Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Just below the reply tab and to the left you can select how you want to view the thread ie watching following etc .

1 Like

Dang this might be my new grinder when I can afford it, looks like the nicest 2-piece under $100 I’ve seen:

3 Likes

I like the 2-piece types the 4-piece design I’ve been finding pretty annoying (in general, not that brand). Thanks for the link!

Looks nice :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve got my eye on a Flower Mill for my next grinder… haven’t figured out which version yet

Edit: customers say the standard perforated insert isn’t the best in terms of grind (mill) size, so probably the premium to give some extra options. 10% off for new customers, so that would bring it down to 89 bucks or so

7 Likes

Hey just poppin in to ask you a lil q. You mentioned making some jadam/knf style inputs this year. Are you doing the massive batches recommended in the jadam book? Or will you be tempering things to sizes you use. I ask because there are a few jadam inputs I’ve thought about but haven’t committed to because of concerns of scaling down… things dont always scale perfectly - just curious what you’re planning if you’re that far.

And just to contribute… I have been using a 2 piece Santa cruz since 2012 :metal:t2: I think they may have gone downhill since then but I haven’t shopped grinders. Consider me peeping

2 Likes

Naw absolutely not I’m making small amounts. Here’s the recipes I’ve got to hand:

http://opensalts.wikidot.com/unconventional-farmer

http://opensalts.wikidot.com/diy-how-to-make-mycorrhizal-fungi-innoculant

9 Likes

I’m out of likes but I keep trying. Thanks for these links. And for answering me quickly :metal:t2: you rock

3 Likes

Coming soon to a mailbox near you, gonna run another giveaway next week:

24 Likes

oh hell yes. Good call my man.

6 Likes

I’m never buying cal-mag again! Between this and clamshells smashed up in my soil I’m all set for basically free! Been using that calcium acetate since I made it, plants love it, mixes in just fine with Epsom and Jack’s with no precipitation, so I imagine it would run fine through microdrippers. It’s a game changer realizing it’s that simple to make a reliable concentration DIY that’s ready to use

16 Likes

I’m really excited. Cap mag is my most used stuff

4 Likes

I gotta give that a try when I make it through this Roots Organic bottle I have. I wonder since it has vinegar you think you could use it as a ph down in conjunction with the boots in calcium? Or does the fermentation process make the vinegar more alkaline?

3 Likes

I dunno! I haven’t checked the PH but that’s a good question

2 Likes

I don’t use it either. I do foliar feedings using Epsom salts and find that the best way to deliver magnesium and I’ve never had a Calcium deficiency.

5 Likes

Pure calcium acetate monohydrate solution has a PKa of 0.7, which I understand to mean that makes it a very weak acid, so maybe but probably not very strong. You could just add more white vinegar for PH down. But it’s not a fermentation, we’re using the acids in the vinegar to bind to the calcium 2:1 to make calcium salts of acetic acid. It’s a neutralization reaction that produces calcium salt, water, and carbon dioxide.

You could just use water and pure powdered acetic acid, no vinegar involved. White vinegar is just a handy source of premixed solution at a guaranteed acidity so we can half that and know the calcium % of the final solution once the vinegar exhausts itself and the extra eggshells are removed. I used 6% cleaning vinegar so it’s a 3% calcium acetate solution.

If we used calcium hydroxide instead of calcium carbonate we’d make acetone.

Also if you mix a saturated calcium acetate solution with ethanol it makes something like Sterno, a flammable moldable jelly. Wheeee chemistry

14 Likes

I added more yesterday. You can see it eats the shell and all that’s left is the membrane. Definitely doing something. Man I hope this works. :facepunch:t2:

11 Likes

@boozer you reminded me to put on another batch for myself, I’m burning through it with how much the plants are loving it with every watering.

No new photos for now, but I figured I’d post about what’s up here, I’m still rebuilding and cleaning as I go. Much better idea now of what I want to do with the space to maximize its capabilities and my options for growing cannabis and also some veg later or next winter, I’ll keep that a secret for now but update about all the plants and what’s up with them, I could use a log myself:

Flowering in the 3x4 for a while now (I stopped keeping track of days in flower for things, at least for now) under two XS1500s (300w)

-Stardawg x JTR, gonna finish first
-two trios of autos, one got bigger than the other for some reason, I should have transplanted them earlier
-Cat Scratch Skunk cut from @catapult
-Big Don x 2 (I think?)

In the reset and moved 4x4 I put the following under a single XS1500 (150w) setup diagonal and high to cover them all, they’re vegging out for flowering shortly:

-2x @dinopartychucks Black Light Bubba S1
-2x DPC Hashtastrophe
-1x TGTB G-Unit
All feminized seeds

-JTR mom from @catapult

And I’ll probably add in one of the Bay Breeze clones since those are both finally taking off along with the Black Cherry Soda BX2. The Ma Milk #31 is probably ready to clone, thank god, she was my first reveg and a weird trip but made it through healthy. Got two Hoku fem seeds to transplant from plugs tonight, an OC V2 CBG and a Rhinestone Villain THCV/mixed.

Need to start some testers for Copa soon, I chose Strayfox’s Carbon Killerz x Durban/Lambsbread

17 Likes

Nice mail days this week from @LegsMahoney and @Swampthing on some trades thanks dudes :pray:

17 Likes

Hell yea! Glad they landed safe man :heart::v:t2:

5 Likes

Just finally found a source for smaller packages of some of the Big Ag stuff I want, hope it turns out to be legit! I needed Botanigard 22WP but not $100 worth, just spent $17 for 18 grams to give it a try, they’ve got some other stuff people might be interested in, some of it is not great for cannabis or at least not for flowering but much is:

I’m gonna make a gallon of soil drench for root aphids and the rest for foliars and hope it works, if it does I’ll get more to keep in reserve here for the next time I lose a grip on the pest IPM

If it works as good as people say I’ll probably buy a pound of it for $95 from Arbico maybe hit a coupon and get it for less and split it with some folks here since there’s plenty of room for shipping costs to send it around at 22¢/gram instead of $1/gram like I just spent. I’ll keep you all updated in a week or whenever it gets here and I start spraying.

Tonight I gave all my plants and soil a good spray down with 2L of Bonide Thuricide, the BTI is good but I should be using BTK sometimes too.

8 Likes