Colorado Sativas

I’ll try and get some new pics next week when I get a chance. Everything is starting to flower but not much weight to them just yet.

That Bangi is looking nice and already starting to fade it seems. Mine both ended up male but I did toss that pollen on a few other plants.

That Subterfuge combo sounds really interesting too. I’m actually growing out a couple “russian parsley” that I believe is originally from you that I scored through an auction here. I wish I had started them much earlier in the season as they seem slower to develop than most plants I have.

14 Likes

what’s up overgrow? thanks for the ping @PineTarBastard. sorry i’ve been mia, ever since i got into a.i. art generation a few weeks ago, my creativity has massively spiked and i’ve been devoting my time to working on some projects that have been collecting dust for far too long. but i’ve still been growing and my plants still be going, even if i’m not documenting my grow as carefully.

but here’s an update on my colorado sativas specimens…

shorty, the stronger half of the nanan bouclou 5 twins (or maybe she just got clipped at a more opportune time). she came back from being the runt of the twins to reaching above her sister now, standing at 34". i think my training and fimming schedule affected things, as i think i fimmed taco twice, whereas shorty only got fimmed once later on.

her structure is 3d candelabra with a half-ass touch of training. but even the half-ass training helped the colas be a little more uniform in height. she’s got long, three fingered leaves on more recent growth. i like how it looks like she’ll have a few nice, weighty colas.

because i’ve been so pre-occupied with my creative work, this second grow has received minimal attention. they get daily waterings, but i haven’t amended or fpj/ffj’d the plants very much at all. also, last week was ridiculously hot out in so.cal. i had turned my lights down a little, but i don’t think i really accounted for how hot and stuffy that tent can get. i was adding aloe powder to their waterings last week, but maybe you need to do that before your plants get in the shit.

taco, the other half of the nanan bouclou 5 twins. her structure is bent christmas tree due to my also half-ass training, otherwise she would be straight-up christmas tree. she has a few nice branches, but her main cola has a big, weighty chunk 'o nugs. it’ll be interesting to see how that top crown develops. hopefully i’ll be able to use it as a mace or a head thwacker.

she’s sitting at 28", so i suppose she’s the real shorty now. i still see slight signs of variegation in her leaves, but nothing major or concerning nowadays. she has the same thin, narrow three-fingered leaves as her sister, shorty.

for having minimal veg time and pretty much being (mostly) in 12/12 light their whole lives, i think their development is pretty nice. it looks like they’ll stay in a height range that is much more manageable for me, while delivering more than enough bud.

i think they should have another month or two to go?

queen mother 1. she’s been eating her leaves up and been very thirsty, although i have not been diligent in watering her well. she seems the hardest hit by the heat wave which came through, but i have been supplementing her feedings with some additional alfalfa and kelp.

regardless, she’s still growing strong and hanging in there with some beautiful bud development. i think her re-veg time really helped her growth. i know it says maybe 6-7 weeks flowering, but looking back on my notes in this thread, i noted a month ago that queen mother 1 seemed to be going back into flowering from re-veg, so maybe it’s only been 4-5 weeks? maybe 5-6… that seems more in line with the bud development she’s showing.

finally, the colorado sativas specimens that have been chillin’ with my san diego buddy. or sweatin’ it out more likely.

they all look like they could use a shot of nitrogen, but they’re hanging in there and doing their thing regardless. they’re like three siblings with stacked and reversed development. the viet black is tallest, but shows the least flowers. new caledonia 2 is in the middle. while queen mother 6 is the shortest, but shows the most flower development. i don’t have exact numbers for their heights, but i’m guessing the vb to be over 5’ tall, whereas the qm6 might be 3’ish-4’?

cindy 1 in the back is from fleur du mal stock from my first grow. i harvested her sister, cindy 2, a few weeks back. but it looks like cindy 1 has rooted beautifully and is gonna put out some nice, thick, chunky colas. i’m super excited for cindy 1 and hope the outdoor pests don’t decimate her. maybe 3-4 weeks for her?

i wonder if i should punt one of my nanan bouclou 5 twins to my san diego buddy. i’m not really doing anything different with their growing or feeding, so it might be more interesting to see differences between indoors/outdoors. i’m not sure though, as they’re decently far along in their flowering cycle by now.

22 Likes

Nice update my friend !

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. Your plants all look great. I’m very interested in the Nanan Bouclou. Since these are F2s, i’m curious as to how the individual plants will lean towards their PNG or Haitian parents. I’ll probably order some from CS in the near future.
Did any of your BangiHaze pollen end up on the Nanan Bouclou? I put some Bangi pollen on the Mulanje and the Oaxaca. I was impatient and put pollenated way too early and am not getting many seeds, so I’ll have to try again at some point.

4 Likes

Sorry, just seeing this. But yes, they’ve seemed to have slowed down a bit but they’re much taller now lol LST is usually my go-to but in such a confined space they’re in at the moment it’s not an option. I’ll update with a pic later but this grow has not been with issue. For some reason most of my fan leaves have gone brown and died slowly. I’ve been chasing the problem for a couple weeks and I’m still not absolutely sure what’s going on but I think it’s the nutes I’m using. I recently switched up in an effort to try something new, much to my dismay, I tried using ‘Mega Crop’ which is a powdered nute. It’s supposed to be easy to use but I don’t think I like it given the problems I’ve had. Switched back to Cyco and now awaiting the results. Out of the 3 plants started I ended up with 2 females and one male that was culled. I did take cuttings which most didn’t make it due to my own negligence :roll_eyes: but! The cutting from the male continued to develop in my bubble cloner, throwing out a bit of pollen. It pollinated a cutting beside it and I was able to collect a bit and pollinate a branch on one of the females and I now have a bunch of seeds growing :grin: I may have gotten lucky with timing the male just right (inadvertently) but with some practice this could be a good way to make seeds without worrying about a male spewing pollen over everything.

2 Likes

Update pic on the Malawi x Zamaldelica. These are 4 or 5 weeks in.

Not my best work I’ll admit but whatever, I’ve been doing pretty good for a few years tho so I guess my string of good luck has come to an end :sweat_smile:

Not all is lost however, I’m growing a few seeds on one branch of one of the girls. Gonna be several dozen seeds least so there’s my silver lining :grin:

Smells like that lemony piney floor cleaner stuff, can’t think of the name.

11 Likes

Aren’t the Nana’s all female because they’re S1? I’m getting some myself along with some Nigerian Sunshine S1. If you have enough pollen to spare I’d be happy to trade pollen from my own collection or some seeds for it.

1 Like

Colorado Sativa doesn’t use traditional nomenclature. His “s1” is just an open pollinated group of females. They’re either f1 or f2 by traditional names.
So the Nanan Bouclou are an f2 generation

7 Likes

Really? Interesting.

I guess scratch that request @highminwin

1 Like

@District_Flora Actually scratch that, the nanan bouclou is Colorado Sativa’s f1 cross of a Papa New Guinea sativa, and a Haitian Sativa…not f2

5 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures Why do you say that? I think you were correct the first time, and CS is selling an F2.

3 Likes

i’m still in my first year of growing, so my understanding of f1, s1, etc is not good. but i do have that nanan bouclou pollen if you want some. @PineTarBastard said he hit some of his plants up with some pollen i sent out to him and it took well.

1 Like

On the CS website he says:

• NANAN BOUCLOU S1

Genetics: Cape Tribulation Sativa (Papua New Guinea Gold) x Haitian Sativa (Southern Star Seeds)*

Which I thought indicated that he used the two strains to “recreate” Nanan Bouclou, but now I think you’re correct that this is an f2.
It’s confusing because for some other f2 strains he lists just the strain, whereas on this one he lists the parents as though he did the cross.
Honestly, I think he’s using legit genetics, but to me it’s a point against Colorado Sativas that he doesn’t label and describe them in a consistent and standardized way.
Like “S1” means something very specific, and he’s just like “Nah, when I say green, I mean blue, even though there is a fairly universal understanding of what green and blue mean.”

8 Likes

@HeadyBearAdventures Yeah, i hear ya. He does make his own crosses as well as makes F2s of other people’s crosses, and so it can get confusing.

6 Likes

I think the motivation there is to not have a banner that says “I’m f2ing stuff!” :man_shrugging:
Selling F2s being a moral gray area for lots of folk…

6 Likes

It was definitely confusing to me at first but I have noticed that for his personal crosses there is generally two excerpts included, one for each the mother and father. It’s still bonkers to me on the “S1” usage but @potpotpot 's comment makes the most sense.

Certainly ethically questionable about some of the offerings but it’s a goldmine for other stuff that’s no longer available and not widely shared which is what really attracted me.

6 Likes

Nanan Bouclou is and ever was made out of two strains. Its not a landrace, and never was.
its Haitian x Papua Neuguinea.

Colorado Saivas just reproduced it. Nothing addad (atleast nothing in the description indicates that).

I remeber when it was relased and people talked about it. Some say its pretty trippy

5 Likes

No worries. Funny thing is, I looked for Haitian Sativas to get a clue for what it might be, and couldn’t find anything coming from Haiti. Be that as it may, every write up on it says it’s effects are extreme. Of course, the F2s will be hit or miss depending which way it leans. Regardless, i look forward to trying it out.

6 Likes

I harvest a bunch of the Bangi Haze on Tuesday. Here she is before the chop.

Here’s what’s left

I’ll probably take the rest at the end of the month.

13 Likes

Really curious to know how the new caledonia is coming along?
Thanks for posting.

2 Likes