EDIBLES ONSET - how to manipulate? (For Fast Acting)

I usually make cookies by infusing a bunch of butter with decarb weed in a double boiler/water bath for like 6 hours (i know, overkill). Thing is, these cookies will hit me in 20 minutes TOPS.

I made some gummies recently following @ReikoX -s Not Another Tincture thread, and all fatnastic but onset time was 3 hours.

Which got me thinking, I believe the onset time should only be affected by metabolism… but:

are there ways to make an edible have a faster onset time?

Why do my cookies onset time take 15 minutes but my gummies 3 hours?

7 Likes

I’ve noticed my response seems to change depending on when and what I’ve eaten.
I haven’t ‘nailed it down’ yet as to what the parameters are.
Longer onset time seems to happen if I’ve just eaten recently.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

yupp me too. which would have to do with metabolism.

Also, I imagine certain ingredients are easier to process (in your body) thus making it faster acting.

4 Likes

The cookies I make are almost always 75 minutes to kick in for me. Other food I have or haven’t eaten can swing that by 10-15 minutes either direction. I’ve noticed when I consume one from a more potent than usual batch that it hits faster.

I add sunflower lecithin to help absorption.

5 Likes

true! thank you - ive yet to add an emulsifier to my edibles, ive wanted to experiment with xantham gum and sunflower lecithin.

2 Likes

Edited because I’m a fool.

You know… you can also just eat the decarbed bud with a teaspoon. I do it every day.
No need to make it so complicated. :smile:

Onset is same like with cookies but it’s more slow release because the fiber is included, I’m feeling it all day long, it’s a nice even-keeled effect.

2 Likes

i thought gelatin was very easy to digest (thus why you usually get jello after surgery)

spoken like a true champ ! i actually do sometimes eat decarbed weed either from the stove or the vape.

1 Like

I make 15 minutes onset of all my edible.
Your gelatins just need a little more thc in them, or you need to eat more of them. That’s because a 3 mg gummy is no comparison to a 15 mg brownie.
If you want the same onset, you would have to eat enough gummies to add up to the amount of thc that in the cookies.
It may just be me, but gelatins seem to loose potency very quickly. It seems that the longer I keep them the weaker they get in the matter of a few weeks. I don’t make them very often because of that.

1 Like

Gelatin is good for your joints, among other things.

To say it has zero nutritional value is closer to misinformation than hyperbole.

Sure, most industrially produced processed food items are nutritionally bankrupt, but that doesn’t mean that all of that thing has no value.

Edit:verbiage

3 Likes

We mix decarbed concentrates with coco oil and have it ready in a liquid medicine syringe. Then we just add to any food we eat. 1 ml is usually enough to rock us for a full day. Granted we put 3 or 4 grams of oil into the concoction usually end up with 20 ml of edible oil. :yum: I’m sick af right now, and am pondering waking up blitz as all hell, thing is if I eat it after a meal, it takes hours. If I eat it with a piece of bread and have skipped a meal before… let’s just say it’s hard to walk…

2 Likes

If I take mine after I eat a full meal 2 hours. If I take it right before I eat a full meal, the meal pushes it thru my liver faster I can activate in 1 hour. Now something like blackberry kush can be a creeper "over 2 hours 3 to peak. Everyone’s different want it to activate quicker try a potent tincture under the tongue. Peace. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I was told malodextrin can bring it in faster

1 Like

Thanks for setting me straight and being kind about it. Edited my post.

2 Likes

The onset was great, 17 minutes. I ate 1 ml of infused oil with some food. I wanted to try and see what it was,. Eat some high thc infused anything with some food. I just did and it’s taking me a half hour to type :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Direct sublingual tincture ingestion

I typically feel the onset of my GD tinctures in under ten minutes. So, I will suggest that the least favorite “edible” method reliably results in the fastest onset time and most predictable effects.

Under the tongue sublingual tincture ingestion reliably hits fast and hard. Additionally, you can control the dose with precision.

I “Calibrate” each batch of tincture after I make it to determine what constitutes a “normal dose” in terms of droppers-full. That seems to range from one dropper (about half a ml) for a very potent tincture, to four droppers for an extraction from less potent herb.

On an empty stomach, before a meal, I put a “normal” dose into a shot glass and add a trickle of water, just enough to see it turn a milky white, like absinthe. I toss that back and hold it under my tongue for a few minutes before swallowing. Follow that with a little sip of milk to aid ingestion and soothe the throat and we’re done.

Within ten minutes I begin to feel a gentle soothing body high that relaxes the muscles and reduces any minor aches and pains. After 30 minutes I’m as high as I’m going to get with that dose and it lasts for hours. The Normal dose is a nice relaxing high that doesn’t inhibit any activity 'cept driving which I avoid when under the influence of anything. Double the Normal dose at your own risk.

I really don’t understand why the direct sublingual ingestion of tincture extractions isn’t more popular. Perhaps my taste buds are worn out from too much time at sea using Tabasco sauce to put a little zip into the blandness of mid voyage food supplies. LOL.

You can virtually eliminate the alcohol mouth burn by adding a little more water, and the taste of each tincture is unique and interesting.

My two current favorite tinctures are made from Bruce Banner, and Gorilla Glue#4. They each have pleasant and distinct herbal flavors and recognizably different effects. As you might guess the sativa BB is energizing and the GG is a sleepy time med. I’m just guessing that these subtleties are not discernable once an extraction is added to edibles.

So, if you want to experience extracted CannaChems as directly as possible, try the method above.

Just my $0.02,
-Grouchy

7 Likes

I make a bunch of gummies for people and I’m not seeing any decreasing potency issues in my gummies across a 60 day time frame. 2 months worth is a typical order and I’d hear all about it if they were getting weaker, lol. I have some here that are even older that I eat, and no problems.
Granted, they are strong af to begin with…might be interesting to test some old vs new and see what they lose, but as long as everybody happy, I’ll keep the coin instead of test $$.

4 Likes

People who

In less than a month, I fine the gummies will not be as effective as when they where fresh.
Instead of complaining, most people will just stop coming to get them.
I would pay attention to if the people that got the fresh batch are the same people that are getting them as they age. That will tell you how good they are.
I have had cupcakes in the freezer for 4 months without any diminished effects. But when it comes to gummies, I have to toss them in a few weeks because of lack of effect.
I estimate 5mg per 5ml gummy. 2 of those will knock your ding dong in the dirt. When I eat 4 or 5 with no effect, I know that they are past their prime.
So I make a new batch and the effectiveness returns. It just may be my process.

1 Like

Nice! Reminds me I’m out of everclear matter o fact :wink:

2 Likes

This could be relevant perhaps whether just ingested or decarbed in this manner… my last batch of cannabutter I added a few drops of lemon juice to…can’t hurt and not liable to influence the flavor much :slight_smile:

1 Like

MCT oil, which is just further refined coconut oil will go to your liver faster than other foods, and you can put your MCT oil infusion under the tongue before swallowing it. It also works great in coffee.

1 Like