Discussion: Veg. plant maturity

So what is it?? Semi auto??? I had a white widow auto do this a few years back and it ended up huge. I flipped to 12/12 till it started budding then back to 18/6. It grew that big it was pushing the sides of my 4x4 tent out even with negative pressure.

3 Likes

Yes, semi auto basically. Making autos takes several filial generations when making them from scratch. When you don’t work them far enough you end up with as much as a 50/50 ratio between photoperiod and autoflower.:v:

1 Like

My apologies… im a nerd :nerd_face: :joy:

1 Like

Bro it was a seed from phoenix seeds. They are renound and have been around a long time. I may have just got a seed that’s genetic makeup was messed up. Wasn’t a bad thing. It yielded 12oz of meh quality buds

2 Likes

Don’t think so, this discussion proves it Arriba|nullxnull, learning about it … empollon|nullxnull

2 Likes

Every breeder has issues. Nobody is perfect.

Let me repeat that… every single breeder has problems. Just because someone is renowned it doesn’t mean they didn’t make a mistake or rush through something once or twice.

I’m not saying you’re wrong… could’ve very well just been one seed that was fucked from birth… but it also could’ve been a breeder mistake.

4 Likes

Agree :+1:
Most seed banks rush stuff to gain profit.

4 Likes

Autos have flower triggers too, day light hours just isn’t one of them. That’s why plants like those are called “day neutral” in the entire rest out the plant world outside the canna bubble.

Aside from just size and yield, bud formation/structure and quality seem to suffer when they are triggered too prematurely but that also might just be my inexperience in dealing with them and not adjusting properly after they have been stunted. The most common triggers I have seen for premature flower onset on the autos is root damage, being root bound, and drought stress.

I guess what I’m saying is, I think these plants may have an minimum/optimum pot size or veg time before flower onset to reach maturity and fully express, just on a different scale than photoperiod plants. I also may be way off base here, but it’s what I’ve observed in my limited experience.

1 Like

Thanks I learn by pictures better than text. ADHD :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m running perpetual 12/12 from seed.
Doesn’t stress them at all.
You save electricity and you get a faster turnaround.
Just sow them more densely.
Great for breeding.

Might get you bigger harvest per year, not sure…

Would be cool if someone with 2 tents can test this over the span of 3-4 years. :+1:
Same size tent, soil batch, soil volume, genetics, input and light.

Also, since they stay very short this way you can have two levels of canopy, one on top of the other, if you place your no-till beds in a rack and use the thin Quantumboard lights.

Wrote a more detailed description here:

Perfect for squatty plants and autoflowers.
Stretchy ones can be supercropped.

1 Like

In my opinion that’s incorrect. Even under constant 12/12 the plants still take a month or so before they mature and start to flower. If your making seeds or doing a SOG then 12/12 from seed is perfect. My point is in my own personal experience doing this the grow time is about the same. If your growing from clones then disregard this entire post :+1:

2 Likes

The difference depends on how long you usually let your plants veg.
It’s an individual matter.

1 Like

True. And I agree about saving in electricity BUT them extra 6 hours per pay in veg leads to bigger plants and bigger yields so the saving your gaining effects the yield.
Not meaning to be a pain or in any way way saying your wrong im just stating my own personal experience :+1:

1 Like

Could be made up for by sowing more densely, since you can grow more plants in the same space. Especially when stacking two low tents vertically.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen it, and I respect it but I don’t always wait for it. It has it’s ups n downs.

You can flower a plant sooner than it’s ready and it’ll just take longer to go into full flowering and won’t become as nice a specimen, won’t get as rounded a terp profile, and will lack a bit in quality but it’s not that much that a novice would notice.

Take a cutting and grow that up for a month and you have a specimen that’s almost surely more mature than anything you put into flowering after less than 2 months of pregrowing, though I think that has to do with the hormonal changes that go on when the cutting goes from branch tip to new plant.

There’s usually an increase in quality in the cutting vs seed plant as well. That’s just vs the seed of course, and not vs a mother plant that was already a cutting.

That’s just my experience though, would love to see other’s chime in. I’ve heard similar stories before myself though.

1 Like

Unless you were to do a side by side of many numbers of plants, and get some empirical data I think the best you can say is it doesn’t appear to stress them at all.

I think the fact that you grow in a way that creates and maintains a lot of diverse biological activity in your soil, probably helps offset some of the symptoms of that stress.

We aren’t observing wether or not the plants are stress so much as how well they are dealing with that stress. Just because the plant shrugs something off just fine doesn’t mean it’s not a stress to the plant, it just means the plant is healthy and strong enough to not show the stress.

You take two people, one healthy who eats a good diet, another who lives a more secondary life and eats most processed food. Have them both hike a couple miles up a hill, or lift a heavy object. They will both be dealing with the same external stressor, but you will more visibly see the impact of that stressor on one of them.

I think the same can be said for plants, so if all of you other stressors are minimal, the stress of being pushed into flower by light hours before the plant is fully able to mature might be something that the plant shrugs off just fine.

I also think genetics also plays a roll, as it pretty much always does.

This depends on how you aquire the seeds. If your buying them from a breeder then sometimes planting more seeds isn’t a viable or affordable option. Scrog and a proper veg period can achieve a huge payback. I guess we all have our own grow styles that suit our own needs.

1 Like

This right here. Revegging IME can be done but only about a week into flowering for strains that are quick to flip, and up to 3 weeks for the strains that take longest to flip. After that there’s indeed a very noticeable drop in quality.

1 Like

I think this increase in quality you speak of is an illusion because the seed plants are not often left to fully mature before flowing is induced. I don’t know know this to be fact, but can’t fathom a reason for why it would be that cloning would improve the quality of a flower, unless the mother seed plant was not healthy or had some kind of issues that were able to be side stepped by starting from scratch.

Oh it’s absolutely not. I’ve tried this with plants that had served their time as mothers for 2 rounds as well, that would absolutely constitute maturity.

1 Like