Environment here changed

Please point out which posts made you think this?

I never intended this.

1 Like

But then it’s a NP and needs to be transparent. Unfortunately we can’t have it both ways.

1 Like

Just simply that, I likely applied some of my own thoughts to it lol.

1 Like

We were both wishing out loud…lol

1 Like

I don’t object to internal transparency in the least. Publicly there is some level of privacy yes, but to those supporters you owe answers.

And we get answers. Doesn’t matter if we don’t like what we hear.

This was the thread.

Since this is a community discussion and some have now let me know they are missing out because of how the trust system works, I moved this thread to the community section.

1 Like

Dude you joined in April. You weren’t here when Joe had his hand out asking for donations to run the server and using altruism and community as a front. I get not sharing business info, but dude is fucking dishonest.

5 Likes

Almost but no, mate.

We’re saying there should be no more money involved publicly at all. The money is the problem. If you wanna run an auction, pm the top 50 people or whoever you want and see if they’re interested. Run it in a group pm the same way some of the group buys have been handled. Hell throw up a thread asking for interest and people to pm you. Can also do the everyone-buys-me-a-pack-and-maybe-i-grow-it-and-give-you-seeds-later, or whatever else you want to do, that way too. Just remove the money exchange from the public view.

If joe needs to run a server auction to save the site… there’s deeper problems :sweat_smile: but whatever…
He/TeamOG arrange that and make it 100% clear what the money is going towards. All the money gets paid through the OG donate page, and call it a day. Shouldn’t need to do that more than once a year as that’s when hosting is generally paid, annually.

8 Likes

points up to where he said he’s “new-ish”

Didn’t og just buy a new server? I don’t think there is a hosting cost now, nothing beyond paying for the forum software licensing, electricity and Joe and the mods salaries.

I very well may be wrong, IT is not my forte

3 Likes

Wow, Joe has been nothing but cool with me. Dishonest, perhaps I don’t have enough details but that statement just feels wrong to me.

6 Likes

I agree I was just stating a alternative to the server fund scam .

2 Likes

Loki has been typing furiously for like 10 minutes. I’m super curious as to what’s being written

5 Likes

Do you not understand the name of the thread is the environment has changed? We’re talking about how things used to be compared to now. You just want to make arguments about profits and running a business, without the context of where all these donations and auctions originated from.

Ok ,well if I asked for a bunch of donations bc I was gonna get surgery for some ailment I had but couldn’t afford it, and all my friends and family responded positively. So much so that 1 + year later they are still sending me money, but now I don’t need it, it just goes in my bank account and I spend it on movies, fun shit, whatever just not associated with my ailment. If I never turned the money down or told people to stop trying to raise money for me, would I not be dishonest?

1 Like

Lol, no he’s not. But yet you have a place to post such bs. If you feel that way, don’t donate. Donations does not mean you or anyone else here suddenly owns the place and LJ needs to provide you with detailed accounting. There are other alternatives to keep the lights on, none of which would be appreciated I’d imagine.

For the IT experts, ya’ll have a long ways to go until you realize the time, effort, risk, investment, expense, and infrastructure involved behind running a platform worldwide. Best way to learn, give it a shot yourselves. Some have tried, BTW.

Yeah, I’m irritated. I think I ate too much Taco Bell.

13 Likes

When Joe reached out to me I was fairly new, probly 3 months old or so, he asked for a donation to help keep the site running. Hell I get lots of fun, information, an occasional freebie, friendship and comraderie. So I donated. I was getting a lot for nothing.
I don’t expect anything but what I’m getting. Plus I have met a lot of cool mofos here.
Having said all that, I do think $$$$ should be done by PM. My reason is this… OG was already shut down once. If we want it to remain active, the $$$$ needs to stay out of the equation. Any time money is involved in ANYTHING the government wants their slice of the pie And they get mad when they don’t get it.

6 Likes

So you are saying he asked for donations for the big server upgrade and to keep things running and than just didn’t tell people to stop sending. Sorry but that is not the same as your surgery analogy. Server will always need funding, unlike surgery it’s not a one time thing so I don’t feel those two things compare. In your analogy I agree the person is being dishonest, I just don’t see the 2 things as the same.

For the record I have been in IT for over 25 years and have done Data center support for major banks through many of them. I for one do have a pretty dam good understanding of the costs and time involved. :wink:

8 Likes

Seems like Joe is fine with us doing auctions.