Basement hempy with sils, lots of beans, “breakfast weed”

Well alright then…

8 Likes

I hope to keep them in solos until the end, as much because I’m stubborn as the fact that I have them in the solo cup grow off thing going on here.

I have heard that, and try to put it through as fast as possible, but the last week or so if I don’t go pretty slow, it just runs out the top holes. After yesterday’s flush it is back to normal, or closer anyway.

The Assist is good stuff. I have from back when I used to use Happy Frog soil. That shit gets so hydrophobic it’s crazy. I swear the plant would float away before it absorbed the damn water haha.

1 Like

Yeah, I can see similarities there! Let’s hope for my sake she has the WW flowering time too haha.

1 Like

Gotta have some good news! Roots out the bottom of 4 of 5 cups, and new growth on the LBF male.

5 Likes

Hey @potpotpot are these LBF F2’s from Bad Dawg?

Or are they from the f1 gen?

3 Likes

They are the F2, but are the Starfighter pheno.

3 Likes

Ha! Well I guess we’ll see what differences show up!

2 Likes

I have followed what I expect is a normal curve for coco rookies.
Everything was going nice, increasing feed rates. Noticed some deficiencies(iron), played with my ph a bit. Did a couple flushes. Better, but not perfect. Increased my nutes a bit more. Rate of change stays constant. Flushed them hell out of them, and started using Assist, which lets me keep the coco “wet” all the time, instead of 2 dry(ish) periods each day. All of a sudden leaves are burning and curling in and all sort of awful shit. Dialed my feed waaaay back, the dying slows up.

So basically I think I was pouring food on them, and trying to figure out how to get the food into them at the same time. Finally fixed the uptake issue, and just absolutely crushed them with nutes. Live and learn! Good thing I didn’t defoliate ahead of time, or I’d have no chance of pulling this out. All the extra leaves gave me a buffer here.

I think we’ll pull through, if I can avoid doing something like this again anyway.
Before

After

Funny how the leaf on one side of the node is cherry, and the other is totally fried.

8 Likes

Yeah, man, that’s one of the reasons (the main reason, really) why anything other than organic soil never appealed to me. Seems like there’s too many variables and too many chances to fuck up my grow haha. Plus, it’s expensive. Or more expensive than soil, anyway.

Those solo cups probably aren’t helping, either, right? Probably be easier and more forgiving if you move into bigger pots. Why are you doing the solo cup thing again? Just because of the “OG Solo Cup Challenge” or whatever? Haha.

3 Likes

Well as my good friend Jake says:

5 Likes

Idk, I tried organic methods for a long time, and found them to be very hit or miss. I have done “super soil” grows with several different bagged soils, none actually made it all the way without adding something. And once you add something you have no other course than to wait and see if you helped or fucked it up more haha. And if it gets fucked up, I’ve always had bad luck unfucking it. I have also done “bottled organics” using soil and earth juice. That actually gave me my biggest and “best” plants to date, but was tons of work. Basically had all the downsides of both organic and hydro. Had half a dozen bottles, had to mix batches of nutes and bubble them etc. But also couldn’t fix a mistake without waiting it out, and the mixed nutes had a shelf life. So there was always a 5gal pail of animal parts, crap, and molasses threatening to foam over in my closet, so fuck that too. I have done a couple soil and dry organic food plants, and those do work out alright. But I still feel like, out of the drivers seat if something comes up.
Also the slaughter house source of a lot of organic stuff is not a winner for me. That’s kind of a big one. At least salts is honest haha.

But yeah, the solos are not optimal. I did the solo contest as much as an excuse get some beans dropped when I was already doing something new (coco) and should probably have waited. But since I knowingly made a bad choice, I’d kind of like to keep making that choice and try to see it through. Or what’d I learn, ya know? Also, I’m killing the 40 oz plants too haha. And I’ve grown plants in that same style cup, so I’m not so sure I wouldn’t just be killing bigger plants right now…

4 Likes

Idk that I suck haha. Normally I can at least keep it on the rails though. But I can’t only show the nice ones, you’re gonna get the whole spectacle in here. Good or bad. Just that right now there’s mostly bad haha.

3 Likes

Lol! Didn’t mean for it to come across like that, but I can see how it could! Just saying you’re getting better every step of the way.

3 Likes

I’ll be in your shoes next grow. Migrating to coco hempy buckets once this grow is done

5 Likes

Yeah, I had that problem during the one time I decided to go by the “grasscity no till thread” regimen. And then I kept fucking it up when the plants started looking gnarly by adding more and more shit haha. Still, though, I think in general soil’s more forgiving.

I’m not trying to convince you to switch haha.

Plants look good? Otherwise? Haha!

5 Likes

Mornin @potpotpot,

If you are shopping for a new growing technique I’m gonna suggest that you consider the micro octopots that many of us are using. I switched to these from my Big Pot Supersoil grows and have had success from the very first run.

They grow big plants with minimal effort and, if you hook them up to an autofiller system you can literally put the system on autopilot and walk away for a week or two!

Here’s a thread by @firehead that provides details.

Not “Sellin,” just “Sayin…”
-Grouchy
PS, Did the Mexican Widow pull through?

4 Likes

@GrouchyOldMan Oh yeah, she’s still alive! Hurting, but still alive. The bottom of the plant actually looks pretty ok still haha. And I have a cut rooted, it still needs to reveg, if she does I’ll run her again and see what the same plant does if not restricted to a cup.

I have seen the octopot grows, and they are impressive. I’m gonna try to get coco squared away before I branch off again haha.
Anyone run coco in their octopots?

3 Likes

Hooray for the Widow! Hope she makes it.

I think the consensus is Promix and 25% perlite or some variation.

Cheers,
-Grouchy

2 Likes

@potpotpot have you tested the pH of what fucked them up with your new pen?

Check out the thread @duke made, do what he does for a grow… then reinvent the wheel, lol!

3 Likes

Unfortunately no. I had a couple partial bottles of nutes mixed, and decided the best thing to do was chuck it all in the slop bucket and start over.

Yeah, I’ll have to go check out his coco how to thread again. The man can definitely grow some nice plants!

How come every time in reinvent the wheel it comes out square? Haha

2 Likes