Using a coin flip and a hose washer to mail seeds

figured throw this here other than just in my own thread where it will hide away.

For those with 3d Printers here’s what ive been using for myself, these have a radiused bottom lip just for ease of removal from my printer plate.

And you just use generic 25mm/1" stickers or tape to seal the seeds in on both sides

11 Likes

And there reusable!

1 Like

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing that @Mr.Sparkle . Now I just need to get a 3d printer. :rofl:
I’ll just make my bro print me some.

2 Likes

I’ve been playing with some different sized Hexaganol ones in the last day though i would have to get or make custom stickers for them or use round ones and cut the edges if not wanting to go down the vinyl plotter route, advantage though they pack the seeds a bit better and are easier to tape a couple together if your shipping more than one in a letter.

Though the whole reason for the round 1"/25mm ones was so that i could use easy to find cheap stickers which are typically only about $5 for 500 on ebay or aliexpress and there are enough places out there where you could get custom one printed if so desired.

Making a couple things better just to add complexity else where it seems… lol but they beat vials or containers like below as then you can just pay regular letter rates to ship them as they are under that 5mm thickness requirement for regular postal rates.

8 Likes

I like the hex shaped ones, they remind me of hex based board games from the 90s.

9 Likes

My take on this tech. If anyone is interested

3 Likes

Settlers of Catan is still a great game.

These are quite cool

1 Like

I wrap the seeds in a single square of toilet paper like burrito, and seal it with a very thin 3cm by 1cm strip of masking tape. I use a craft razor to score the entire roll of masking tape, so it undoes in two thinner spools.

I purchase plastic baggies from the dollar store; 72 bags for $1.00. They are resealable and waterproof. Wrapped seeds go in; the masking tape ring is labeled and the bag is labeled.

I tape the bags inside used DVD covers. I ask friends and family members to put their old DVD collections on a spindle; all the disks onto a stick. I’ve collected about 500 of them free, just by mentioning it casually that I am in search. I have also seen used DVDs at thrift stores and flea markets for as cheap as $0.50 each; ie. “10 for $5”.

The DVD case goes into a $0.50 bubble mailer. If shipped within Canada, the postage is 3 stamps or $3.50ish. If shipped internationally, I pay $15-18 for tracking.

The plastic baggies are 2 cents each, the tissue paper maybe 1-2 cents I haven’t looked into it, and the bubble mailer 50 cents. The one roll of masking tape has lasted me three years and was $5, and there’s still more than half left.

So packaging materials: pretty cheap and not too impactful. I’m not ordering any custom plastics or stickers, or shiny bags or anything delivered to my house or whatnot. Just stuff I can pick up at the dollar store when I’m in town. (Albeit from China.) The plastic in the bubble mailer is wasteful, and the plastic baggie is questionable. But at least resealable; an old dime bag can store five joints or some other seeds. I use these little bags multiple times, just crossing out the old name–or the sharpie wears thin and I can just wipe it away and write a new name. And the DVD cases won’t last forever. But they fit snugly into the bubble mailer, and have resulted in 0 incidents of crushing in hundreds of orders/trades/gifts.

And three postage stamps is alright for cost, a few bucks. Fits through mail slots. Usually how I send free seeds.

For sales though, I ask $10 US for shipping; about $12.50 CAD. A good fair price for shipping with tracking for the customer I think. It costs me $15 to $18 CAD per order to ship with tracking, depending on where it goes. New Zealand, Poland, UK, USA, all make it fine and have been similarly costed. Only sending a big box of clones to Hawaii was $50 ish.

I would use these washers and coin flips for envelopes to send seed as gift. Great tradition to share with us! I’ll pick some of this stuff up and having it as an option from time to time will reduce other shipping costs. It’ll be nice not to use full shipping materials for sending gifts; I will be inclined to send more I expect.

Thanks for sharing everyone. Cheers!

-Dr. Zinko

ps. That guy with the painstakingly hand-crafted artisan wooden washer! Hah!
“I tried to send seeds sustainably but I lost a finger by the sixth order.”

7 Likes

Amazon is selling packs of 10 hose washers for a buck a piece. I just received mine and they work great! They are the cheapest I found yet. Just punch in hose washers in there search bar and scroll down.

7 Likes

Hey man, this method is above all. You are 110 percent right! All in my cart, pressed go. Thanks for the fire info!

1 Like

I send seeds this way lol haven’t had any broken ones yet,crazy how it’s so busted up

Yessssss! Your obsession with me gives me strength! I feed on it! :poultry_leg: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Haha as a person who dabs a lot. I do have an obsession with you!

3 Likes

Hey, I’m finally getting around to ordering some flips.

Which size coin do you buy for? Quarter or Fifty Cent piece?

I’m guessing quarter since the washer is tight inside… peace

3 Likes

These are the ones I use:

3 Likes

Thanks, I think I want the cheapo fold over and staple or tape. I was just curious if the washers fit in a quarter flip or does it need to be bigger. I can dig some out here from somebody but been real busy and didn’t want to go looking. I have a few packs sent that way but may take a while to find them. Once I find one I can measure it myself. Maybe tonight.

1 Like

I use these hose washers with that size flip. they are very tight, but fit with the full surface of the adhesive stuck to the other side. im sure the non-adhesive would work well too, once you get the first staple in

2 Likes

Hope this helps @GMan

Forgot to mention it’s a 25mm flip and the washer is 25mm outside diameter.

8 Likes

Quarter Flip OR Small Dollar Coin Flips works perfectly with Garden Hose Washer. You can buy 100 ct packs on BOTH eBay and Amazon. SS/BW…mister :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

7 Likes