DIY Coin flip tech: how I made a more eco friendly

Well after some playing around with ideas and not wanting to buy materials I came with this solution. A wooden washer. What you do with it in entirely up to you :wink:

I’m going to try my best to make a tutorial on how I made mine and how you can too with some tools, a little patience and DIY ability.

I told @allotment I would try to make a tutorial so here we go :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Boys and girls get a cup of your favourite drink, put your favourite music on and let’s go.

Materials I used:

• plywood ideally the sandwich one (the fibre is in opposite directions making it a bit more robust) in this case it was a 10mm (what I had at hand) or else the brown ply or MDF
  • wood sandpaper 80 120 grit or abouts
  • wood glue or supaglue ( any strong glue should be used)
  • hollowing drill bit
  • stepped drill bit or a Forstner drill bit
  • ice-cream sticks
  • drill (cordless, drill, or drill press)
  • some stickers to decorate with your own art?

Steps:

1- I start by choosing a desired hollowing drill bit and cut a section of wood. You end up with a cilindre of wood.

2- I then use a stepped drill to achieve the desired inner diameter. You can use a Forstner bit here, if the ply or material used is only thick enough for one washer, you can drill to desired depth without going all the way through, this will leave a “backing”

3- while it is still attached to the stepped drill bit I use this to my advantage and use the sandpaper to get rid of some rough bits.

4- since it is a thick section of wood I use the drill/saw combo and cut of a smaller part, rendering me a washer.

5- sand it to make it nice and smooth

6- I then get some ice-cream sticks and glue to the “back”. This is optional but it will increase its resistance. I think if you use the brown type of ply it might be possible to just use stickers or sticky labels.
IMG_20210323_101357

You can always use this as part of a necklace? Or some art? A base for a mini dream catcher? A keyring?
Paint it, wax it , draw ! It’s yours to explore

Enjoy and have fun experimenting. It’s more rewarding than just going to the store and buying one.

PS: feel free to post your work, should anyone venture.

Hope this helps anyone

27 Likes

There’s something cool about the thought of that much effort for the washer. Considering the effort of making seeds or a cross making the washer for them just fits. I dig it :+1:

10 Likes

In Spain we’ve got a saying: “when the icon_twisted|nullxnull is bored he kills flies with his tail” frech|nullxnull JK, just some envy for your skills … beer3|nullxnull

10 Likes

I have had some extra time, that’s true. But I also had a lot of material I can recycle, so instead of going out and spending money on fuel, spending time driving to the shops waiting in lines to get into the shop, having to deal with the covid factor and then paying for the washers I think it pays off in the end. If you do quite a few in one go, better still.

5 Likes

I can give you a tip or two :wink: I really enjoy working with my mind and my hands.

3 Likes

@curiouscat very cool item fella, looks good.
I bet you could make a “cover” on that that swivels or slides overtop with a small screw… Cannabis Seed box that fits inside a coin flip :wink:

4 Likes

That looks like fun to try, design a new Seed Sender ©.
C’mon Retirement!

4 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks a lot @curiouscat for making the tutorial! I admire your skills and dedication.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy making things… hope that they can be useful.

1 Like

Pulling up a chair to follow and try to get some ideas.

1 Like

Not everyone has wood around; although they do probably have a cardboard box. I would guess 4 layers would work? Hell, you could use a piece of pipe as a punch then.

I like your idea! If you have some dowel of the same size you could just take slices, then bore the center.

3 Likes

Keep those ideas coming!

1 Like

Could even just use a little dowl pin or something as well. You may just be on to the new OG seed transport case. :grin: @curiouscat

2 Likes

I would think 2 pieces of cardboard together would hold plenty of beans safely.

1 Like

How’s about just zipping up a chunk of PVC…

1 Like

Shit… that defeats the eco-friendly idea… my bad

1 Like

No worries :smirk::+1: I guess if it was a repurposed bit of plastic.

I came.up with this because where I live people tend to throw away really good wood in the trash… and it goes through me. So I try and use it in many ways.

Since I didn’t want to go to the shops to get some and I have so many materials I can use :grin::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I might just have some more variations in the making!

2 Likes

Make your prototype and post it here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::man_scientist::atom_symbol:

3 Likes

Standard b/c flute cardboard is just under the ‘limit’ (a bit less than 1/4").
That’s the normal ‘heavy box’ double wall material.

Recycling those corrugated plastic signs (coroplast?) works as well for most seeds.

Cheers
G

4 Likes