Bigj’s Refresher run

I was thinking a small one 2x2 probably. Just for some pollen control mostly.

1 Like

This is the one I just ordered. Has some heavier fabric compared to some others. Should be In Tomorrow
https://a.co/d/cVtYFe1

1 Like

Nice. Gonna check it out. :wink::+1:t3:

Thanks man.

1 Like

Colorful! :orange_heart:

It looks nice actually. That double door is cool. Let me know if it’s a hassle. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

No problemYep it’s an odd color but I could care less oncolor anymore. Especially if a not so popular color is cheaper. It just needs to do its job. lol Amazon is good for that. The nitrile gloves I just got were half the price of other colors because they were lime green. Lo. Sure I’ll take the discount could care less on color especially with grow supplies :joy::rofl: keep them cost down on when I can and spend the bigger bucks where I need , lights fert ect …:v:

4 Likes

@BIGJ do you have an explanation of your trough system here somewhere?

Yes. I posted some pics for @TestOfOath a bit back. He made a system similar . This trough system was made by general hydroponics called the aero 18. It’s been discontinued. There are a couple other systems similar, it’s an old school NFT system and works amazing, my favorite of all hydro. I’ll see if I can find the pics

2 Likes

Yeah cool. I’m down to try and make a reproduction of it lol.

1 Like

11 Likes

@Indicana_Jones Ok so I found the pics on my end. Basically the pump pumps water from reservoir up into the troughs through the spray lines , the spray lines have holes drilled every so often , the troughs fill with water to desired height which is controlled by the adjustable drain tubes and back into the reservoir, the spraying action oxygenates the water and the plants take what they need … pretty simple. I have an idea to make another setup like it but lower profile for more head room.

4 Likes

Small pond pump , 3/4 pvc manifold. , 3/8 water feed line , 5 in square troughs , 1-1/2 in drain tube , 17 gallon reservoir large air stone in reservoir, I run it continuously, once it’s started it only shut off when I do reservoir change for flower switch.

5 Likes

How is it for leaks? I’ve tried a number of different types of hydro and any time I spray or pump anything but air I get leaks. Once DWC 5 gal bucket had a crack! It was so tiny, it took me weeks to sus out.

3 Likes

The only place I’ve ever had a leak was at the manifold. Where hooks to trough. It’s just standard plastic garden hose type connection, I just replaced the hose washers and no issues, the drains sit over the reservoir,

4 Likes

This is awesome man. I’m headed to Lowe’s tomorrow to price out all of these pieces. I peeked at one of these joints through Google and they were talking about $750. We can do better than that.

2 Likes

Yes. I have idea to make 2 , single trough leach on its own reservoir , 8 foot trough 4 plants per trough for grow room , about 200$ to make both complete just add water and plants. Lol.

2 Likes

@Indicana_Jones this is what I was thinking, Home Depot carries 90% of it so Lowe’s may just as well 5x5 decorative vinyl fence post covers for troughs .the sell end caps. 27 gal totes for res , 1-1/2 sink trap extension pipe cut and turned into adjustable drain. Use 3/8 stick pex for spray line , some 3/4 flexible pvc and fittings, Use all plastic any metal will react with nutrients especially brass or copper , I found pumps and couple special fittings on Amazon.

3 Likes

That sounds super solid to me. Those vinyl fence post covers were the first thing that popped into my head as soon as I saw this system. You said you run the thing 24/7 or was that just for the air stone?

1 Like

Yes 24/7 on pump and air stone. @TestOfOath made a version similar based off of mine and posted and using on his journal. 2 issues with this system. Reason I want to make another First issue is that the troughs need to be longer with better spacing, mold and bud rot can become an issue depending on plant size. So better space would help and probably help with issue number 2. The plants grow fast and they will get big. Well big plants means big roots and they can fill the troughs and cause flow issues. So im thinking longer troughs with better spacing will help. I’m gonna start using this setup for autos from now on. Autos will benefit from the rapid growth and with their limited size should cause less root blockage issues. Photos stay in buckets for now until I either set up my flora flex coco setup or I build the new trough system. Maybe both :crazy_face::crazy_face:

5 Likes

I’ve had a cracked bucket or 2 some of them are really hard to find. I’ve been getting replacements on amazon petco has some blue 5 gal feed buckets with lids for 8$ ea. sturdy buckets. Sometimes I use net pot lids and sometimes I cut the lids and use whichever size netpot I feel I need for the plants. lol. Last set I used 4 in net pots, see what works best :v:

3 Likes

@Indicana_Jones . One word of advice if you build this. Get an extra pump. When I got this system from my brother years ago. I had the original pump…it already had a few years on it . Well that pump died mid flower and had to run to H.D. To get another because I didn’t have time to wait . I paid 120$ for a pump when the replacement was 40$ on Amazon. Keep a backup . You can do with out air for a bit because it continuously circulates, but not the water pump. The plants get angry and start to fade pretty quick, couple days can do some damage

4 Likes