Bugs? šŸœ šŸ›

If theyā€™re on top of the soil you might try sprinkling diatomaceous earth. I always try it before going an insecticide.

2 Likes

Sounds like white flies youā€™ll need to kill them or theyā€™ll kill the plants.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had good success with white silica sand on the top half inch of the pot with those bastards also

Edit: You must wet sand down before using it the dust is bad for you ummkaay link for MSDS below

http://www.nfmpools.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Silica-Sand-MSDS.pdf

Alright. Iā€™m gonna pick up both for safe measure but Iā€™ll apply the silica sand first. Now just to make sure Iā€™m understanding correctly, I must wet the sand before applying it to the soil, correct?

1 Like

Yes, you wet the sand to keep dust down before using it, the remaining dust will wash off into the soil with waterings.

1 Like

Sounds good. Iā€™ll be picking all this up once Iā€™m off work and Iā€™ll apply it tomorrow before watering. This should do the trick, only saw about 4 of them running around so hopefully thereā€™s not many under the soil lol. Iā€™ll update ya in a couple days if i still see em.

1 Like

They should be big enough then to start getting some pics too

1 Like

Be careful with silica sand. Wear at least a dust mask untilyou get it wet. I used to work with that stuff daily and know a few old timers that are paying the price for no ppe with it. Once itā€™s wet youā€™re good itā€™s only the dust that destroys lungs.

2 Likes

Iā€™d spray the plants down with some soap and warm water about a teaspoon per litre adding soap after youā€™ve filled your sprayer not the other way round.

Good luck and Iā€™d love to see some SSYO Mama f2s pictures.

1 Like

Great, Iā€™ll be picking those all up today and treating them tomorrow with it before watering it in. Iā€™ll spray em down too tonight before lights off.

Your situation makes me think of 2 scenariosā€¦ First, you had bugs in your bags of soil or you overwater.

Great point, I meant to touch on that as well. The soil is roots organics and I have heard multiple people say theyā€™ve had pest issues with this brand. The plants have been in the soil for almost 2 weeks now though so wouldnā€™t symptoms already be showing? Also I try to only water how much I think the seedlings need, so I donā€™t saturate the whole pot until theyā€™ve formed the first true fan leaves. Iā€™ve also never seen these bugs and my watering regimen has stayed the same since Iā€™ve started growing (not very long lol), give or take for thirstier plants. Should I try letting the soil fully dry out before applying the sand or DE?

How many legs did they have?

1 Like

I used to use Roots Organic and got a lot of soil gnats. It got me in the habit of pouring the soil in a covered bin and topping it with a light layer of diatomaceous earth for a week or two, giving it a good shake every few days. I do it with all my soils now, force of habit. My sticky traps remain clean.

1 Like

Iā€™ll be doing that next time I use them for sure. Probably should of mentioned too, this soil came pretty moist so when I filled the pots I let the soil bake under the lights for a few days to dry it out. I did do some more reading on thrips, whiteflies and other pests of that nature and I think they are nymphs of thrips. I also couldnā€™t find any DE or silica sand locally and I donā€™t want to wait then this get out of hand soooo Iā€™m gonna make a h2o2 solution for the soil and do those soap sprays til I see no more. Will probably continue those soap sprays up until flower just for safe measures. Thanks you guys, Iā€™ll update in a few days if Iā€™ve eliminated them or not

2 Likes

Good question, Iā€™m not sure as they were tiny and I would only see them when theyā€™d make their way to the top soil. buut if I had to guess I would say 4-6 legs. They werenā€™t very fast but then again Iā€™m not too sure as I donā€™t have a microscope.

1 Like

I saw one similar also after flooding to :running_man:off, just two seconds, hide in the soil and never saw it again. Hope it is a beneficial :bug:, no harm till now ā€¦ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Maybe this will be of use:

Fungus Gnats extra info.pdf (22.8 KB)

Edit: never figured out why it said hemp russet mite at the top. Ignore that.

2 Likes

Well, I donā€™t know if this scopes are a good idea . I was checking my Frisian Duck which is close to harvest and saw something moving:

I donā€™t know if it is a spider-mite (looks like?) but have showered the whole plant. Do the eggs go through the drain or shall I repeat in few days to break the cycle? Going back to DWC soon, no more little bastards there ā€¦ :sunglasses:

3 Likes

LOLā€¦that would be Arnold Schwarznecker Miteā€¦the largest spider mite in the worldā€¦lol

Sorry stonedā€¦not a spider mite, 100ā€™s of mites could live on that thingā€¦

2 Likes