Colombian Gold mutant - center shoot REGROWS after severed off!

There’s something strange that I’ve never seen before. In fact I don’t think it’s biologically possible, which says something special about its genetics. I thought I FIMed one by accident, but I know I TOPPED the other 2 right below the shoot on stem. Off w their heads, well take a LOOK at this…

First the one I thought I FIMed instead of TOPPED

Look above the knots. I’m pointing at the new CENTER shoot and there’s another new shoot protruding from that once severed area

Now the 2nd

See the CENTER area w the deformed growing shoot ? I know that was SEVERED off!!!

Look at the center, between the brown. That thin stem SHOULD NOT be there. It’s NOT a lateral node. Those are below.

Now the 3rd. Again small deformed growing tip in the CENTER from the severed area that should have sealed off, and NO NEW CENTER shoot should be growing out of, but clearly you can see iT IS!!!

Could this mean 3 special plants that are breeding material ?! look closely, it’s regrown from the cut area! I don’t believe it’s biologically possible to regrow new tissue from a completely severed stem. It should have just sealed off. So if only one I wouldn’t be making this thinking yeah I FIM, but the other two I cleanly took the whole shoot off below it’s base. I’m blown away by what I’m seeing and all 3 are showing mutations and deformed leaves in spots. I think and I’m not sure, but a plant like this would be 1-100 to get normally. There’s something to these seeds I think. I can’t say individual plant, cause it’s ALL 3

7 Likes

Iam seeing more and more mutant with similar abilities. Thought it was just the genes, and but I think it’s the lights. Indoor lighting had to have a genetic impact eventually. How many millions of years did it grow without indoor manipulation? And we’ve done this in such a short period of time… Makes me worry.

Wow for realz ?! LED lighting is the cause of regeneration where it normally shouldn’t be ?

1 Like

I can’t say specifics because weve kinda recently been seeing this. But it’s the frequency is what’s troubling…were heading towards a divergence in the genes. Several different ones in fact.

3 Likes

I see really great vigor, make seeds, clone them.
See what happens. Evolution is nothing to be fearful about,
Looks like they’re improving.
It simply seems like a natural reaction to everyone topping their plants.
They’re getting the point, we want them to be tough and vigorous, it seems like we’re getting a desired response. A time for celebration, imo.
Thank you all for playing.

2 Likes

What you’re saying is not good for the viability of the gene pool

Take two clones. Grow one outside and one in, then compare the results over a few years at least.

2 Likes

No place safe to grow outdoors, at least from what Va legislation says. Perhaps I could arrange to send it to a member to do outdoors next year

I’m kinda w you on that. If not lighting, then it’s unique to the genetics. I’m just wondering about the potential already if it’s self splitting

1 Like

I have a similar plant I will test it. Well several now. It’s been a female trait. And those are what we’ve “tried” to grow indoor specifically, especially since professional growing books have materized…

2 Likes

You’re shitting me ?! So those are more than likely fems ? I knew it! None of these plants are showing that early male signs

2 Likes

So wait, the growing world may have a new way to determine sex without photoperiod flip

1 Like

We may be talking about more then one factor that could be the environmental cues to make this happen. Again indoor growing… Plants will change based on their environments sometime alot. I know its hard to duplicate tropical environments or other ones as well. DjShort was very interested in making sure he found the correct flowering times for his plants. He suggested more light then dark for equatorial varieties. Not following his lead and doing our own thing for so long has probably caused this. Like ok…time to throw these 12 inch tall females into 12/12 or even germinate them in 12/12. I know some have space requirements but dont breed these plants…please.

1 Like

Well I’m sexing the branches now, so In about 5 more days if what you’re saying is right should be all female. It’s going to lend credibility to your theory

2 Likes

Fascinating topic! Hope more folks join on this discussion :+1:

Well that theory is now shot…1B the middle plant just revealed themselves through maturity

I believe that pear shape is unmistakable…

1 Like

Ive seen things like this happen before. Iv even seen a seedling have everything above the cotledon leaves removed an it managed to push out a shoot from beside the one cotledon leaf. It may be caused by high levels of auxin or such in feeds an a reaction to high light levels. If you think about it, there are people taking a tiny piece of plant material put in a tube an with the hormones they are able to create a tiny new plant. Some could just be freaks tho.

Nice colombiam gold.
This plants loves the sun.
I hope you understand me.
I love this strain.
:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks, yeah I can see it does grow well under the Maxisisun 4000. Minimal stretching. Has also done well to training, twisting and being shaped into a bush. Even though almost polyploidal like to self spitting it’s shoots, I believe there’s potential to be used in a hybrid

1 Like

Exactly! Genetic engineering may or may not be a road to progression. I once had a conversation w a good breeder, and he was always concerned about high hybridization and dilution of gene pool, but is concern is small when compared to a deviation in genetic code w abnormal growth pattern, shape of leaves. I’m even seeing holes out of nowhere, and never saw these strange growth features back 20-24 years ago. In fact I never saw a hermie nor polypoid. Perhaps William Wonder Wonderbud was about the oddest I had back then