtube channel, it’s got lots of strange crap there youtube.com/@hashmatty

2 Likes

I love it!!! Straight up how to and no BS. I’ll check out your other stuff. :+1: Love some good entertainment. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

All the death to pests videos are awesome!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas, everybody :christmas_tree:

4 Likes

Merry Christmas friend!

1 Like

🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣🫣

6 Likes