Curing fan leaves and wrapping with them

Building a wet-bulb / dry-bulb temp controlled box would increase success rates, without them what are you all thinking would be the best way to process the leaves?

1 Like

At this point Iā€™m at a loss. Idk anything about tobacco curing. I think the canna cigar I see with green wrap are going to be a harsh hot smoke.
Like I said ealier I was going to let the leaves fade on plant and dry to a certain point, wrap and use oil to stick. I may just try it this way anyway.

@Dewb I do believe (Doobie leaf?) That way will, indeed, be a very harsh hot smoke.

@Worcestershire_Farms I believe a hot box of some sort, maybe using an incandescent bulb as a heat source would work. Iā€™m not to sure on how Iā€™d regulate the humidity though.

1 Like

I would think you would want a hard wood and nothing soft like cedar or pine. Think most dowels are hard wood.
What shape would you want?
Like churchill, corona etc
Or like a swisher perfecto, cigarillo etc?

1 Like

Eventually, a lot of shapes and sizes. I donā€™t know where would be a good starting point. Probably 1-2 grams-ish. Maybe short and stubby more so than long and skinny like a cigarillo.

1 Like

I think your original plan is on the right track, a little warmth, humidity, and time, and the enzymes should produce a leaf that is more akin to actual cigars than the green monsters we see all over the place.

Iā€™d think hps or sun grown would produce the best options as they tend to have bigger leaves

Those Boveeda packs might help!

Iā€™ve thought about the boveda for the aging process after the fermentation, but I donā€™t know how well the boveda would do under higher heat. Iā€™m thinking more along the lines of moist paper towels and frequent misting.

I thought the point was to cure the cannabis, use fresh leaves to wrap, and then cure the cannagar for an extended period (six weeks miinimum maybe?) to rid the harshness.

1 Like

@ryasco, I believe without a proper ferment youā€™re still going to have a pretty harsh and hot smoke. Iā€™ve seen people do what youā€™re speaking of, but I think it can be done better.

2 Likes

I also wonder if broad leaf varieties have different nuances to sativa leaves etc too

A petite corona would be easy to make.
Just about 1/2 inch in diameter and about 4 inches long.
A male mold would be easy. 1/2" dowel and slightly round one end and there you have itā€¦

Iā€™ve done it and am still going to try some more so iā€™ll be watching eagerly to see how yours turn out. Mine werenā€™t too harsh but could be improved upon for sure. :grin:

2 Likes

@ryasco since flowers and leaves are so drastically different I would image it could be beneficial to dry and cure completely separately. Plus (not to be redundant) I think the real important part here is the fermentation of the leaves which would really smooth things out immensely when compared to just a dried fresh leaf. Iā€™m months out from having fresh fan leaves though unfortunately.

1 Like

Donā€™t laugh too much i am getting better. This is the first one i ever did. I have only made 3. Ha! Ha!

5 Likes

Iā€™m not laughing. It takes failures to figure out success. I think that the fermentation would make the leaves easier to work with and now pliable too. Plus when using a dowel it would offer a more uniform and solid structure to form the leaves around.

2 Likes

I have wanted to do this for a very long time. Curing the leaf is the main problem. Also they are thin compared to tobacco.

First a broad leafed plant with very thick leafs needs to be found. Doesnā€™t matter if itā€™s hemp or some killer. Itā€™s what will be stuffed inside that counts.

Next curing them. They stack and press tobacco leafs during the curing proses. I think that would be doable with the right type of leaf.

So any suggestion on a broad leaf plant that has really thick leafs would be a good start. Iā€™ve only grown hybreeds but would think a pure or close to pure indica plant would be the first place to look.

My two Cā€™s on this.

3 Likes

Go Indica! :evergreen_tree:

Cigars are wrapped twice. Once to hold the filler, then the wrapper which makes it pretty and lets you put a tip on it. I havenā€™t tried that yet, but am going to.

1 Like

@stain thatā€™s all in line with what Iā€™m thinking, only I could imagine it being done with any type of leaf, just that a broad leaf would make it a little easier.

1 Like