Co-op Strain Donations and Breeder Match Ups

Why not just add landraces to the normal preservation stuff is what im confused about if its about the expenses of the pack im down to throw in on stuff thats not current production stuff if its about the time and space to run stuff well thats always been the donating part …it just seems like the same thing that was already going on only now its a members only thing … I have no problem donating my time or resources for everyones benefit … Am i misunderstanding some part of this if so by all means correct me im not trying to be a negative nancy just seems like a rift is being created where there was no need for one did moms disappearance really create this much of a vaccum in the seed runs structure it has definitely gotten loser and less organized…again not trying to be negative just don’t want to see this thing get tore apart over silly shit

If the whole seed run structure system needs reevaluation is one thing but splitting it into two different things is silly i felt that way when the paid seed runs started the seed runs were for preservation guys not making a million seeds someone is still selling …last thing and ill get off my soapbox… These landraces are they in danger of disappearing or is the 3rd world farmer who has been working them for generations in danger of not being able to sell his seed the next year…someones sourcing them someone is putting skin in the game :v:

5 Likes

There will always be demand for landrace seeds from the country of origin. A quick look on Instagram will show you how quick the thousands of seeds the Indian landrace exchange collected in Afghanistan have disappeared. Bought up in just a couple days. I don’t know for sure looking at that pile but it looked like damn near a hundred thousand seeds to me. We are more of a last resort. Should something happen to the landrace in its home turf, we’re hoping for enough people with enough stock in the refrigerators or freezers to keep the landrace going. I already talked about all this before so I won’t get into it like I did before, earlier in this thread, but there were only a handful of landrace reproductions last year. We are planning for 25 to 40 reproductions this , though not all land races. Enough said. We are doing something right. People will get seeds as before

13 Likes

Sounds like its in no risk of going extinct other than in a bunch of american and European freezers :joy: i appreciate your response

3 Likes

More sources (fridges, freezers) holding vast landrace collections for reproduction and for sharing can’t be a bad thing. In the past I’ve had great difficulty sourcing any landrace and ended up buying WOS. If there was a greater availability I would have started growing more landraces years ago. I may be late to the party but fortunately I have found og. If it wasn’t for this project specifically I still wouldnt know any more than I did a few years ago and would have assumed my WOS collection was good. The freakers have gave me knowledge and the means to access a collection to preserve to work from, share and save for my children and region.

9 Likes

How many people cared about the elephants until they knew they were being wiped out? Until people were being made aware of what was wrong they had no desire to fix it. We are spreading landrace awareness. It’s up to the people we give the seeds to to grow them. I’ll be doing my part I know that much

9 Likes

The co-op is still doing its job as a tool that enables any of us to share our seeds with many other growers.

Motr’s disappearance hasn’t changed anything, the co-op was designed to be decentralized and it does not rely on any one member. People volunteer up to their comfort level, and that means that some members have stepped to volunteer a lot of time and dedicated effort. If members disappear, we will simply find more volunteers, and we can distribute the workload among as many volunteers as necessary.

did moms disappearance really create this much of a vaccum

Certainly we all miss MOTR. All of her co-op duties have been resumed by multiple volunteers. Nothing has changed except for the appearance.

but splitting it into two different things is silly

the co-op is not getting split. The freakers are a new and entirely separate group.

as for the purpose and benefit of having the freakers in the overgrow community as well,
they are getting work done which otherwise would not have happened.

The co-op only works with discontinued breeders packs, local heirlooms, and landrace genetics. Everything that the co-op works with has to be either discontinued, or an old building block line with no associated breeders or claims of authorship.

If you scroll through this thread, you will notice that there are a lot of breeders packs which have been offered for donation to the co-op, but no one ever volunteered to reproduce them. There are still plenty of lines available to the co-op.

The freakers are working with newly released landrace genetics which are still being sold by the breeders / collectors, and are not eligible for co-op seed runs. The freakers are not stepping on the toes of the co-op, or taking work or opportunities from the co-op.

They are going where the co-op can’t go, working with lines that are not yet eligible for the co-op, and lines that are difficult to cultivate with long flowering periods. They are keeping rare lines going until they are eligible for a co-op seed run.

Any line reproduced by the freakers that is eligible for co-op breeding will be available to co-op volunteers.

12 Likes

That’s part of the goal, and we’re glad to have you. It’s extremely hard to find land races, and also it’s expensive to buy them. 2 problems we’re attempting to remedy.

5 Likes

Amen to that brother. Thank you. I don’t find Extinction as funny as some other people apparently do. I find no humor in it whatsoever.

5 Likes

This was a heavy read! Polarizing in a way.

Teetering between a few ideals. Taking something special and trying to make it un-special? Or is it otherwise?

Some things are still tucked away from the internet

3 Likes

:pirate_flag::pirate_flag::pirate_flag:

It’s harder 2 decipher the business from the pure; the only real difference these days…

Nice thread!

Viva la pura

1 Like

I don’t know enough to say anything about extinction but I do know if wasn’t for this site and the overgrow the plant mentality that I would be no where near almost ready to buy a second tent. Let alone the resources to learn how to make seeds and to do so properly. as I plan to within next year to spread the love back. So in my opion co op,freaker’s or just another members spreading the love is alot cheapier on the wallet than say 60 a seed or even alot lot more. This mentality thus makes people like me that wouldn’t have the resources to do the same not only to be able to but also have a community of great people to share with!

7 Likes

The dalat heirloom or landrace( not sure) only exists because of a freezer. One freezer.

10 Likes

According to the internet

1 Like

I guess one would have to do some leg work and travel to the land and find out !

2 Likes

According to snow High. I’m sure there’s others, but we wouldn’t have found them. The oaxacan I am growing now is from the seventies, and was kept in the freezer. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of incredible varieties that would otherwise be gone were kept in a freezer since the 70s

7 Likes

Ah yes - the double headed eagle!

Much love for Snow and his work.

2 Likes

So taking these seed from snow - the plan is to have people receive them for free? Or lesser than value from him? I am confused. Who is getting what?

I am all for preservation - that’s what the title says

So is this some sort of “Pay to Play” Club or something??

1 Like