Colorado Sativas

The BangiHaze is throwing out pistils. :grinning:

20 Likes

update on the colorado sativa plants i’ve kept in my tent…

queen mother 1 has bushed out quite a bit. standing at 32-ish inches, the fimming as well as the re-veg has ensured lots of leaf growth. i wish she hadn’t re-vegged for so long, but such was the timing of my tent space.

i think she’s just starting to come out of re-veg and heading back into flower. you can still see her one and three-fingered leaves in her newer growth, and very few pistils as of yet. it’s a slight shame, as the queen mothers seem to be very fast flowering plants. but maybe this will give me more flower to work with.

now that i’ve finished collecting pollen from my nanan bouclou 1 male and i’ve chopped him, the 2x2 tent is freed up. so i’ve placed qm1 in that tent in order to free up space in my main tent.

she’s still on a 12/12 light cycle and i had to train a lot of her branches to get her to fit in the shorter tent.

on to the nanan bouclou 5 twins…

if you’ll remember, taco was the taller of the two twins. she’s definitely the most far along in terms of flowering, but she’s shorter than the others at only 28-ish inches tall. nice candelabra like branching structure aside from the training of the main cola.

also interestingly, i still notice a discoloration in many of taco’s leaves, even her new leaves. it’s not bug or pest infestation, but instead it seems to be a natural part of how taco expresses herself. she’s always had unusual coloration/variegation.

you know how they say that runts can surprise you. well it looks like the runt twin “shorty” seems to be standing proud and tall nowadays.

i did fim her later than taco, so maybe that gave her more of a chance to spurt in her early flowering stage.

nice, healthy coloration on her leaves. i would say her branching structure is very much like her twin taco.

i would normally track how many days these plants have been flowering for, but the nanan bouclou twins have generally been under 12/12 light since germination, while queen mother 1 went into flowering but back into re-veg and now into flowering again. so rather than track all that minutiae, i’m just gonna give you days since germination.

16 Likes

here’s the nanan bouclou 1 male i collected pollen from.

considering i had the nanan bouclou twins, i thought it was sort of serendipitous that the single male i got from my second grow was a nanan bouclou. it’s a good opportunity to get some more nanan bouclou seeds. and while it’s not a selective or open pollination, but just the single random male that i happened to get, it works for now until i can expand my operations one of these days.

i accidently broke my main branch while trying to train it. i’m starting to learn the type of pressure i need to apply in order to crush the branch but not break it. it’s a subtle difference, but it’s the difference between having to splint and bandage your branch (which can be a pain) or just leaving it to recover on its own. it’s more of a pinching action, rather than bending action. or maybe pinch and soft bend, instead of just straight up bending.

look at the pollen sac growth over the span of about a week. in the last photo on the right, i had gently and carefully cut off the outside branches after collecting the pollen from those branches, so that i could more easily reach the pollen sacs on the inside branches. you might notice how dusted the leaves are.

my process of pollen collection is pretty tedious, but i figure it maximizes the pollen i’m able to collect. most people would just shake their pollen over a piece of paper in order to collect it. but i feel since my males are relatively small and only in 1 gallon containers, i want to minimize the pollen that floats away in the air or falls onto the leaves or elsewhere.

so i will carefully go around my plant and gently pluck or cut off the pollen sacs as they open and mature. it’s a big pain in the ass and normally takes me an hour each day as i sit and gently rotate my plant and collect the open sacs. but i do feel like i get the most pollen this way.

in the picture above, you can see on the left i’ll leave the sacs on a piece of paper for about a day to dry out. i’ll then use my grinder to sift through small amounts of the dried sacs to separate the pollen, and then i’ll toss the empty sacs. i think it’s a pretty good process for small time pollen collection.

while working to pluck/clip the individual pollen sacs, i’ve noticed that some sacs come off much more easily than other sacks. if you pay close attention to them, you’ll notice that the more old and wrinkly looking ones you can very easily pluck off with tweezers and they’ll come off without shaking the branch or the plant too much. the newer, fresh pollen sacs though will be very resistant to be plucked off and will usually cause a lot of shaking and fallen pollen.

again, most people will probably just shake their pollen over a piece of paper to collect it. but i think this (laborious) process does net you more pollen in the long run.

here’s the pollen i collected from nanan bouclou 1. not a bad week’s worth of work. they’re stored in small glass containers that used to contain keif/hash that i bought from the dispensaries. i plan to pollinate the nanan bouclou twins, as well as a few branches on the queen mother 1. (why not, right?)

there was probably a day or two left of unopened pollen sacs which i didn’t collect. but i figured i had more than enough and i wanted to chop the male to free up the tent so i could move onto other things, like my third set of plants!

25 Likes

@highminwin very nice looking plants. I look forward to flower developments and smoke reports.

2 Likes

Great updates as usual! Love the macro shots. Taco is flowering up nicely, looking forward to that smoke report.

Your pollen collection process is the exact same that I use for smaller amounts. I do like to also put the pollen in a tupperware with a small dehumidifier that drops the RH to 19-20% for a couple days to really ensure it’s dried out before it goes into the fridge.

10 Likes

oh that’s a great idea. i hadn’t been planning on keeping the pollen for long, but this would be great and easy to implement for more successful long term storage. i’ll definitely look into this.

3 Likes

![image|375x500](upload://fb1VF3bozThCkALQAMF3QVh1VnP. jpeg)
The first one is nepaljam, male.
The next two are Malawi, also male.
The final is nanan bouclou in early flower.
Will be collecting pollen from the males

17 Likes

Welcome fellow grower! Don’t think you picture uploaded correctly. Can’t wait to see these pics. Hoping to grow mine out soon.

Only one pic for new users, so the nanan bouclou, the only female. Germination rates from cs are excellent, lots of males though

1 Like

Thank you , humble pie.

2 Likes

Here’s one malawi

14 Likes

Thanks for sharing those @Timelessroots !
Any thoughts/ anything interesting about the cultivation experience?

4 Likes

Nothing out of the ordinary, besides the woodchuck that lives under the shed ate a couple of my seedlings, bit the nanan in half when she was about a foot tall. Just the regular

5 Likes

Tell me about it. I germed 8 BangiHaze seeds, had 1 runt that didn’t make it past a week, 6 males and 1female. I’m not complaining though, as i am putting the pollen to good use.
Here’s the BangiHaze

17 Likes

Update on my Malawi x Zamaldelica from Colorado sativas.

Culled one male after taking a cutting. The females are smelling kinda piney/incensey/earthy, also something else I can’t quite put my finger on. Very stretchy plants. I’m really hoping they chill on the stretching for real.

16 Likes

Plz stop stretching :man_kneeling::pray::pray::pray:

10 Likes

Good luck with that! :rofl:

2 Likes

Has she slowed down her stretching yet? Maybe it’s just coincidence, but applying LST seems to help.

1 Like

Here’s my Bangi Haze. She’s filling out nicely and leaves are getting thinner every day. :grinning:

I applied a little bit of Subterfuge#1 pollen that’d been sitting in the freezer for the past couple of years. Looks like it’s still viable :grinning:

This is for my next abc project. :grinning:

15 Likes

@Timelessroots @highminwin @deeez99
Hey all y’all, You’re overdue for updates. Just sayin. :wink: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes