Baseball sized buds

Well six days into drying out of curiosity I feel one apart …moldy …it appears some caytlx have died inside the bud promoting the mold growth??about 68-69 temp humidity 55-64 in a paper bag …problem is I have seven more just like it but in a panic I cut up all the other buds and put them in a dryer condition

So as I see it rn the bigger and denser the bud more risk I have for mold???

17 Likes

Yes…bigger and denser the bigger mold risk.

Usually only an issue when you grow single cola-style or have humidity too high.

6 Likes

Well I have them in a card board box with lid closed…so more humid in the box makes since …also they were the biggest tops I pulled…the rest I have dried in paper bags and have had no issues yet …got me all riled up though

2 Likes

It can be a very mild infestation but if you dry them nice and slow and hang whole plants (which is what you’re supposed to do IMO) it can take over rapidly in a few days after chop. Gets me every now and again but it’s humid where I live.

When I lived in a dry climate, it almost never happened.

3 Likes

It’s interested me seeing your anecdotes about mold indoors because I haven’t yet faced it in the short few years I’ve been growing. It’s humid here but not inside because of the AC and heat.

Is your grow space climate controlled?

1 Like

@middiesman These are already harvested and have been drying for six days …sorry bud

1 Like

…first time I’ve had it happen I just tossed that one nugget and trimmed the rest into smaller pieces heart breaking really but better then loosing it all lol

3 Likes

Nope. Winter is no problem. Cold in Michigan, basement is dry and heat running is on so humidity is low.

For about 4 months of the year, it’s humid and warm, so opposite problem. I have AC, that’s helped a lot but letting buds get too big i.e. not enough branches will still give me occasional problems with denser varieties. It’s not a frequent problem but happens just often enough to piss me off.

5 Likes

Condolences. I just threw out half a small plant for the same reason. I’m keeping a close eye on the rest of it.

Shit happens eggs baskets you know.

10 Likes

Bud rot as well it happens due to humidity and poor air circulation also don’t spray the buds also

I had the same problem early direction is key
Exam plants often

Paps

7 Likes

So I don’t wanna dry in paper bags ?

Not good lol I know sugar leafs and all that can die off into your bud and cause mold but in this certain instance I discovered dead calyxs in middle of bud …first time I’ve seen them die on plant really

Strains matter too. I’ve only encountered bud rot 4 times and 3 times with the same strain

3 Likes

Fortunately I grew the plant out till harvest with no mold …unfortunately mold was discovered on drying buds approx the fifth day …stupidity on my end drying them in a small box with the top closed everything else is in paper bags and onto jars now …the density is really the buzzkill atm believe it or not …moby dick auto mold resistant strain …not mold resistant when dead lol

1 Like

You want air flow my friend. Especially during summer.

I think botrytis is the name of your pathogen. I’ve had it happen too

4 Likes

Hang dry, with air circulation. Ideally you want 60°f 60%rh but thats rarely feasible unless you have a closed off air conditioned room. I keep my house at 72-75° and 50-60%rh in the weeds room.

3 Likes

Got mold on one of my plants last grow binned the plant didn’t even try to save anything lol,I’m funny like that,same with female plants I spray with CS spray even if it’s only couple of branches plant goes in the bin after I collect the pollen

7 Likes

Thanks for the tidbit to read up on !

1 Like

Seems plausible to me that a bud wash after harvest could help eliminate that fungus spread during the dry stage.

2 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face:micro wave it for a min that will get of moisture in the center of the big buds and it wont hurt it. :mage: