Chem D Discussion

Thanks for the inputs everyone! . The structure of this one and the others like it favor mazar-i-sharif bouquet which is on the NL side. (2+afghan x Indonesian) but I also had one mazar outlier out of ~50 Soulmate. Wasn’t sure if it is the Pinesoul OG or wookie.

In both NL and Soulmate this type was not of Interest, but the union made it the star. 80’s sweet fuming skunky gassy gunpowder…I think that a common ancestor on both sides locked and amplified. The bleed of red is definitely richer darker than NL.

Probably no way to know, but not likely the chem D helps.

It is like a looser version of the “nobby” OG look. Maybe Mazar is an Afghan that is contributing to Grass Valley OG. Every 50-100 seeds it seems like there is always a throwback/ghost of generations before… usually intact and more accurate than finding a parent in f2.

19 Likes

If the 4 smokes better that’s probably the one that should be bred with :thinking: can’t make better from worse. I assume you mean growing/plant wise tho?

3 Likes

What interests me more than chem 4, D or 91 is selecting back to the male that made them. Gas insists that Dog bud has been a staple grow out since at least the 80’s. Looking at the pictures of dog bud indica vS chem gives one an idea of what might have been on the other side of that. I haven’t run or smoked it myself, but asking him he said potent and earthy not an obvious contributor of chem pine fuel in the line.

3 Likes

Say what 10char

4 Likes

7 Likes

Chemdog was who Gas was going back and forth with on the dog bud as far as I know. He posted pictures of the dogbud over at his IG account if it’s still up. Looked a lot like this. Wide lobed leaflets, narrow near petioles, and more rounded then point at the end, but BLD for sure. I can’t speak for either of their experience. Just that at that time dog bud was in production and not hard to come by in those circles. There were a half dozen posts on his account over there.

5 Likes

I don’t do ig unfortunately…

That pic above is of Murphys Afghani from a book if memory serves me right. I’m surprised there are photos of dog bud of chemdog fame.

I know there is an Hawaiian dog/dog bud that’s been around a while but has nothing to do with the chems.

4 Likes

You are correct on the book. Good for you on IG. I dumped that fascist trash for a couple years, but on temp. Should get rid of it again.

What I am relaying is taking the claim at face value and he candidly claims talking it through with the man and comparing notes. Either way. Sent a request to share the pictures, but that the best I can do for now… Leaflets actually looked like floppy dog ears. Not sure if that’s where the name came from.

The best any can do is answer our questions with a grow. Most all the chems seem to be indica, at least compared to a ×5-x8 stretch 14w haze , but every once in awhile something super lanky comes up eluding to what else is in there.

I’m going to pop a few packs of Chem4 x Wookie. Pulling that D into line breeding and then snapping it back to a sibling should unlock more of what’s behind either.

2 Likes

Haha that’s a new one for me, I have heard of the smoking it made you roll on the ground like a dog but weed never had this effect on me :wink:

Even amongst the key players there are incongruencies in their stories/theories, so it may be best to let the plants talk.

Astute observation on the throwbacks revealing a plants pedigree. Also noticed the seemingly true to type ancestors pop up from time to time.

3 Likes

My theory is not well met. It even contradicts phylos and other more scientific methods. It’s only based off my own experiences. The most piercing profile of chemical winter I have ever encountered in cannabis of any line in 30 yrs was a cut of 5haze from Nevil’s original release. It punched the nose like doing a rail of coke on Everest and had to pull away it was so fuming and bright. Then all a bed of fir needles pulling forward into deep frankincense.

The incense notes are still all over the difference A5, C5 and Nevil haze makes to different degrees, but none of them have the industrial chem pine of the original. Selected way away from it. The Chem’s are all more depth of earthy to fruit of gassy fuels, but not as bright or loud. More of a bellow like a cow then a scream queen.

Anyway. Most don’t like that line of thinking. That cut was lost. Bought up every brand that might have it from '94 on and it was just gone. It sure is fun looking though.:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

i mean to be fair, phylos can’t identify a cut, her s1, and her cross as being related either :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Interesting…

“While collecting samples from various dispensaries, it was noted that strains of “Chemdawg” had various differ- ent spellings of the strain name, as well as numbers and/ or letters attached to the name. Without knowledge of the history of “Chemdawg”, the assumption was that these were local variations. These were acquired to include in the study to determine if and how these variants were re- lated. Upon investigation of possible origins of “Chem- dawg”, an interesting history was uncovered, especially in light of the results. Legend has it that someone named “Chemdog” (a person) grew the variations (“Chem Dog”, “Chem Dog D”, “Chem Dog 4”) from seeds he found in a single bag of Cannabis purchased at a Grateful Dead con- cert (Danko 2016). However, sampling suggests dispensar- ies use variations of the name, and more often the “Chemdawg” form of the name is used, albeit incorrectly (Danko 2016). The STRUCTURE analysis indicates only one “Chemdawg” individual has > 0.10 genetic divergence compared to the other six samples (Fig. 1, Additional file 3: Figure. Five of seven “Chemdawg” samples cluster in the PCoA (Fig. 2), and six of seven “Chemdawg” sam- ples are first order relatives (r-value > 0.50; Table 3, Fig. 3). The history of “Chem Dog” is currently unverifiable, but the analysis supports that these variations could be from seeds of the same plant. This illustrates how Cannabis strains may have come to market in a non-traditional manner. Genetic analyses can add scientific support to the stories behind vintage strains and possibly help clarify the history of specific strain”

Page 13 in here:

s42238-019-0001-1.pdf (1.6 MB)

Related:
https://gdb.supercann.net/index.php/genomes/genomecd91

7 Likes

I didnt say D was worse… personal preference.
and one cannot ignore what D does in hybrids…

3 Likes

This is a great share in answering these questions. I read the study through once, but will bookmark to read again as I probably missed some important details.

In general it seemed that the study was using methods to more accurately group and map so some of the conclusions about my particular curiosities are assumptions.

Often cannabis lines are not homogenized, we further tend to save the outliers and develop new recombinations that can radically change a line quickly. Then there is the question of mapping like phylos. The entries for many lines may be due to the novelty of a particular cultivar within a line rather than 20 or 100 entries including outliers which may influence the mapping or cause us to draw inaccurate conclusions.

This is about Chem D and I don’t want to get off topic, but I suppose it is relevant in that it is such a mystery.

3 Likes

@nube
@Justblazin

Yo sup guys. Y’all copped the chemD from FJ? I think I’ve heard nube say some of FJs cuts aren’t all that, maybe it was someone else? Anyway I’ve been wanting to pull the trigger on a few of his cuts and if the one nube posted earlier in the thread is from him in def copping. Justblazin, you’ve grown a bunch of his cuts right? I think I saw some of your posts on RIU

5 Likes

Also for anybody that knew him, my best friend and brother @shamus recently passed away a few months ago before we were able to move in together and make some moves :frowning:

4 Likes

TK GMO Fritter i will vouch for from FJ Those were the three of the 10 Iran I like

6 Likes

Yes, I grew one from FJ and one from another person who got the cut from somebody associated with Tom Hill. Both cuts were the same.

My point about these cuts isn’t about FJ, it’s about the cuts themselves - most of them aren’t very impressive by modern standards. You can pop packs of seeds from bodhi or doc d and maybe a couple other breeders and likely find stuff that’s at least as good as these cuts, likely better, in each pack. And what’s more - the crosses from those breeders using these old cuts actually created IMPROVED versions or more enjoyable hybrids than the original mom cuts themselves.

But that’s just my opinion. By all means, go grab the cuts yourself if you’re interested because, at the very least, it’ll give you a baseline understanding of what people are talking about when they throw these names around.

:peace_symbol:

21 Likes

Yes I grew a bunch of his stuff, I liked most of it, they might not be as frosty as some of the newer strains but I enjoyed them.

3 Likes

Some of the cuts, you aren’t gonna find the full effects from, in their seeds. You only get pieces.

To tack onto jet’s post, the 91 and chem4 are definitely worth copping. Idk about the D.

7 Likes