Curing fan leaves and wrapping with them

Who’s got the info, technique, ideas, experience, etc?

1 Like

I’ve been playing with this.
Have a nice cigar mold to work with as well.
I’ve pressed them in a book to dry, but they get too crisp to wrap so now I’m trying to figure how to rehydrate a little. Also green leaves will be harsh due to the chlorophyll etc. So I try to take leaves that have faded.
I tried leaving green leaves in the sun to fade but it hasn’t worked.

My plan is to lightly steam the leaves before I wrap the cigar. And of course using shatter/rosin as a glue. Was hoping to have it figured out and done by new years, but my extractor guy is m.i.a. and I don’t trust buying concentrate locally. Last I saw was the oddest color orange.

2 Likes

I have some distillate I would be willing to donate in trade for some tubes. I wonder if boveda packs and a humidor would help the process? @Dewb

Also, shouldn’t a proper gar not need glue?

Have never considered it. Are the leaves are easiest to work with when green? Can you roll dried bud inside a fresh candy leaf and use the candy to stick it all together?

1 Like

I think cutting the leaves properly, similarly to tobacco leaves will get rid of a lot of chlorophyll and make a smoother smoke. In my head it would also be best to cure the leaves, wrap into a proper tube, and then pack with fresh nuggets.

I’m thinking proper cigars. Boutique style. More than just sticking fresh leaves together with oil.

1 Like

When you get there, be sure to make a thread from it.

You know it will grab some attention here.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I didn’t keep any fan leaves of the last trim and have a hiccup between cycles. Coming soon…

1 Like

I was going off of what I’ve seen online. You know the guys tying the buds to sticks and wrapping them. Except I have a female mold to shape mine. And I’ve seen others but they all seem to use an oil as a glue.
Also I’m not sure how else to get the leaves to stick.
Pressing them to dry is the only way I’ve found to keep them from curling up and being useless. I guess you could wrap in fresh leaves and then dry them… idk…
Been trying to figure out the best way to go about this.
Guess I’ll just go for it and post My process/failures here…

4 Likes

@Dewb I’m drawing from cigars as an inspiration. There’s an air drying, and then a fermentation process involved, and then aging after that. I believe this would make the leaves more pliable and way way smoother to smoke. I think most good cigars are not rolled using glue

I assume you would only want to dry the leaves to something like 65-70% rh then wrap/roll no?

I donno im just thinking a tiny bit more moisture than cured buds which are around 60-62%rh

1 Like

How dry is the tobacco leaves they use?

I believe typically tobacco’s prime is 70% at 70°. But after dried there’s a fermentation process that’s like 120° at 75% rh. It’s the fermentation process that gets rid of chlorophyll and other undesirables

4 Likes

Yeah I see that point, and yeah tobacco cigars dont use glue but tobacco cigars are a bunch of leaves rolled up, not buds or crumbled bud. Larger leaf as well. I say give it a try though. Worst that can happen is we learn something. It be cool to compare end results of our different methods.

2 Likes

The process I’m thinking would involve more of a mold in the “male” sense. A wooden dowel shaped as a cigar that the leaves could be wrapped around so the leaves can meld together forming a tube. Then stuff with the good stuff after all is said and done?

2 Likes

There’s a few stages to curing tobacco that i haven’t seen done with canna cigars, most importantly yellowing. Before the leaves are fully dry, they are warmed and fermented like the Malawi Cob Cures, till they look like fresh collard greens that have been in the fridge way too long.

@Enstromentals beat me to it. Lol

3 Likes

F’ed up thing is I did a report on tobacco farming in like grade 5 but fml if I remember that like 20yrs later

OK I see where you’re going with it now. More like a pre rolled cone right?
I bet the guy that made my molds could make a male, or hell, with the right size dowel and a dremel or sander it wouldn’t take long…

I would be interested in one. I wonder if the type of wood matters…