Do you smoke Thai?

Hahaha you didn’t figure it out? Its “gaton” in thai, don’t know what the english name is, super sour and sweet, real nice when good

3 Likes

roman ,
some of that brick weed is quite good ,
variations of course , as there always is with weed ,
but ive had some pretty good brick ,

its not as good as the old thai sticks ,
but it certainly has some similarities to it ,
and with better care and handling , it would be closer ,
bit hard to judge from where you sit of course ,
go try some and then comment again , theres plenty to choose from now as u can see …

6 Likes

my modern cambodian was best combined with a tiny breeze of the snowhighs Vietblack Hash. That Effect was way more deep then without the Vietblack.
my Advice for you, incase you have that around there , :blush: It had that freshness of “modern thai” but the saturated color-boost of old gold

2 Likes

not sure how that morphed into cambodian and hash from brickweed in thailand and im not even sure what modern thai is , is there even such a thing ??

3 Likes

I don’t judge by looks, names or other peoples oppinions but by my own taste when smoking weed… things may look and sound cool or un cool but the quality of the smoke is everything to me, then flavor and then smell but effect is #1 always… yes @wallyduck some of the brick is quite good quite a lot used to be shit and mostly due to post harvest handling of the product. Spending a lot of time in the region used to be key to find the good stuff. Now with legalization there’s a lot of old names that came back like thai sticks, but names are just words and the sample I smoked of “thai stick” from a vendor down by a beach wasn’t even close to as good as my southern thai I kept in the freeze a year lol…

7 Likes

Hey man I smoke Thai, speak jive, and feel a lot more like I do now than a did a while ago.

11 Likes

A lot of the fun of growing from seeds found in brick weed is never knowing what you might get. Brick seed can surprise you sometimes. Brick weed may also be a good source for landrace genetics.

4 Likes

Why would you need extra light if you’re in a tropical climate? Not criticizing, just curious.

2 Likes

I would dare to guess that at least one of the reasons would be to keep things in a vegetative state even in the short days of the tropics… I am not answering for funky here but that would be my number one guess.

4 Likes

Makes sense. Indica strains come from higher latitude, meaning longer days in summer.

3 Likes

yes and even if you grow say a Thai in Thailand, maybe you want to keep it in veg for various reasons and it will veg for some time in the short days but eventually flower but if you grow hybrids or Afghan types in Thailand they will flower way too soon without extra light hours being induced artificially.

5 Likes

It would also be pretty cool if you could keep a plant alive for a year or longer. Turn that into a clone factory.

3 Likes

sure and in the tropics to do that you will need artificial lights even for the tropical varieties

3 Likes

The plants need light anyway, so it seems like the more light they get, the more they yield and the higher the potency.

1 Like

Have yet to figure out what affects the potency? Potency can mean the amount of THC, the intensity of high and or the duration.

Seems the tropical s have the intense cerebral highs no ceiling and last way longer? Why?

5 Likes

That’s a million dollar question and one I’ve struggled with. Some explain it by terpenes but I suspect there’s a lot going on we don’t understand yet.

Why do I find greater effect from a mid strength THC sativa, compared to a higher THC indica or hybrid?

5 Likes

It think it has something to do with stored energy. It received energy in the form of sunlight, which the plant converts to chemical and potential energy and stores.

1 Like

Novel studies with variegated cannabis showed that secretory cells within leaf tissue lacking
chlorophyll suffered no reduction in cannabinoid synthesis ability. In fact a small but significantly higher concentration of cannabinoid (weight per unit area) was found in tissue lacking chlorophyll. Although the overall ability of the plant to biosynthesize cannabinoids was likely related to the total amount of energy available to the plant, this study implied that where part of a plant was in shade, this did not affect its ability to biosynthesize cannabinoids ability. Thus partial shading did not increase the variability of plant tissue cannabinoid contents.

3 Likes

I wonder how a Paki looks at the growing season compared to the tropical? Seems to me the Northern type would be pushing to store more energy because its genetics have to finish the job under depleted conditions. Food (light), temperature (freezing). What drives a tropical? I think you are on to something.

2 Likes

I think you’re touching on an important aspect of tropical types and their inherent ability to utilize photons of a given region. My speculation is that the longer flowering season gives way to more opportunities for insect and herbivore predation as well as longer exposure to sun and other abiotic stresses. This is turn causes the plants to produce a unique array of secondary metabolites in lower latitudes compared to higher latitudes with shorter flowering season windows. With the longer flowering window in the tropics it seems plausible there are other reactions happening in symbiosis with the plant in terms of its microbiome as it relates to endophytes and their role in modulating the production of secondary metabolites. Perhaps these longer flowering seasons give way to varying lengths of the alkyl side chain which has been noted to be a determining factor of it’s (THC) biological activity on human CB1 receptors. It would be awesome to see studies on tropical varieties being grown in the tropics compared to the same varieties being grown in other locations and how it relates to secondary metabolite production across populations. Really enjoy and appreciate these topics being discussed. Much love

6 Likes