Co-op Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups

If you had a closet to veg its possible to run a perpetual grow. Veg hybrid and landrace in closet and graduate to tent. You can flower 2 sets of hybrids in the time required to flower one landrace sativa in a smart pot. Container size would be limited in the flower tent but you can run multiple hybrid strains for variety; get your SOG on :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I love the Killer landraceā€™s, and my first instinct is to grow each and every one of them before I try anything else. But then the point of preservation is to preserve all landraceā€™s, not just the excellent ones we are familiar with. Weaker landraceā€™s disappear because people want to grow something more potent. But they all contain their own unique gene pool with special traits found nowhere else. They contain the history of the people that developed them. They are a link to our past. Some of these landraceā€™s that maybe are not as good as others in the potency Department can still be excellent breeding stock, or may contain higher levels of a certain unknown cannabinoid than any other variety on Earth , and this could be great for the medical field. Some people appreciate mellower weed, too. Some of the unknown types will undoubtedly surprise by their potency, too, and you can be sure I will take some cuttings if Iā€™m the one growing them. In addition to that, if we are to make new hybrids and we want to be different or have different effects for these hybrids, the base ingredients need to be different. I think nearly all or all landraces hold stellar genetics waiting to be found, just much more common in some than others. Plants can be stellar in many ways. Cold/heat tolerance, pest and disease resistance, drought tolerance, yield, plant structure, flower structure, flavor, high type/ lenghth and of course other ways. With all the new pests popping up, and diseases yet to come, who knows what we might be letting slip away if we dont act quickly. Perhaps the only genepool on earth tolerant of the next plague, whatever it might be.

14 Likes

I dont disagree we have to preserve them or act now, instead later.

However i just wanted to say, IFi would try to preserve as much in the Freakers, then i would preserve s much of the good Stuff i could.
Right? So, if you agree there are Lines that are not really good, and i dont speak just of Potency, then they will consume Time and space, shure. Right.

Thats why i would try to find out whats good in the first Place.
My point wasnt to only preserve Killer Thai Weed. And reject other Thai Lines that simply are softer.
My point was that you find out wich thai Lines just dont hold The Waterā€¦
IF another Thailine provides something very different than the Killer Thai, then keep it.

But if you can pinpoint some Thailines that dont hold anything in OVERALL, or hold just that Frostresistance, but are otherwise OVERALL so fucking undesirable, then its probably a Step to big of an undertaking. I mean it can be done, but it will go on the cost of many people trying to preserve even the last trait of a Thai.
And what we need so much of a Thai my be potency, probably frost resistance too, but incoporating the overall shittiest Thai, just cause of Frostresistance is just much timeconsuming. And i would try to say no in some cases. And try find a frostresistent Thai with overall good Effects. At some point you may be better off saying no.

Fo shure in a perfect world you would preserve any single seed out there as is. Point, but thats pobably not realistic. And will consume just so much spaceā€¦

Do what you wish, its your Idea!
But i personally rejected 100s of thai-linesā€¦ even if i had unlimited space, i wouldnt use those, im shure. Again, DEFINE WHAT IS DESIRABLE, AND PRESERVE THAT. But define it, and question yourselve if every single line collected at origin is, and someone found cool for this o that reason cant be replaced by a Line wich is just superiorā€¦

3 Likes

This!! I am not a conspiracy theory guy, but I have seen what Big Pharma and Big Ag have done in the past. IMO the more landraces preserved and spread around, the better biodiversity BEFORE they both enter the market and fuck shit up!!

10 Likes

I agree 100%. I will try to seed any landrace strain I get and pass them around. These seeds should be in every growers vault. I love the new strains but letā€™s keep our roots alive and undiluted.

8 Likes

I hear what youā€™re saying but also I urge you to consider that ā€œone mans trash is another mans treasure.ā€ Desirability is super subjective- are we talking frost? Potency? Vigor/resistance? Effect? Iā€™ve smoked some Yunnan landrace bud before that looked like absolute crap but had one of my all time favorite effects despite clocking in at 7% thc- easy and comforting but stimulating, like an afternoon cup of tea. Thus, I see that as highly desirable and something Iā€™d want to hold on to. However, someone who likes a more potent yunnan landrace would likely deem that same herb undesirable.
IMO the purpose of preservation is to keep around the widest possible section of traits and even the most subtle distinctions within the gene pool, so everyone can find something that works well for them.

6 Likes

Yeah ok, if you like it.

I make one example. Assuming you cross Automatic to Thai, to get a faster Thai.
Most people feel, wow i now got a automatic THAI but in truth they have also a thai AUTO.
I mean with it, that for the desired Auto trait you introduce also 50 Percent shitty Traits. and your smoke will be far from a Thai.
It would take insane Masures to subsequently breed out headichy Autotraits, nealy unhumanā€¦

That means : if you find an overall shitty thai, but some small little thing you like about it. Then its efficient to reject it, and look if there is any thai around that actually has that Trait, but overall is better, then it probably is better.

Problem is to determine whats desirable. But its save to say, that it would be nearly unhuman to breed the shit out in a Future crossā€¦ Undooable.
Thats what i read from modern Breeders trying to incoporate heatresistency in Potatos from a Heatloveing line.

I have to stop talking, bit tired. peserve what YOU like. Peace

2 Likes

mamamia, i smoked birdseed, and i liked it, im open to all weed, and i had the sweetest soft landrace you dreamed ofā€¦ but this sweet soft landrace was only obviously soft, but in truth it gave me head swet.

Just look what i say, some Lines HAVE it ALL. Or atleast more.
The infact potent Head swet , high Dopamine Line was very soft and daytime unquestionable. That was the overall aperance, a soft weed.
You know, some things are common in every line. and blalalalala
Whatever, by

2 Likes

If thatā€™s your only reason, then you donā€™t have a reason. :grinning: We have a lot of 8-14 week hybrids on the list. Weā€™ve got several of Snowhighā€™s OG crosses, and a few of his AGC99 and Pure Kush x Uzbek crosses. I think there are some fast-flowering Afghans, a few Skunks, itā€™s pretty diverse. :slight_smile:

Trust me man, Iā€™m not in a position to grow out a long flowering strain ATM either. Iā€™ll be tapping the hybrid list myself.

12 Likes

@Guitarzan My problem is experience. Have always read Sativaā€™s are picky to keep happy. Just want to get better at reading a plant for deficiencies before I try!!

5 Likes

@Joker ā€¦They are tricky, because we are used to adding all sorts of things to make plants happy. With sativas that isnā€™t necessary and often the plants donā€™t want the treatment. So rather than learning how much the plants want for food, we have to learn how little they need. Often just some good fertile soil with some slow-release nutrients that have been cooked in long before the plant goes in. If you grow with liquid nutrients, I could see the concern. It would take some dialing in. Last summer I used around 50% garden soil and 50% super soil. Even that seemed to be too strong for some of the plants. Iā€™ll have to go back through the threads and find what The Sweet Spot was, but I think it was around a quarter or a third Super soil in the end. So I think 50% Fox Farm, 50% garden soil would be a good guess, because the super soil is stronger than Foxfarm. Once I had the mix down, every sativa liked it. Pulga, Malawi, Durban, Kullu, Moroccan, and Malanaā€¦ a pretty good range of genetics. The Durban was put in a slightly stronger mix for its last transplant, and it was a bit too much for it. My guess is that it would have enjoyed the mix the others had thru its whole cycle. Once you get the soil dialed in, Sativas grow themselves. Itā€™s about as easy as it getsā€¦ ā€¦Like @Guitarzan says though, thereā€™s a pretty good collection of snow High gear available, along with some heirlooms. Iā€™ve never had the pleasure of trying any Snowhigh gear myself, but Iā€™ve known for a long long time that he has a great reputation for excellent genetics. With him retiring, it will be up to people on sites like Overgrow to keep his genetics in the community.

9 Likes

Itā€™s been done before and is being done as we speak.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if thereā€™s any interest in such a thing, but being the stoner that I am, I often place seeds from my buds in random places to put them away later that day, only to forget about them and what they were. When I do that, they go into an ā€œunknownsā€ container, which now has a good amount of seeds in it. It might be fun for somebody to do a controlled or open pollination with these. Thereā€™s a great mix of genetics here and itā€™s sure to make some fire as a hybrid. Or if somebody is just looking for a wide range of mostly sativas to try for a head stash it could be fun too. There is a mix of everything from last summer. Afro Pips Malawi, Brazilian Seed Company Cabeza de negro, Khalifa genetics Beldia, cannabiogen Durban, Khalifa geneticsā€™ Kullu. Some of the seeds are hybrids of these genetics. Quite possibly there are some purple Malawi, and my own heirloom thrown in there as well. Flowering times would range from 10 to 16 weeks.

16 Likes

Absolutely. Im counting on it, and have unlimited faith. Have you had the pleasure of trying any of his stuff? I can remember when I first discovered flowering times on seedfinder,looking at the numbers for some of the snow high gear and thinking that people must be crazy to grow such things, LOL

4 Likes

An auto thai shouldnā€™t even be brought up here thought this was preservation runs.
Auto thais are to current and thereā€™s bunches around.

5 Likes

Have received lots of clones a few years back.
Did I care for them, not really I had better from seed.
But you know and I know plenty looking for them shortcuts.
Clones are ez pz to send out, just wouldnā€™t do clones put into flower ciz they stink more.

2 Likes

I dont know if @comacus is in on this or not but heā€™d be a good one to recruit for these projects.

3 Likes

Weā€™ve got our hands full just doing reproductions, but I hope others on overgrow will make some crazy hybrids with this stuff. Then again, if you have pollen from a male from a reproduction, and you happen to have a female of a different variety in the same room at the same time, itā€™s awfully hard not to dust a branchā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m a seed guy myself. @vernal has scared the crap out of me regarding clones. This latent hop virus sounds pretty nasty, and can even be passed down to seeds potentially in around 8% of the cases I think he said. But clones are the ones responsible for spreading this latest cannabis speed bump most of the time. Iā€™m sure it will be turning up in New York soon, as hops cultivation is gaining popularity here, and at the end of the 1800ā€™s was the major cash crop in the area. Apparently some plants show no symptoms but can infect others. Sounds like plant covid.
Comacus is working with us I think, but we wonā€™t know for sure until the end of today I think. Itā€™s the last day, to my knowledge at least, for signing up with the Freakers for this yearā€¦ next year we will do the same thing for the month of January . We would love to have you involved as wellšŸ˜ā€¦

5 Likes

auto thai, that post was about how a SINGLE trait in a Strain is not what thew whole Strain is.
And that the whole Strain , eg: shitty headichy high cannot be breed out without nearly unhuman amount of Work. That was what i ment. And i demonstrated it with an Auto Thai.

But i stop this topic: preserve whatever you like peopleā€¦

2 Likes