Can we get a collective donation for this?

I grew RKS Skunk bagseed in the mid 80’s when I was 15 or so… it made my whole neighborhood reek like sickly-sweet dead skunk during flowering… especially at night.

As much as I would like to grow something like that again, I also understand that the possibility of finding what I remember is practically an impossibility. Also, given the fact that that was back in 1984… that was 36 years ago this year… I’m afraid that the viability of any original seeds would have seriously degraded since then.

Same goes for seeds from 1988… 32 years ago… viability could be a real issue, and with a twenty dollar a piece price tag, it could be an expensive endeavor to say the least. Is there a guarantee on germination? Probably not.

I’m not saying it’s impossible to get seeds more than thirty years old to germinate, but there may be some degree of difficulty in doing so due to seed age.

Good luck to those that try to grow this special old school strain.

4 Likes

You might consider doing a server fund raiser. That seems to happen with some regularity here. Get seeds, make seeds, auction them, grow Overgrow.

3 Likes

I take that back sorry for the misinformation I’m looking back through my notes and Sam the skunkman was busted in 84’ and went to Amsterdam in 85’ with his skunk seeds so this one that Mel obtained was 3 yrs after, Sam landed in Amsterdam. None the less it’s an OLD original skunk from that era.

1 Like

Mel frank did an open pollination on them in 1996, and again in 2010 so at the least their gonna be 10-15 yrs old but Tom who is Mel’s partner on the site says will make it right if there’s any dissatisfaction. Go to strainly.com and you can see it for yourself. Mel Frank is the oldest cannabis legend still alive to date 77 yrs old.

3 Likes

In the spring of 1985, a heavy-set American landed at Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport with a box of seeds. His name was David Watson. Or was it Sam Selezny? Or was it – as he’d later come to be known – “Sam the Skunkman”?

It mattered not to his greeters, Michael Taylor and Wernard Bruining – the latter of whom owned Mellow Yellow, Amsterdam’s first coffeeshop – because these seeds were for strains of cannabis which would go on to supply Amsterdam with the dankest weed known to mankind, usurping the Moroccan hash that had previously held a monopoly over the Dutch capital.

It was an intriguing event for a number of reasons – one being that, a month earlier, Watson had been arrested in Santa Cruz, California for growing cannabis. Just how he had managed to then make his way over to Amsterdam has led to some dubbing Watson a spook, an undercover DEA spy sent to the Netherlands to infiltrate its burgeoning weed industry.

Another reason is that it represents the arrival in Europe of the strain with which Watson shares an alias – Skunk #1 – having been involved in the invention of its prototype in the late-1970s. A hybrid of Afghan Indica, Mexican Sativa and Colombian Gold Sativa, and named for its strong smell, Skunk #1 would go on to win the Cannabis Cup in 1988 and be sold to seed banks throughout Holland, becoming the world’s first commercial hybrid strain.

1 Like

are the seeds coming from @ToddMcC ?

1 Like

Yes they are have you or would you buy these seeds through HIM I have never dealt with him but Mel frank released them through him

Wait… is this him on OG??

https://www.strainly.Com

Does he own strainly.com?

He was on here briefly to announce his seed drop and share some I fo about his life journey. In all honesty it’s going to be the same skunk 1 seeds that float around most of Holland, the chance of finding anything skunk in there is slim. They were rebred my mel in 96 so there not the ones from 88. Might get lucky but that’s beyond my sticker price. Skunk is the unicorn of cannabis.

6 Likes

Maybe your right man. I though he would be a reliable source to get some real deal original skunk 1 seeds considering the legend himself and the picture compared to sssc 88’-89’ skUnk 1 pic looks identical. Oh well I might have to break down and get them anyways can’t win if you don’t play.

1 Like

Hard to say, I respect alot of what todd and mel have done not so much sam. The skunk looks legit I had the pre UK cheese pheno that was earthy and hashy but zero skunk smell or taste and it looked identical to his. I bred it to a sfv og and it came out skunky but with a major sour grape taste to it. I’ve tasted hints of skunk in some of the skunk varieties from seed companies that got there stock from sam so its possible to be found I’m sure. I’m just saying alot of skunk seeds have been grown and if anybody has ever found that stinky skunk spray pheno they have kept quite about it.

3 Likes

You should read up on the skunk threads here at overgrow tons of documentation of people trying to hunt it out with no luck.

3 Likes

Will do, I’m in it to win it. Lol

Can you post some links for me or point me over here. I’m familiar with nature farm skunk 18, duke diamond etc…

If you type skunk in the search bar all the diff ones will show up, did you grow the nature farm skunk ?

2 Likes

No but I wanted to. I missed the drop they were gone in 2 hours. I will do that thank you.

Whats a pack of soma lavender run? Any other soma genetics worth considering?

130 euros for 10 regs… his nycd is dank

2 Likes

Is this different than Sam the SkunkMans Ancestral Skunk??

I have some of those Ancestral Skunk seeds. Sold as 10% germination rate.

7 Likes