Basement hempy with sils, lots of beans, “breakfast weed”

Idk, I tried organic methods for a long time, and found them to be very hit or miss. I have done “super soil” grows with several different bagged soils, none actually made it all the way without adding something. And once you add something you have no other course than to wait and see if you helped or fucked it up more haha. And if it gets fucked up, I’ve always had bad luck unfucking it. I have also done “bottled organics” using soil and earth juice. That actually gave me my biggest and “best” plants to date, but was tons of work. Basically had all the downsides of both organic and hydro. Had half a dozen bottles, had to mix batches of nutes and bubble them etc. But also couldn’t fix a mistake without waiting it out, and the mixed nutes had a shelf life. So there was always a 5gal pail of animal parts, crap, and molasses threatening to foam over in my closet, so fuck that too. I have done a couple soil and dry organic food plants, and those do work out alright. But I still feel like, out of the drivers seat if something comes up.
Also the slaughter house source of a lot of organic stuff is not a winner for me. That’s kind of a big one. At least salts is honest haha.

But yeah, the solos are not optimal. I did the solo contest as much as an excuse get some beans dropped when I was already doing something new (coco) and should probably have waited. But since I knowingly made a bad choice, I’d kind of like to keep making that choice and try to see it through. Or what’d I learn, ya know? Also, I’m killing the 40 oz plants too haha. And I’ve grown plants in that same style cup, so I’m not so sure I wouldn’t just be killing bigger plants right now…

4 Likes

Idk that I suck haha. Normally I can at least keep it on the rails though. But I can’t only show the nice ones, you’re gonna get the whole spectacle in here. Good or bad. Just that right now there’s mostly bad haha.

3 Likes

Lol! Didn’t mean for it to come across like that, but I can see how it could! Just saying you’re getting better every step of the way.

3 Likes

I’ll be in your shoes next grow. Migrating to coco hempy buckets once this grow is done

5 Likes

Yeah, I had that problem during the one time I decided to go by the “grasscity no till thread” regimen. And then I kept fucking it up when the plants started looking gnarly by adding more and more shit haha. Still, though, I think in general soil’s more forgiving.

I’m not trying to convince you to switch haha.

Plants look good? Otherwise? Haha!

5 Likes

Mornin @potpotpot,

If you are shopping for a new growing technique I’m gonna suggest that you consider the micro octopots that many of us are using. I switched to these from my Big Pot Supersoil grows and have had success from the very first run.

They grow big plants with minimal effort and, if you hook them up to an autofiller system you can literally put the system on autopilot and walk away for a week or two!

Here’s a thread by @firehead that provides details.

Not “Sellin,” just “Sayin…”
-Grouchy
PS, Did the Mexican Widow pull through?

4 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan Oh yeah, she’s still alive! Hurting, but still alive. The bottom of the plant actually looks pretty ok still haha. And I have a cut rooted, it still needs to reveg, if she does I’ll run her again and see what the same plant does if not restricted to a cup.

I have seen the octopot grows, and they are impressive. I’m gonna try to get coco squared away before I branch off again haha.
Anyone run coco in their octopots?

3 Likes

Hooray for the Widow! Hope she makes it.

I think the consensus is Promix and 25% perlite or some variation.

Cheers,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

@potpotpot have you tested the pH of what fucked them up with your new pen?

Check out the thread @duke made, do what he does for a grow… then reinvent the wheel, lol!

3 Likes

Unfortunately no. I had a couple partial bottles of nutes mixed, and decided the best thing to do was chuck it all in the slop bucket and start over.

Yeah, I’ll have to go check out his coco how to thread again. The man can definitely grow some nice plants!

How come every time in reinvent the wheel it comes out square? Haha

2 Likes

Got all froggy yesterday. Put a bit of coco under the roots, and topped off the pots on the 2 in solos. Roots look pretty good considering what the top looks like haha. The errrrr pots seem to being doing their job, more holes in the bottom next time. And they were jammed in that cup, surprised it didn’t crack. The roots on the Mexican Widow are similar, no pics though cause that was a real juggling act haha. Even washed my saucers!

10 Likes

They are looking very nice for being those errrr pots! How often are you watering?

The cup restraints are working well, some of those gals are a mite top heavy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am watering twice a day, and leaving some water in the tray each time. Ideally I would have a slow drip going constantly, but I don’t want to put too much effort into something like this, I’ll just use real pots next time. And I’ll noodle over a free gravity drip system until next time I decide to do something silly like this haha.

Yeah I’m really pleased with how the supports work too. I was tempted to just tie the plants to a vertical wire attached to the top of the tent, like you might do with cucumbers, really, really happy I didn’t, now that I’ve had to pull them out of the tent a couple times haha. The Mexican Widow is 30” tall from the top of the cup!

5 Likes

I’m up to 2x a day with seedlings in solos, and they’re only 6" tall! I never leave any in the trays, just seems like asking for trouble, and I have enough of that without asking.

I’ll be real interested in what you set up for a drip deal, I’m going to need to do something this summer.

Good call on bigger pots!

3 Likes

Regardless, they’re looking pretty gawddamn nug-y haha.

I keep biting my tongue, restraining myself from being like,”Dude! Fuck coco! Get back to organics!” But now I’m like,”Hm. Maybe I should switch to coco…” haha.

Just kidding. I never will.

Still, though, plants look tasty.

4 Likes

Oh man, if I didn’t leave water in the trays I would need to water these 5 or 6 times a day. Now that the coco stays wet, they start to runoff after 60ish ml. Then I add another 120 to the tray, and they drink that to a film in 11hrs! So each day I am feeding 16oz (473ml) solo cups 360mls.

I had originally ordered 2gal fabric pots, but after seeing the growth in solo cups I bought some 1gals haha.

Good thing they’re nuggy, cause there sure as shit aren’t many leaves left haha.

Knowing myself as I do, I’m sure that once I get coco to work how I want my interests will wander haha. Who knows though, maybe it’ll knock my socks off and I’ll stay in coco forever. I will say that the multiple feedings everyday thing, while a bit tedious maybe, was a damn good way to see mistakes and changes in real time. Things can change so fast in 12 hrs it is crazy!

But yeah, I haven’t totally blown it yet haha. Won’t be a lot of bud, but what is there sure smells nice!

5 Likes

I just don’t understand why you switched to coco at all. I mean, knowing that you’re a little, uh, frugal haha, it seems like staying organic would be the least-expensive route. Having to buy nutes and shit just to keep your plants alive sounds a little, uh, costly haha. But I also get wanting to try new things all the time.

It’s all a journey… haha.

4 Likes

I mean, there are so many different things that led up to me trying out hydro. I think the most significant was the fact that when I moved to this house I had like a couple of years of really miserable failed grows. All using the same organic stuff and methods I did before I moved. Tried some other organic stuff, kept failing, wasting beans in the process. That was a big push to branch out haha. I was a zealot before too. But then I started thinking about the source of the inputs, peat moss, guano, blood and bone etc. I just doubt they’re happy cows and when we get the guano from the cave that we don’t the bats up in the process. I know there are “vegan” organics, but it seemed like black magic so I just said fuck it and started salting things haha. And the process continues haha.

Edit: I will say though that my veggies outside are still mostly organic. So that means that I always have a bag of organic soil on hand. And I’m lazy too, so sometimes I’ll just chuck a plant into dirt and let her go. Like I did with all the plants in my last grow for example. Still used salts for most of them though. The purple satellite almost doesn’t count, cause most plants do not react that well to abandonment haha.

Idk, hydro has been cheap as fuck for me. I bought a huge bag of chunky perlite like 3 years ago for like 30 bucks, still 1/3 full. At the same time I bought a bag of salts and bottle of cal mag. I was out of the store for $100ish. I still have a tiny bit of the salts, and a ton of cal mag. I don’t include the cost of the ph pen and stuff cause that’s tools and they’re easier to excuse haha. But yeah, I’m a cheap fuck. I own 3 pairs of pants, and sleep on the floor to save space in my small ass house. My coat is 16 years old. Also mattresses are a scam. Flip side is I own the house haha.

7 Likes

Yeah, man, I wasn’t criticizing or anything haha, you don’t need to explain yourself; I was just kinda cracking jokes. I don’t care how you wanna grow your weed haha, I’m just along for the ride.

Like I said, it’s all a journey… haha.

I will add, though, that I don’t use blood or bone meal or guano, for the very reasons you mentioned. I’m not sure I’d consider that stuff (the blood and bone, anyway) necessarily organic.

Anyway, yeah, it’s all a journey…

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I get it, no worries.
I’m just long winded and love talking about weed and growing. And being cheap haha.

2 Likes