Bodhi Guide - Seed and Strain Discussion (Part 1)

I think Legs may be referring to this part of the PotCast interview he did with heavydaze:

Heavydaze

Okay, okay, and so if you decided you wanted to take a certain strain to the next generation or you want to ,you know, look for a special male to work with, how many seeds do you ideally like to pop to kind of get a good representation of the strain, to you know, be able to see what’s locked within it?

Bodhi

Well from my seeds i’ll usually just pop one pack and if i don’t find something in a pack then i call it a bummer thing, i think you should be able to find an excellent plant in every pack, that’s what most breeders should be should be aiming for, I don’t think you should be getting multiple packs to search, and you know? These days it’s not hard to make a good hybrid, our gene pool has been so refined over time, you know, it’s not like going back to the 70s and 80s where you’re bringing these land races together, it’s like we have a highly refined gene pool and it’s almost impossible to make a bad cross with some of the stuff we have today, unless you know, except, you know, it may be from hermaphroditic tendencies and stuff that kind of have been slowly creeping in, it’s not, it’s not rocket science, and if you’re passionate it’s pretty easy, just to put things together and get good things out, but if you have a vision, you’re really gonna want to do some goal oriented breeding, where you’re really kind of focusing on an outcome and doing everything you can to fulfill that.

He may have mentioned it somewhere else in the interview as well, I don’t have the whole thing transcribed that well.

But, yah, I agree with ya, I’ve found some not so great plants along with the stellar ones. Just how it goes, I think.

26 Likes

Yes @iamyou_youareme thats exactly what I was referencing, thank you for transcribing that. Wasn’t meaning to say that he’s always successful, as I don’t think any breeder is 100% at achieving their goals 100% of the time. There are shitty plants, and probably packs full of shitty plants in Bodhi’s and every other breeders gear here and there, but more what I meant is that his general goal is to try to have a keeper in each pack, which I think is a benefit to the small home gardener

19 Likes

I never heard that one. It’s such a game of chances… but yeah common sense says anyone thats putting out a pack “for sale” would imagine there’s gonna be some good phenos in there. With these newer Ghash crosses having higher than normal male to female ratio… finding a keeper in a single pack is even harder. Has anyone else had this experience too?

When I read the quote above about B going on record to say the grower is going to get a keeper from every pack that sounded to me like you were implying he was giving some kind of guarantee… or at least thats how I percieved it. But yeah he’s very much an asset to the common Joe… I mean you can buy packs now for $40 online… $40!! Thats insane how cheap his stuff is Vs the competition.

Imperial Majesty is one I’ve always wanted but never pulled the trigger… but for $40… I couldn’t resist and its coming to my mailbox tomorrow morning.

16 Likes

Depends on what qualifies as a keeper in your book as that will vary from person to person. I’ve been happy with the end product in most packs that I’ve gone through from Bodhi, some more than others. An excellent plant in every pack to me has a different meaning than keeper and I think that goal has lined up with my experience reasonably well, at least with how I interpreted his statement in his interview…

The only pack I was really disappointed with was an unreleased freebie : Legend OG x SL. Granola Funk I wasn’t thrilled with any of the plants in the pack but I may just not like cookies.

25 Likes

thats actually a meaningful exchange we can have. what are we keeping? why? and how many of it do we find in packs? and spec to this thread, in Bodhi packs.

for context, ive grown about 30 different strains (usually on average 3 plants per strain, give or take), 8 or 9 from Bodhi, 3 or 4 from Doc , 3 from Ethos, 3 or 4 from The Plug, Katsu, Rare Dankness, GG, FastBuds, Anesia, and stuff people have crossed - is sort of where my experience is at (currently growing some from Archive for the first time).

in all 90+ plants ive grown, ive prob found 5 plants i consider keepers (of those 5 i wasnt able to reveg/clone 3. ) - to me a keeper is:
1 consistent high (usually that means that the plant has consistent effects. I know i will get stoned, calm, fast paced, etc. no matter what or at least most of the times its effects will feel consistent),
2. scent that actually translates to flavor is big for me,
3. potency, and finally
4. low or moderate leaf to calyx ratio (density and other qualities are welcomed but not a must).

Bodhi wise, I remember one Goji OG F2 that was nuts (but that was catapults cross of Bodhis work), and an excellent Spirit Hashplant - i lost both. There was a Time Bandit that yielded horribly but had potential, that ill have to grow again to see if i do better.

If I keep a cut, it doesn’t necessarily mean its a "keeper"

I sometimes take a cut, or grow a plant again not necessarily because i love it or consider it a “keeper”, but because there are certain qualities that are nice to have around. For example Smart Move, it is fucking too leafy and the density and quality of the bud is not really consistent, but it has a great taste. I know ill kill it soon (and thus thats why its not a keeper) but somehow it has managed to find room in my flowering tent every now and then because flavor/potency wise, its nice - but as soon as i need space to keep something else, it will go.

In that sense, i find that theres always an interesting plant in a pack of Bodhi (or per 5 or 6 females). just not necessarily something that qualifies as a keeper.

28 Likes

Crap photo I know but one of my Goji F2’s is as black as anything I have seen, filled with Sour bubble seeds too!

41 Likes

Popped quiet a few ghash crosses and only a couple males. Way more fems.

8 Likes

The Ghash crosses do not have more females to males.
It’s 50/50 over the lot. Count them and see.

I don’t keep anything haha, but to me the only quality I’m looking for is,”Do I like the way this weed makes me feel after smoking it?” I’m not sure what other qualifiers there’d need to be, really. I guess if you’re a commercial grower, yields might be important, but I’m not, so…

Regarding Bodhi’s seeds specifically, it’s extremely rare that I haven’t liked (or considered “keepers”) any of his gear. I’ve loved almost everything of his I’ve ever grown, to varying degrees. And anyway, everybody’s preferences are different; one person’s “keeper” might be another person’s garbage. I know a lot of people, for instance, like shit that gets them all couchlocked and lazy and whatever; I do not like that. So even though they might consider some heavy-ass smoke a keeper, I would not.

It’s all subjective, like movies or beer or music or wine or books or anything else.

Great weed for sure. Grew a couple a while back and was not disappointed.

22 Likes

be interested seeing you grow that out bro…I’ve been looking at that majesty recently…be good to hear report on it if possible.

6 Likes

We had the opposite experience with Black Triangle it was more than 50% male… same with the Grape Pie x Ghash… maybe it was just bad luck then.

Also heard someone else say the same thing… think it was Logic over at THCFarmer

@2high whoever the hell u are… u having a bad day?

10 Likes

that’s a valid point, but please leave out the “stupid” stuff next time.

it’s 50/50, subject to luck of the draw within any given pack of seeds. with a large enough sample group, you’ll always get 50/50.

the only thing that will really throw that off is the presence of herms or an accidental herm pollination resulting in additional fem females.

11 Likes

Eh, there are definitely lines that produce 70/30 female to male, and vice versa. Not every line is 50/50. I see a lot of 60/40.

9 Likes

I’ve seen it myself. 100% agree. I’ve popped a lot of seeds in the past and some strains were much higher female to male ratio… I don’t see why it couldn’t go the other way.

When I used to grow a lot of TGA for example… you could pop a 5 pack of Agent Orange or JTR and get 6 females (twins) and then think it’s a one off situation until you see it happen again and again and again… and hear others make the same claims.

Granted I don’t have enough experience popping dozens of Ghash crosses to know with certainty but my limited experience plus what I’ve seen posted on THC Farmer and a couple other comments led me to believe that the Ghash dad made a higher ratio of males… I’ll walk that statement back if folks here say it was just my bad luck… but I definitely believe the sex ratio is strain/genetics dependent and not 50/50 in general with all strains.

7 Likes

Yup depends on dominance of either parent. Just like my family, it’s male heavy. Out of like 15 cousins, only 3 females. And 2 of those came from my immediate family.

But I agree, on a large enough scale, probability is gonna be 50/50ish, but realistically it’ll be more like 60/40 or 55/45

6 Likes

It may be limited experience, but I’ve had slightly higher ratio of females from Bodhi’s Ghash work,
Hp crosses with
*Orange Wookie

• Mango Biche
    *f2s of Dank Sinatra

But likely, it’ll level out to around 50/50 with high enough sample set imo.

:v:

7 Likes

This may be a long shot!

But does anyone have any, or know anyone who might.

Orange Sunshine (Cali O ae77 x SSDD) or f2s/3s of this.

Will be happy to do a trade, from some of the limited selection I do have, or even some original artwork if that’s something of interest to anyone.

:v:

8 Likes

Here’s a grow report: Bodhi Dread Bread and Imperial Majesty; Lucky Dog Diesel Therapy; Doc D Purple Corinto Budder x A5Thai, Outer Limits and Sour Diesel x DE

And if you don’t feel like reading through the whole thing (my reports get extremely chatty, won’t be offended if you don’t want to haha), there’s “chop day” pics and smoke reports of the two Imperial Majesties I grew on this thread. Or you can just scroll down to post, like, 10,000 in that log haha.

It’s just luck of the draw, dude. Sometimes you end up with more males than females, sometimes you don’t. I’m not a geneticist or anything, but I’m fairly certain it’s not possible for any male plant to be magically creating more seeds that turn out male than female.

I planted four Uplift seeds a while back and all four of them turned out female. Does that mean the Snow Lotus male produces more females than males? No, it doesn’t. I’ve planted a bunch of other Snow Lotus crosses and ended up with some males and some females, sometimes I ended up with better F:M ratios and sometimes I didn’t.

That’s what you gotta deal with when you’re planting non-feminized seeds. And I’m fine with that. I expect the ratios to not always turn out favorably. Is it disappointing when all five of the Hashplant D’s I just planted turn out male? Yes. But I’m certainly not gonna blame it on the 88G13HP male that Bodhi used for that cross.

11 Likes

thankyou kindly minitiger❤️

3 Likes

Well of course I know that in a small sample pool that you can’t predetermine anything… I’ve just seen it mentioned more than a few times and then the quote by… I wanna say Logic at THCFarmer… and my small experience… I drew that conclusion. My test results from Farmer Freeman was a whole lotta males. I will be more open minded and am pleased to hear if I am wrong… since I myself have about a bunch of Ghash related packs.

On a similar but different perspective and somewhat related… I get a kick outta how for YEARS we were always told (when I say we… I mean the forum users in general) that sex was not pre-determined and that more favorable growing conditions after the onset of germination… cooler temps, lower levels of nitrogen, 18/6 light schedule vs 24/0… they actually said in many threads I’ve read… even on Breedbay from respected Breeders… they said that you’d get a higher than normal female to male ratio by the way you treat your seedlings… and by giving them better environmental conditions. This of course is now known to be complete Bologna as you can send a leaf sample in to be tested in as little as one week after germination and pay a company like Farmer Freeman a small fee and they’ll provide you with a email report indicating sex a few days after they receive your sample. This disproves the entire notion that sex is determined by growing conditions… yet I’ve seen and heard folks say that for years… and the reports we’ve gotten from Farmer Freeman’s genetic testing were always 100% spot on correct.

I did already peep your Imperial Majesty pics and grow report @minitiger… it was that very thread that got my interest in them stoked… I liked your description of the Cherry Trance too… even though it didn’t sound like it was your favorite or extraordinary… it may be that better phenos exist. I have high hopes for the Cherry Trance. I’m a Cherry nut myself. Love Cherry buds.

I’m also really liking what I hear about Pure Kush crosses in general. Strayfox has Hollywood Daydream, Hollywood Fighter, and Pillow Surfing packs that I was able to recently pick up… from B all I have been able to get my hands on is that Imperial Majesty and his Holyweed (V1).

9 Likes