Dirt Wizard's Magic Wand Factory and Library Lounge

Day 40 of veg:

Day 37 of flower:

NSxApollo:

Cindy Mix:

Smart Move:

Cinderella 99:

24 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the UV this time around or the foliars or common C99/Apollo heritage or what, but all four plants in flower have visible trichomes on their fan leaves if you zoom in on the pictures above. I’m going to have to get some macro/micro shots of them and see what kind they are.

7 Likes

Those are looking choice. Very nice resin!

4 Likes

Document dump:

“High Points: An Historical Geography of Cannabis”

Article in Geographical Review October 2014
DOI: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2014.12038.x

Cannabis.pdf (245.6 KB)

“Evaluation of potential hazards during harvesting and trimming cannabis at an indoor cultivation facility.”
Cincinnati, OH : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 2022.

2019-0152-3381.pdf (1.3 MB)

DIY passive hydro trash can plans from University of Hawaii Agricultural Extension:

HG-44.pdf (424.6 KB)

“THE EFFECT OF INBREEDING ON THE VARIATION
DUE TO RECESSIVE GENES”
BY ALAN ROBERTSON
Breeding and Genetics Research Organization, Edinburgh, Scotland
Received June 25, 1951"

189.pdf (793.0 KB)

“Patterns of Cannabis Use among Congo Basin Hunter-
Gatherers”
Author(s): Casey J. Roulette and Barry S. Hewlett
Source: Journal of Ethnobiology, 38(4):517-532.
Published By: Society of Ethnobiology
https://doi.org/10.2993/0278-0771-38.4.517
URL: Patterns of Cannabis Use among Congo Basin Hunter-Gatherers

0278-0771-38.4.517.pdf (1.9 MB)

“Postharvest Operations of Cannabis and Their Effect on
Cannabinoid Content: A Review”

Pabitra Chandra Das , Alec Roger Vista, Lope G. Tabil * and Oon-Doo Baik *

Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, 57 Campus Drive,
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A9, Canada; pcd476@usask.ca (P.C.D.); ajv715@usask.ca (A.R.V.)

• Correspondence: lope.tabil@usask.ca (L.G.T.); oon-doo.baik@usask.ca (O.-D.B.)

“Nutrient management in recirculating hydroponic culture”

February 2004 Acta Horticulturae 648:99-112
DOI:10.17660/ActaHortic.2004.648.12
Conference: South Pacific Soilless Culture Conference
Project: Plant nutrition in regenerative systems
Authors: Bruce Bugbee, Utah State University

7 Likes

thank you for these links!

1 Like

If you like this, keep an eye out here, I clear my tabs and download folder around once a week putting the best things here so I have a searchable log for myself, but I hope it makes for entertaining/edifying reading!

6 Likes

THIS :+1: :+1: :peace_symbol: :+1:

2 Likes

On this note, I wanted to share my favorite story about plant genetics and dystopian futures, it’s by an author named Paolo Bacigalupi and is set in the same future world as his novel The Windup Girl, which is also excellent, but this one is a novelette about seeds and food and GMOs, set before the novel just after the Collapse:

The Calorie Man.pdf (136.2 KB)

And if you like reading literary theory, these are two essays about his work that are interesting:

6 Likes

Day 41 veg, everyone got new two gallon shoes last night, lots of rootbound plants explaining the unhappy deficiencies. Best root system development was hands down one of the Sowah Grapefruits, just a bucket of nothing but white roots, the other was good but not the same level. Most of the others were pretty good, some weak thin roots on the runt BT and the little IG as expected, they probably won’t make it to flower. LDSC all very consistent to each other, kinda surprising for a chuck! Everyone got Mykos in the hole when repotting, as standard, and some pruning, I took off the bottom two nodes of branches and fan leaves to start shaping the canopies. After a few more days of rooting I’m going to remove the rest of the damaged ugly fan leaves, but check out some of these fans! The big mutant BT is looking like Deep Chunk or something with the dinner plates and the back IG has the thickest stems I’ve ever seen on fans, about the thickness of a pencil.

Day 38 flower, everyone is absolutely booming, never seen growth like this in Week Six, the soil and conditions and foliars are all hitting hard through mid flower, I’ve got a compost tea coming ready in the morning for everyone and they just got a light last topdress with a few tablespoons of Stonington Blend, fish bone meal, frass, and Oly Mountain and an inch of soil to top the pots off nice and high. I’m trying to see how hard I can drive organics here without resorting to unusual, high-effort measures, so it’s all about air circulation at the root level (fabric pots, pot elevators in the saucers, floor fan, I’m interested in some of the forced air ideas I’ve seen with airstones in the bottom of a soil pot, might just fuck around and find out), fast wet-dry cycles that don’t dry down too much, rotating plants daily for maximum light exposure, two hours of UV-A and UV-B in the midday, reflectors at soil level to keep light in the canopy, and foliars through flower of SEA-90 and PureCrop1 as biostimulants. I’ve also started using Hygrozyme this grow to keep my root system cleared out and I think it’s doing good things for the rhizosphere.

17 Likes

So, at a best guess this is what my growing schedule looks like for the rest of the winter and spring at the Magic Wand and Magic Bean Factory:

Today: Friday December 30

-Day 42 from seed for 3x Blue Tara, 3x Icy Grape, 2x Sowah Grapefruit, and 3x LouDog Sour Chem

-Day 39 of 12/12 flowering for one each Cinderella 99, Cindy Mix, Smart Move, and Nigerian Sunshine x Apollo

January 2- Day 42 mild defoliation in flowering tent

Jan 7- expect to be able to start pre-sexing plants after they have a week in their new 2G pots, that usually happens just before the two month mark after releasing them from tight 1G pots, of eleven I’m of course hoping for four vigorous and well-structured females, one of each type. We’ll see how that goes! If I’m really lucky I’ll get two Icy Grapes, one in each pheno Skittles or Domina, and it would be great if that SG with the crazy roots is female. Males are getting killed, I have more of all these seeds and I have pollen in the freezer from @Radicle_Reefer I want to get using, there’s more than enough for many rounds of chucking in my little home grow.

Jan 14- should be definitively done with sexing at this point, plants get topped and repotted into final 7/15G pots.

Jan 29- strip fan leaves in flower tent, stop watering

February 1- Chop, wash, and hang flowering 4x4 with current C99/Apollo types at Day 71 after 24 hours darkness. C99 and Cindy Mix might come down before then, but everything may get a partial harvest at 63 days for tops and a week more for lowers to plump up. I think the Smart Move is gonna want the most time to finish,but I might be wrong. The Nigerian likes a long flower, I think that as good as the NS/Goji I grew was at 70 it would have been better longer. This time I think the Apollo should pull a week off the finish time and make it well baked at ten weeks.

Late January- soak and sprout collected F1 Vortex seeds from @Guitarzan @Weednerd.Anthony and @Griftee for the already-approved Vortex Preservation Co-op Seed Run. They’ll start off in Jiffy pucks then into soil within a week.

February 1- Get BT/IG/SG/LDSC into tent and flip to 12/12 for a projected April 12 finish @ 70 days. They’ll be ten weeks from seed at that point and either in 7 or 15 gallon pots depending on the M/F ratio, should know that pretty soon. They’ll get Day 1 defoliation and already be gently lollipopped and LSTd into baskets with 8-12 main tops from pruning before and after the last repot.

Feb 2- Day 1 of flowering

Feb 7- Vortex get repotted up from hard pints to hard Pro-Cal “gallons” @ two weeks from seed

Feb 9- Topdress flowering tent hard at beginning of Week 2 with Stonington Blend, fish bone meal, EWC, and Oly Mountain, adding an inch or two of soil to top off the pots. This is to give it a little time to get working before defoliation in a week when the plant needs to get juiced hard with nutrients to make up for the loss of leaves in the middle of budding. I think this is why my current grow is firing so hard, I topdressed at Day 10 to the CoM schedule with their dry amendments and some compost blended in first to get it all working (a great tip that I picked up from organic farmers, you can mix EWC or compost into your dry amendments before you add them and it makes them come available faster in the soil). I was nervous about Day 1/21/42 defoliation but this is the trick I read and it seems to be working.

Feb 16- Day 21 defoliation in flowering tent, pollinate select lower branches of everything to make baby’s first chucks

Feb 28- Vortex get potted up to 2G tall (12" high) fabric transplanter pots @ five weeks from seed, depending on germination and survival/herm/runt rates this could be their last transplant based on space limitations

March 9- Day 42 defoliation in flowering tent

March 14- if few enough Vortex pop and survive, repot up from 2G to 5G fabric pots @ seven weeks from seed

April 6- flip lights in 3x4 to 12/12 to start Vortex flowering, sprout @Tonygreen G-Unit and Gorilla Bubble BX5 feminized seeds for 3x4 summer flower run in 2x 15G fabric pots.

April 12- Chop BT/IG/SG/LDSC in flower tent @ 70 days

April 13- Vortex moved to 4x4, G-Unit and GB moved to 3x4 and repotted into soil pints @ one week

April 20- repot G-Unit and GB into 2G transplanters @ two weeks

May 4- repot G-Unit and GB into 15G final pots @ four weeks

May 25- flip to flower @ seven weeks

June 8- projected harvest time for Vortex plants and seeds @ 9 weeks flowering

July- shuck and sort seeds, get them shipped to the @coopactiongroup for distribution and some breeder packs to the folks who donated their seeds and other services to this project

August- get around to dry sifting that leftover seeded bud and get hella high

August 10- projected harvest of G-Unit and Gorilla Bubble at eleven weeks (it’s gonna be crazy)

9 Likes

Now that’s a detailed plan! You get a gold star if you hit all those benchmarks lol

5 Likes

This just my opinion, but I have to throw it in here. I don’t think you should cull plants from a preservation run, unless they herm. Just because a plant is a runt, doesn’t mean it’s a bad plant. That runt contains genetics that are unique to that plant, and there’s no way to know what those genetics might contribute to the next generation.

When you cull plants, you’re making selections, in other words, you’re breeding, not preserving, and while I’m sure you’ve got a good eye, I’d rather make my own selections, from as diverse a gene pool as possible.

It’s your call, but on the Vortex run, I vote keep the runts. :slight_smile:
:guitar:

13 Likes

This is a good point for me to remember, that I’m aiming for future genetic diversity over everything else. I don’t think I’ll be culling runts as long as they are healthy, I’m a little iffy on allowing plants to survive that never thrive and display weak root systems and the other problems I’ve seen with some runts so far. Given the reputation of this strain for freaky growth, I think I’ll have to be especially tolerant this time around and just let them go, as long as they actually go.

8 Likes

Well now, we’re gonna see but I’m making this plan partially because without benchmarks I never have the stuff ready on time to keep things moving. I should have started my plants a month earlier than I did this year, maybe more, so I need to keep the schedule through early summer when I’m gonna have to mostly be done because humidity in my basement rises so much that flowering expressions don’t come out as frosty without the cold and dry.

4 Likes

100% agree. Co-op runs are supposed to be open pollinations to preserve as much of the gene pool as possible. The only reason to cull a plant is if it herms.

7 Likes

Mail day from @iamyou_youareme who might have just saved me $100 since I was eyeing T-1000 crosses at the CSI sale, thanks for your generosity and spreading the genetics!

14 Likes

I took the flowering ladies out on the evening of Day 38 for a little branch bending and to take some glamour shots individually, they’re all beautiful this round :heart_eyes::drooling_face:

26 Likes

Looking so glamorous!

3 Likes

Wow, very nicely trained, pretty looking plants!

2 Likes

Thanks! All I do is top and prune vining lowers, and this round I did the Day 1/21/42 defoliation schedule, this is just before the Day 42 light last defol. I just top in mid/late veg once or sometimes twice and do a lot of supercropping, some heavy duty stuff on the main stems in the beginning and then a lot of gentle bending every week or so. I have learned to lay down the main branches some and then flex out the individual buds that would cola up so that they can get more light and fatten up, hopefully into bigger colas but definitely more AAAA biomass either way. With silica in the feed and good fans, along with rotating the plants each day and shaking the trunk each time, they seem to get good enough structure to stay upright until the end with most genetics. I think this run I’m going to be putting in some stakes and hoops when I get back home in a week from the vacation I just left on. I expect them to be pretty heavy and droopy by then and I’m going to put in 4-5 stakes around the perimeter of each pot and wire an 18" ring to them around canopy level to keep things up at the end of flowering.

7 Likes