Day length and the start of Flowering

Excellent article! :+1:

Thanx for posting that.

Cheers
G

1 Like

When I say my fastest one had pistols on july3, I mean a small amount. Not q tip tops or anything. There was enough pistols that I could see she had ideas tho. I found a few older pictures that maybe show the timing better.
7/27

8/19

Got a few weeks yet probably. I’m not going to let her go late because these fast ones had big calyxes at the base of the buds that were older than the main bud, and she stacked them in there. I don’t want to let those calyxes get old and start bud rot. Kinda wish I had picked them off. Also, I’m ready for fresh smoke.
I wish I could grow autos that big. They had been vegged a while inside. They were regular seed, so I planted a bunch and let the males and non chosen females run out in small containers inside. The two best indoor sisters revegged without issue at the end. I made seeds with the sisters on the fly, and two backcrosses to the mom. I mixed most of the males pollen on one little mom copy(wedding crasher) and the sisters, and the fastest male on the other mom copy.

8 Likes

Beldia is a Moroccan landrace strain from Chefchaouen, located in NW Morocco, that has been selectively bred for generations.

The people who’ve been growing this landrace know the strain in every aspect of its growth, on through its flowering cycle, because it’s the only strain they grow. However, finding the information you are seeking may be a rather difficult task, concerning this variety.

The only way a breeder can give this type of information accurately is if they have worked their strain for a few generations, or created an inbred strain (F8 or higher) with it.

If this were the case, you would get the answers you were looking for on latitude and light requirements, as well as, flowering start times. This should also include number of common phenotypes and their descriptions.

This is information some old school cannabis breeders offer to their customers. Dynasty Genetics comes to mind.

Most cannabis breeders make a cross (F1), but don’t work their strain, so they don’t have any answers. They can’t answer many direct questions on the strains they offer, only vague statements.

No one want to be accused of giving bad grow information, so vague it is!

Generally, landrace strains and highland strains start flowering earlier so they will finish in time in their traditional locations. Many of these strains will start flowering when they get 15 hours of sunlight, or less. The abundance of red light and far red light in the late summer/early fall will help with quick ripening and may lessen flowering times.

I’ve grown a couple different Moroccan landraces in the past, but it’s been more than twenty years ago.

4 Likes

Yeah all I was really saying is anything I’ve ever seen that will flower at 15 hours has rudaralis genes and will flower longer than 15 too. The stuff just has too many strikes against it namely elite clones of it can not be kept for any length of time removing all advantageous selection methods from consideration. All you’re left with is very parochial breeding methods and a steep uphill clime out of the unfavorable profile ditch.

1 Like

Tuck had included critical photoperiod required with a number of his offerings. Most of it was bs and without flowering duration fairly useless too.

I’m sure though that you guys are gunna rock the world with some uber early head rippers that you can grow from seed en masse. You are not delusional from shooting fish in a barrel in tim buck too or anything. Best of luck, big love - California :joy:

Are you growing for indoor obviously so makes wonder what your line of thought is? I don’t know what the outdoor value would be but I am thinking you must have some thoughts. @randomhumanoid

Thanks Gpaw! They come up with a simple protocol for speed breeding. I’m not sure the 2 Weeks in vegetation are long enough for all cannabis cultivars.

I had first signs of pistils August 10th for Dream Queen (HSC) and Green Poison (Sweet Seeds). I guess flowering got triggered in the first week of August around 15h of daylight. The Dream Queen is said to have 45 days of flowering and the Green Poison 50 days. I hope to harvest mid September.

Khalifagenetics call their strain an IBL and as I said they are very specific regarding the start of flowering below 15h:45min. I’m not sure it’s necessary to go to F8 to speak of an IBL.

Ed Rosenthal claims:

But maybe good Buds need UV and Red light as much they can get during ripening.

2 Likes

I had no idea they would be this fast. I mostly chose to grow these seeds because the mom is my favorite plant(shes out there too), and to at the same time get a backcross done. I am into mutants too, and like novel things. So in a way, this was a pleasant surprise, and in some ways not so much. Maybe it would be useful for canadians or something? I need fast plants in michigan, but that’s ridiculous. I’ll think about it and see how harvest goes, and decide later how much time to put into this.

2 Likes

If you have a very vigorous plant and wanted to grow it longer say to get more size then you could delay it or reverse the flowering and increase bud count when you let it go back into flower which would be one option. Yes mutation can be a game changer especially if you want to use free energy to increase your plants potential. I do this with the eight week types here and they seem to grow much larger with the extended growing period which you can control till you are ready to flower.

You mean delaying flowering with a nighttime light? I’d like to make plants that just finish around october or a lil earlier. But I’m sure I’ll do something with these.

2 Likes

Yes hitting them at say midnight for half an hr works and you decide your date to begin flowering.

I don’t see any reason why the magical number should be below 15h. My understanding is that crossing a photo periodic plant with an auto does not make the Cross an Auto because its a recessive trait. Atlasseed has some Photo-Auto-Crosses they call Semi-Fullterm (fast finishers) and I would guess you could keep a Mother of them. Not sure at what latitude you at but at 50° North Autos become an Option and they give you the possibility to have multiple outdoor harvests around the year.

Thanks for the confidence vote.

If you look at how many people are living between 40° and 50° (China, Russia, Europe, Northern America and there are some that live in the Southern Hemisphere at the same latitude) I would guess over a Billion people have potential use for it.
To be honest I don’t see any advantage in having flowering triggered at Mid August or Later. If you want a longer vegetation why not just sow early.

At higher latitudes I don’t see much use for this method. Light intensity mid september is getting so weak that the plant will produce more biomass than flower the more red the spectrum gets.

Well I guess not everyone wants to grow dry resin hash but are looking at other types. You make a good point in that you have to adapt to different environments but with something that finishes or starts flowering super early because it needs longer light periods makes it not practical in the lower 40’s or 30”s without some assistance. So yes you have the ability to grow multiple plants some of us have different limitations. Seems like an indoor dispensary issue but I imagine Alaska could have a look at it. Not sure about Vancouver Island maybe? Lots of ifs and buts candy and nuts and who has that merry Christmas? What are we chasing in the market or trying accomplish? Quality vs Quantity can we do it cheaply and use or maximize our readily available resources. Modern problems requiring modern solutions?

I wonder if a bigger plant produces larger trichomes? Can a plant that’s twice as big be the same in that respect and/or do we have limits on the number of plants where we can grow? Maybe a longer growing season favors a slower growing homozygous type that takes advantage of this by growing higher quality resin and if a person can slowly pick types of higher quality that adapt to the new environment then is that shift a positive and checks more boxes? The Romans when growing for wine had a lot of low quality wines and decided to grow higher quality thus this lowered the quantity as a result. I guess capitalism is a natural consequence of what people choose? People are slowly be educated and their palates will dictate the direction. When Jimmy Carter allowed home brewers to get licenses the monopolies were broken and the little Mom and Pop shops sprung up. This is coming and the truly talented will rise to the top. Not everyone will want to drink the lagers but want to try the ales and stouts.

Here are some Pictures of Plants growing at 50° North (Wine growing region):

The first two pictures are EEP by Helvetic Seeds a cross between (Erdbeerli x Erdbeerli) and Purpurea 09, flowering time is listed with 48 days. It germinated March 12th in a tent and started flowering in mid April (there was another female and one male that also went in to flower). They had only around 16 hours of light and where to long in small pots I guess that what triggered the Flowering. The Plant in the picture was put outside for revegetation and did went back in vegetation. I’m not sure when it started to flower again but I would call the flowering advanced I guess it got triggered in mid to late July (somewhere around 15 hours of daylight).

The next two pictures are from a Texada Timewarp (BC Bud Depot), flowering seems in an early stage:

I was hoping for a harvest mid September but I’m skeptical.

The next two pictures are from a Dream Queen (HSC) with a listed flowering time of 45 days.

With only 45 days of flowering they might make it in mid September.

6 Likes

They have grapes here too and some good weed seems to be grown in that area. Miss this lifestyle love that mentality!

2 Likes

I was just listening to a podcast with Notsodog and he was talking about a gigantic overproduction in the Wine market. Farmers in California are tearing down entire vineyards and searching for other crop.

2 Likes

July 15 at Courtenay, British Columbia (Canada) on July 15 is 15:55 day length when you suspect flowering was initiated and on May 26 is 15:55 space between the two dates is 50 days. 50 days from July 15 would be Sept 3 so why not. I imagine this is what you were shooting for so if this is somewhat accurate given that variability occurs with every individual because of segregation this seems reasonable. @JohnnyAce if that was what you were shooting for :thinking:. Not sure if this was a loaded question :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

DJ touched on this I found this and wonder about it?

AI Generated so

Yes, the Daily Light Integral (DLI) can change with altitude, even if the latitude remains constant. DLI is a measure of the total amount of photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) received over a day, typically expressed in moles of photons per square meter per day (mol/m²/day).

Here are a few factors through which altitude affects DLI:

1. Atmospheric Thickness: At higher altitudes, the atmosphere is thinner, which can result in less scattering and absorption of sunlight. This increased clarity of the atmosphere at higher elevations can lead to more direct sunlight reaching the surface, thereby potentially increasing DLI.

2. Air Mass: As altitude increases, the air mass above a location is reduced, meaning there is less atmosphere for sunlight to pass through. This can enhance the intensity of solar radiation at higher altitudes.

3. Cloud Cover and Weather Patterns: While altitude generally leads to clearer skies, local weather patterns can influence cloud cover and precipitation, which may also affect DLI. Some high-altitude areas can still experience significant cloud cover, which could decrease DLI.

4. Temperature: While not a direct factor affecting DLI, temperature can influence plant growth and metabolism. The effects of altitude on temperature might indirectly affect how plants utilize the available light.

In summary, while latitude primarily affects seasonal sunlight patterns and day length, altitude can influence the amount and intensity of light that reaches a surface, which can alter the DLI measurements.

1 Like

Yeah something like that. The EEP has two Phenos and I guess the one in the picture is the indica and not the sativa pheno. If I like the Effect I will definitely make seeds (maybe crosses). I would love to grow something with 10 or more weeks of flowering but I don’t think they will finish especially when flowering is initiated early to mid august.

Probably all true. I’m living in Germany at low altitude but we have a unique micro climate and I’m trying to convince myself that this is beneficial for growing cannabis. This is what AI says about the uniqueness of our micro climate:

The microclimate of Rheinhessen, Germany’s largest wine-growing region, is particularly favorable for viticulture due to several unique factors:

1. Sheltered Location: Rheinhessen is bordered by the Rhine River to the east, which acts as a moderating influence on the climate. The region is also protected by the Taunus, Hunsrück, and Odenwald mountains, creating a rain shadow effect. This helps in keeping the area relatively warm and dry.
  2. Mild Temperatures: The climate in Rheinhessen is milder compared to other parts of Germany, which is essential for ripening grapes. This area experiences warmer temperatures, especially in the summer, which promotes the development of sugars in grapes, crucial for producing high-quality wine.
  3. Long Growing Season: The combination of warm temperatures and a mild winter allows for a long growing season. This extended period enables the grapes to develop complex flavors and achieve full ripeness, which is essential for producing both red and white wines.
  4. Diverse Soils: Rheinhessen has a wide variety of soil types, including loess, limestone, clay, and sandstone. These different soils contribute to the diversity of wine styles in the region, as each type of soil imparts distinct characteristics to the grapes grown there.
  5. Sunlight: The region benefits from a high number of sunshine hours compared to other parts of Germany. This abundant sunlight is critical for photosynthesis and contributes to the ripening of grapes, making the region particularly well-suited for growing Riesling and other white grape varieties.
  6. Air Circulation: The interplay between the river valleys and the surrounding hills creates good air circulation, which helps prevent frost and reduces the risk of vine diseases. This microclimatic feature further enhances the quality of the grapes.
1 Like