Blurple,Cob,and Florescent Fun

Wow, beautiful plants!

locked-sm2

1 Like

Thanks man!

It’s that time in the grow for, “Bud Pics,”. If you here you must love, “bud,” and if you love, “bud,” then you gotta love, “Bud,” pics.

So here are some, “Bud,” pics for you buddy!

Runt Hibernate/Jabba below

Lav Aura pics below

Lucky 7’s X Mex swag etc. Left ceiling vent open and cold air turned some leaves slight purple.

Lav Aura X Ice
Many strip foliage from lower plant but with side lighting can get much good lower buddage.

5 Likes

Day 60 flower. What a long strange thrip it’s been!

Thrips back so sprayed all the Pineapple Haze just now with neem (no pics today).

The rest too close to finishing to spray so gotta ride it out. Most should finish in a week or two. The Pineapple Haze never got sprayed so they are the ones looking bad. Other not so much.

Started with six Pineapple Haze and have 5 females with one remaining to show. Supposed to be reg seeds so am I just getting lucky? (or unlucky wanted to make my own seeds). Oh, well got some pollen around here and have clones of em too.

This is Lavender Aura X Ice. The white line in middle of two kolas is string (I’ve used string for many years to control lean-age). Check out how different the seed bud looks (lower bud pollinated…usually get between 10 and 30 seeds). Some Bud pics below.

Next we have Mexican Swag X Lucky 7’s X Hibernate pics below (cool air purple). Hibernate actually has a purple phenotype but could also be P.

Below are Lavender Aura. Love those foxtail buds!

Lastly it’s the, “little runt that could.” Hibernate X Jabba Stash (my go to coconut oil weed).

See you as they finish! (two should finish in less than 10 days I think).

Hope everyone has a happy and high time!

8 Likes

Sweet work… (both the plants and the photos)
:sunglasses: :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Thanks man I really appreciate it!

1 Like

Day 70 of flower for some and one chopped a few days ago. The Jabba X Hibernate was approx 30% amber trichs. Below are pics before chop.

Above are pics of Lavender Aura X Ice

Lavender Aura above

Mex Swag X Lucky 7’s X Jabba above with last corner pic of all together with three Pineapple Haze. Already chopped many lower seed buds and sampled some of each and the Swag X Lucky 7 X Jabba is really something special. It is the strongest I have grown in years and stronger then Lucky 7’s alone.

Ordered a veg light so can use larger light in back. New Mexico recently went legal and between my wife and I we can grow 12 plants each (6 in veg and 6 in flower). So 12 total in flower. Right now I don’t have room for six in flower.
Haven’t done a continuous grow in over 20 years so kinda fun like full time fun.

Oh, and pic of happy male Pineapple haze below.

Still haven’t even got up to full speed yet (gotta get my wife to go through the walk in closet…truthfully I can’t get my wife to do anything she doesn’t want to) and buy more lights etc.

Fun, fun, fun man!

5 Likes

Update pics of clones and male.

Look Ma no hands!?!??!(oops I mean no dome).

Transplanted two clones and most others ready to transplant now (been like 2-3 weeks).

Barney’s Farm Pineapple Haze male.

Below some pics of extra frosty Ice X Lavender Aura

Both the Lavender Aura and Lavender Aura X Ice are showing some amber (Lavender Aura more) so I expect to chop Lavender Aura next in handful of days (had some ph probs with that one but bought a reverse osmosis machine and all are looking better now). Seems they have altered the PH of Walmart Spring water (covid?).

The Mexican swag X Lucky 7’s X Jabba is showing no amber but about half cloudy/half clear trichs.

4 Likes

Well, it’s always something ain’t it?

Doing the usual daily close inspection for herms, bugs, and deficiencies, etc. and discovered this:

Yep, the dreaded, “bud rot!” Fortunately it was the only spot VISIBLE at this time and didn’t have to cut out too much.

Very sad though as this one very strong and not even showing amber yet and just starting frosting up. But between thrips (still have em on the ones close to harvest) and packed in too tight even with good fan the cool temps at night will make problem so I chopped it.

Gonna have to grow this one again as very promising (Mexican Swag X Lucky 7’s X Jabba Stash). Here some pics just before chop.

Ok enough bummer stuff let’s all have, “Hope for the future!”

Here are some pics of a Pineapple Haze just a handful of days from 30 day flower with three lower buds pollinated with three different strains. So that’s exciting and hopeful for the future.

Below is a pic of a giant stretch-o-matic Pineapple Haze with pic of three Pineapple Haze.

Think I’ve had some bugs?

Very strong fan helps with bugs. Funny just finished tiling a huge kitchen w/backsplash in a mansion and can’t seem to tile my closet floor (and bathroom floor). Need to clean up that closet at least!

The last one close to harvest is the Lavender Aura. I like 30% amber on a Sativa Dom but will settle for 20% because it’s the last thrip plant I have (got rid of male already after collecting plenty of pollen and have clone of male). So here are some parting shots of Lavender Aura as will chop just before lights on tomorrow morning.

Veg room pic: Transplanted some clones and swapped out 2700K giant CFL for a giant 6500K CFL.

What next?!?!?!?

2 Likes

I was a sailor, I was lost at sea
I was under the waves
Before love rescued me
I was a fighter, I could turn on a thread
Now I stand accused of the things I’ve said

Love comes to town I’m gonna jump that train
When love comes to town I’m gonna catch that flame
Maybe I was wrong to ever let you down
But I did what I did before love came to town – BB King and U2

Well, the stretch-o-matic Pineapple Haze #6 went hermie on me. Pretty sure I caught it before blasting my other plants.

The bugs may have pushed it over the edge if it was borderline. Poor Bez trimming his bud with thrips (and mealybugs and aphids still) I think flying around his head.

Found some mealybugs on my sticky stick things. Pretty sure I caught aphids early enough but was still seeing, “honeydew,” on some leaves and couldn’t figure it out until found mealybug (looks like tiny moth).

Had sprayed many times (7 days apart) with Ferti-lome Triple Action (mainly neem with 0.25% Pyrethrins) and that seemed to help but not halt.

Replaced as much topsoil as possible and sprayed with a Bonide that leaves a dust when it drys from a foliar spray. That seems to have halted most but still see a mealybug when shake plant on occasion.

I have been growing in this closet approx. every six months for about ten years now and had aphids once early on and mold once about 20 years ago (and same during winter with too cool temps and too crowded).

We had a long severe drought here and then rained and rained and rained until the drought was over but then the rain stopped again and now we are going back to drought. Seems the critters (bugs mainly) come out in force after a drought and then so little available here in the desert for the bugs to eat (except for like my rose bushes I water).

My indoor marijuana plants have everything that is attacking my rose bushes and I have been spraying them all summer and still may lose one. Crazy man!

Besides bugs the rose bushes have leaf septoria, botrytis, and powdery mildew. I have a huge lilac that powdery mildew has almost destroyed it and have been spraying it with high dollar stuff with little effect.

All my houseplants have the same stuff! Been spraying them also and sprayed the rose bushes with my neem/pyrethrins (no bees winter here but my rose bushes haven’t seemed to have noticed it’s winter) and the neem worked better than the high dollar stuff.

I have some Spinosad may use next on my indoor plants. I suspect open doors and maybe even through the screen window where my houseplants sit (more like trees).

Been careful about changing shoes after trimming roses and washing hands and keeping trim material away from house plants but oh well stuff happens.

Decided to expand some as have extra light and plan on ordering another grow light early next year but kinda stuck between Timber and Chilled (already own one from both). Don’t even want to mess with the potential shipping mishaps that can happen this close to Christmas like I just recently struggled through with Amazon and a US carrier.

Have a high side and lower side.

Here is view of lower side with two heavily trimmed revegs (will they hermie?) with other a clone. Check out the shop lights I use for side lighting.

Just a heads up they are 5500 Lumens has 5000K Led color temp (good for vegging), uses 50 watts and can plug in 4 as a daisy chain. And only $14.00 dollars.

I’m a big believer in side lighting and also using some florescent tubes because the one thing fluorescent lighting has that LED’s don’t have (and plants love it) is ultra-violet light. Anyway, decent shop lights at decent price and plants will love em (need all spectrum throughout grow just more blue at start and red at finish).

No, I don’t work for Walmart (can’t hardly even get my wife to go in)! Just a good deal for $14 even if just used to veg.

Here are a pic of Pineapple #5 and #3. Number 3 will be at thirty days flower tomorrow on the 6th. The bud hairs are ruffled because when I spray plant I go back right away and spray the buds with plain water to wash away any neem, etc. off the buds.
Clones

Recent harvest at the jar to paper bag process Been upside down some days in open air then to paper bags for some days (usually 2-5). Then overnight in closed jar put back in bag for awhile then back in jar etc. Put em in with slightly crunchy on outside and back to non-crunchy overnight and so on.

Peace and Love to you!

4 Likes

Sorry to hear the bugs are giving you such a hard time.

You are right about the fluorescent tube UV, cheapest and most efficient way to do it. I think the primary emissions were 185 and 250nm?
There are LEDs banging out UV now, but rather expensive way to do it.

Nice stash of CFLs :+1:

Cheers
G

1 Like

Thanks for your comment. My blurple actually has some UV LED’s (got lights off now or would send pic). They just look blank like they aren’t lit.

Also, some far red but US company that made my bluple is out of business. They used Cree and Bridgealux (spelling?). It was very expensive and is maybe six years old?

The CFL’s are left over from the days before LED’s and when only an arsonist would put an HPS or metal -halide in a closet.

Twenty years ago had two 200 watt CFL 2700K (needed mogul socket and shaped same as CFL in box in pic above on lower shelf…can still buy last time I looked…6500K one of the few far blue available as cfl…great for veg).

The 6500K burns very hot whereas the 2700K not so much so can drop a 200 watt 2700K (about 9 inches long) right down in the center of your grow about 5 inches from your plants.

The tubes now almost impossible to find around here (unless you want to buy a pallet) especially in the 2700K -3200K. Even though the plants can touch them without burning they make great heaters in the winter.

CFL’s compared to LED’s is no brainer now as LED much more bang for yer buck but still believe UV (2700K especially) aid in crystal production/formation (I of course have nothing to base this conclusion on except stoner observation…lol).

Guess they gonna faze them out for more energy efficient LED’s? Hoard 4 foot tubes now!

Thanks Gpaw

2 Likes

Update: even more bugs!

I have mites! All the signs were there early on (now I know). I also had mealybugs (tiny white fuzzy things I sprayed out of buds and collected with a q-tip with alcohol on it).

So I remember about a month or so ago seeing a reddish/brown patch on a leaf (the same as my rose bushes). I didn’t know at the time that a was a collection of Russet mites.

I also noticed some webbing and realized I also have spider mites.A small cactus my wife bought some months back had a spider web on it (ah-huh)!

Also, had/have white-flies (last post meant white-flies when I said mealybugs but have them too). Below is a pic of a white fly that has turned dark in the week or so it’s been stuck.

The mites looked like tiny brown dots and some clear dots and some white dots (spider mites?) on underside of leaves. It has frozen here (down to 24 degrees Fahrenheit here) so instead of reddish/rust colored brown just brown now on my rose bushes. Lower pic some leaf hopper bites (had some of those too…wish I took a pic at one I found dead on floor of grow closet).

These roses were just sprayed a week ago and nearly every week prior and will likely lose one or two. Never have I seen anything like this here. I have roses all around my house!

Here is a pic a day after sprayed with Mother’s oil weirdness. It helped but too many leaves twisted and deformed from mites (a sign too look out for) so chopped em back and put back in veg.

So now have a Pineapple Haze #5 and #3 flowering and a #5 clone to start flower. The rest in veg and will remake clones and not introduce anything new into flower until I get this thing that’s bugging me over with. Ya, they just trying to make their way in the world (just like me) but I ain’t destroying someones medicine to do it…lol.

I have a fair amount of time,effort, and money into these Pineapple Haze so gonna try and save em but realize I may have to chuck everything and start from scratch. I have learned a great deal about mites, etc. so that’s good.

Below are current pics of #3 and big and small #5’s. The small #5 looking a little weepy from Mother’s oil weirdness but looks like may have killed the mites (moved light further back and shut off a few as too intense light and oils can make problem).

Been switching between sprays and found the Spinosad stuff has worked the best. Mite eggs can hatch every three days so now still spraying every two days between Mother’s weirdness (not on budding plants though) and mostly Spinosad and then also Neem with .25% Pyrethrins, and dish soap spray and some Safer stuff that is mostly Sulfer and fatty acids. Trying to stick with the Spinosad on the budding plants.

This last pic of recently pruned clones as tops were all twisted and deformed from mites.

4 Likes

He’s bugging out…out of his mind!

Bez stands in kitchen wondering what the hell he went in there for

He think’s, “ah, good oil dose this morning!”

Well, got rid of everything except mites and thrips. Not sure which one is worse. I guess mites because can’t hardly see them but you can see thrips flying around (right after sprayed…sigh).

The flower closet looks pretty good (as far as thrips). Clean sticky sticks! Veg room different story. Only have three in flower now (Pineapple Haze number 3 and two #5’s). The #3 is at approximately 6 weeks (it will be eight weeks on 1-6-2022) and already has some amber on sugar leaves.

Been drenching buds with Spinosad every two days now (everyday at first). Sprayed a reveg yesterday with Isopropyl water mix with no ill effect on plant so sprayed the 4 1/2 foot #5 this morning.

They have three % of Isopropyl Alcohol where I live. There is 90% and 70% and 50%. I had read 1:7 ratio and 1:9. If you use this don’t let any get down into roots! Tie a plastic bag around lower stem and cover all of the topsoil.

I used half a cup of the 70% mixed with a quart of water. There are eight half-cups in a quart. Apparently will kill mites by contact. Evaporates quickly due to alcohol which with regard to mold is a good thing. I also live in very low humidity desert.

I also have dusted some Captain Jacks Spinosod powder on surface of topsoil (along with some nasty Bonide stuff) that has seemed to helped.

I’m recloning everything except #6 the hermie. Even the male #4. Not putting anything else in flower until get this mite/thrip thing taken care of. Problem is I have many houseplants (some I’ve had over 10 years and are trees now) so have to get them cleaned up.

At least on my veg and houseplants I can use all the organic nasty stuff (oils, sulpher, fatty acids, etc.) that I can’t use on budding plants so I have hope I can whip this thing.

The wife just freaked out at the mention of offloading all our houseplants (and she freaked out enough as it is…coconut oil had cured her of all kinds of stuff but her Norco opioid doctor gives a pee test so she quit for now.

She takes a ton of meds including Trazadone, Xanax, Ambien, and Norco (a strong opioid) and I have to hide them and give them to her or she will get into them!

I make extra strong oil (ounce to 1 cup of oil). More than 1/8 of a teaspoon get dizzy or have to take a nap or both. Anyway, she claims she gonna give up on the pain pills and other stuff after this last visit (her drug of choice are those deadly pain pills).

So here are some pic worthy flowering Pineapple Haze #3 short one and #5 over 4 1/2 feet tall (about a week behind #3).

First the four and a half footer (imagine if this wasn’t topped).

Now the Pineapple Haze #3 below:

4 Likes

Last Update 2021

This was the first morning that I went into veg room (doubles as laundry room) and no visible flying insects. Also, no visible damage from insects to be seen at this time (been that way in flower room for a week maybe). So now if I spray every other day and if I am lucky (which I’m not…sigh) maybe them mites and thrips be gone in a few weeks!

Chucked original #2 due to much bug prob. Only one in clone room is from original seed and that is #1 (which may get chucked as have good new #1 clone).

Original #3 got chopped early a few days ago (actually had some amber on sugar leaves) but buggy big buds with cool temps a recipe for mold so better to have decent bud then moldy bud.

#6 was hermie and #4 male (have clone). Have a #2 clone with another #2 clone started. Have successfully produced some Pineapple Haze seeds from #3 (just chopped) and should be seeds in #5.

So right now I only have two #5’s in flower. One #5 (original from seed) will be chopped in a few weeks (unless honeydew shows up on leaves which then I will chop early)

Here is a heads up on a decent product found here in U.S. at Lowe’s. These are perfect for a weird, “side-lighting,” kinda dude like me. In pic above one can see two red and white LED fixtures (much more red than shows in pic).

Here is pic of box showing spectrum. They are 4 foot at 30 watts and the flower spectrum is approx. $60.00 (the veg/reg cycle spectrum is less money I think). They are made by GE. It wouldn’t be my choice for top lighting but can already tell they rock on as side lighting!

Also, at my Lowe’s they decided to close out a bunch of organic insecticides etc. like Dr. Earth’s, Bonide, Captain Jacks, and Safer’s etc. I bought em out here on many brands (reg $10-$15 all close out at $1.97 and $2.97). And no I don’t work for Lowe’s just trying to help.

Since we went legal here in New Mexico my plan is to work towards a license ($500.00 for 100 plants). At this time I don’t even have the room or the lights to grow what I can grow legal now between my wife and I (we can have 12 plants in flower and 12 in veg). I’ve thought about my expansion and the multitude of paths available and have decided a room of 3 X 3 stalls would work best for me.

I will further pursue my method of growing (utilizing side lighting) as I will build stalls in the future. I paint my walls with Elastomeric roofing paint for very high reflectivity (better than mylar). Seems a no-brained decision to use side lighting in order to get the most out of my lights.

I could hang some good LED’s and do a whole room grow but I miss out on side-lighting and would have to do a SOG which would be fine if I wasn’t doing so many different strains with different heights, etc. With stalls I not only get great reflectivity but can also hang side lights. Height no longer becomes an issue as each stall will have it’s own adjustable light and can grow up to 6-7 feet in an adjusted stall (good for 6 feet now on one side).

Also, when factoring in canopy penetration (not so easy with LED’s) seems yield will increase over SOG, SCROG on a similar small scale grow. I have separated my closet into two stalls. Each stall has it’s own passive exhaust into attic. Will have to add inline duct fan as I add more lights in room.

So next I will build a wall coming out three feet from closet wall with open access at top for light placement and air circulation. I feel I have better controls with temperature and lighting options when using a reflective strategy within a stall. So eventually, I will have a room of stalls (with at least one independent stall that is sealed from others for strain stabilizing and breeding).

I could hang a 600 watt HPS in center of room and grow plenty but not my style of growing. My electric bill now is so low I can’t even imagine anyone not taking advantage of LED’s. Gotta add those fluorescent lights for that must have UV light though.

Couldn’t believe it when I went into Lowe’s and found 4 foot T12’s. Mentioned to the clerk hadn’t seen em in years and clerk said ya they were out for a long time and just started coming in again. The, “plant and appliance” bulb is 3100K. Couldn’t find a 2700K but plenty of 3500K and 4000K and even 6500K.

They sell the bulbs but don’t sell a 4 foot shop light (or any light fixture) that uses T12 4 foot florescent bulbs. I have two shop lights (bought extra ballast…they only had the one) and have a quad unit may hook up at some point.

This Pineapple Haze at just under 5 feet tall is a perfect example of the benefits of side lighting. Aside from commercial lighting very few LED’s will even penetrate well at three to four feet (cobs having better penetration but that’s changing).

HPS Metal-Halide great at canopy penetration but LED’s not so much. So either side light or SOG, SCROG?

A guy I know grows with hydro and grows a bunch of little plants very fast with little popcorn buds (that taste and smell like a frog’s ass…swampy) and not very strong high. His weed has bag appeal but many shop at out-of-town dispensaries because local so bad. Dude does grow a bunch of weed quick if that’s what is most important???

SCROG seems too labor intensive and kinda a bondage for weed but just my dumb opinion as I haven’t tried it. Twenty years ago I was a purist and wouldn’t even pluck a single leaf of even top them. No stress growing!

Insects will turn one into a leaf pluck-er like quick!

In a 2 X 2 space can get much more yield from growing a 5 foot plant with side lighting then a 2 X 2 SCROG. Below is a pic of a 5 footer trying to spread out beyond the 2 X 2.

So this is really trying to spread out!

Guess better lasso this little mare!

Ah, that’s better.

I’ll finish off this post today with some more bud pics of Pineapple Haze #5
you’all be safe and have a Happy New Year!

3 Likes

Thanks for the update and you definitely have some fire in your garden!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words! I especially needed it now as I am somewhat discouraged with growing and my bug problem.

Cool name and damn good ZZ Top album!

I travel to Tejas often (usually Amarillo and Lubbock for doctor appointments). Party central in high school because could easily get into bars if looked 18.

Thanks again for your post Tejas.

2 Likes

The bugs are winning!

Here are a few recent pics of my grow closet.

A thrip just flew by (sigh) but it is mainly the mites it seems I can’t get a handle on.

I have made clones from clones and even ejected all original from seeds (somewhat finished #3 and #5#5 threw nanners and was chopped about a week ago…likely due to bugs, spraying, etc.). I now have a #1 (largest clone in bigger pot) and a #2, #3, and #5.

I have cloned a clone from #4 (male) and about to toss the original clone (still have pollen from original male collection).

Will try and transplant #2,#3 and #5 today (they need nutes). Have other clones as doubles took yesterday and tossed original clones.

Been spraying Neem w/pyrethrins and Spinosad and Dr Earth’s Final Stop mainly and switching between them so different spray everyday.

The Dr Earth (variety of oils like garlic, cinnamon, rosemary, etc.) seems to have worked the best for mites although the oils do some damage to plants even with lights turned down. Especially spraying daily (glad I got a bunch marked down)!

Can see below damage caused by daily spraying. My main objective at this point is to finish a #1 and #2. The #1 was very robust and came up a good week before the others. The #1 and #2 are the only females I didn’t get seed from (have seeds from both #5 and #3).

Some of these likely will not make it (hell, the whole bunch may not make it) but are doubles anyway. Can see daily spraying damage on these.

And notice the leathery look of the leaves.

Anyway, so now decided I will use this time to my advantage to pull carpet and build wall for next stall and tile floor (should barely be warm enough to set up my tile saw…nothing like cutting tile with wet hands in the winter).

So maybe this a good thing as will get squared away on my grow space and give time for bugs to go away. It’s so weird as I have been growing here continually for many years with no bug problems and have always been safe when going from my garden outside to grow inside (change shoes always…have my indoor shoes).

I can seal off both rooms and bomb but hope that is not necessary. I don’t like using nasty insecticides (even though I have some) because I also have 3 dogs and 5 cats with only two of the dogs inside all the time.

I see now why when they show major grow operations they have a sealed double door system. Mites on large scale would put em out of business for a time.

Certainly now my eyes are wide open to bugs on cannabis and how fatal they can be!

Next time will show pics of new tile floor and new stall and maybe all NEW plants…lol!

2 Likes

Update: New digs process.

Got closet part tiled and will use caulked 1 by 4 as base trim.

Still need second coat of grout and man need new tile saw blade (bummer is the only decent tile blades are all expensive). Still got the original that came my saw so will try that one.

Well, I had some options here and hope I picked the right one. The original part of this house was built in 1929. Then the house was added on to with a concrete foundation. I was trying to stay on the concrete as I had never seen underneath the carpet.

I was expecting wood flooring but someone before obviously put down some plywood. I wonder if it is even 1/2 inch plywood (code). I have always put down 3/4 inch plywood for decking (even 2nd floor and roof). Can really tell a difference when you walk on it.

The AC handler for central air is directly behind the corner at concrete and years ago the condensate pump quit and I wasn’t growing at that time so no one really went in the room and leaked water under the wall and carpet likely warping the plywood.

I could feel a dip through carpet and wasn’t going to venture out beyond the concrete but the interior walls are 2 foot on center. So anything less then four feet I need to scab in some nailers.

Ya, climbing up in attic and pulling back some really old and dusty fiberglass insulation to scab in some nailers (or rip into drywall at wall or ceiling) sounds like fun to me? Not!

So have a wall stud and ceiling joist to tie into at four feet. But check out this edge.

Hard to tell by pics but is a fkn roller coaster. Most levelers only good up to 1/2 inch so I see a shim (plus leveler) here. Gonna make a corner and and come back a couple of feet for added reflection (and can ramset bottom plate on concrete).

Wall won’t be load baring but will sledge into place.

Now, the status of veg and bugs. Threw out a #3 yesterday that had recently transplanted (almost every leaf has mite damage) yet another clone taken from same is clear.

Threw away the male #4 and have a #1 (larger one) and #2 that so far look pretty good. Maybe I can clone from them and clone and spray my way to a #1 and #2. Want both but especially #1…very robust.

Peace and Love!

4 Likes

Quick update since I’m here to respond to another thread.

Night before last put down leveler.

Then framed yesterday.

Now today will drywall and paint.

Tile tomorrow.

4 Likes