Example of high priced seeds

plus isn’t most of their catalog fem seeds?

1 Like

I think most are reversals. Haven’t and won’t grow anything of his/theirs. I’ll go to the breeders who put in the work.

4 Likes

that would make sense as most overpriced seeds/strains are reversals of clones or seeds from a mother plant and yeah i wouldn’t wanna spend my hard earned money on their genetics either, id rather spend something worth my money and with breeders doing something unique rather than creating cash grabs.

3 Likes

Funny thing is, my friend’s facility runs all Copycat in WA. They were featured in High Times I believe.

1 Like

That’s because everyone put in the work, and copy copied them. I just feel the original breeder who actually put in the work deserves credit. I can “breed” my own s1 from any pack if I wanted to .

2 Likes

Seed companies do what they do best nowadays and that’s price gouging…the only way to stop it is not to buy into their hype folks…Do your own creations/breedings…

Homemade Strains Thread

15 Likes

Running Copycat Platinum Lemon Cherry Gelato, I payed a lot of money for some nice smelling intersex plants. Sheesh. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

I hope you didn’t pay what they are asking on the website. Yikes

1 Like

heirlooms for the win :metal:

2 Likes

I had a friend that got into Copy’s gear a few years ago. He gave me a couple of Sour Apple Killer and Gary Payton fems. I popped the SAKs and 1 was a straight male. Never touched his gear again after that. My buddy sent me this “Master List” that Copy was sending out a couple of years ago. The amount of strains he was getting out every month seemed suspect to me (but what do I know).

Copycat Master List.pdf (1.2 MB)

2 Likes

Grow enough plants you will get a good one, it’s off spring will have similar traits but may never be as nice.Looks and size and intelligence work the same in people. When you got people like copy cat who say hey if they are willing to pay i am willing to charge, i will put them to 5k if they want to pay it. Not sure why after guys like that you would trust high price gear.

1 Like

I’m happy to pay a premium for worked lines. I think there are different acceptable price ranges depending on the product. Say $50-100 for 10-12 beans of ‘f1’s’ or your standard one male on a bunch of clones kind of seed making. (Like what Bodhi / Doc D etc tends to release.) But if there’s a breeder who’s working a line or bxing to lock down certain traits that can take years of selection. If it’s a guy I trust and like there work I have no prob dropping $150-200 for something worked. which is about in line with what the reputable guys who do that kind of work seem to charge. (Bob Hemphill, Mean Gene etc etc.) More than $100 and it better be tested diligently. More than $150 it better be a multi-generational project or an incredibly difficult plant to S1 (see caleb’s tk s1’s) more than $200-250 that it is just highway robbery and probably not worth it.

21 Likes

P.T. Barnum once said, “There’s a sucker born every minute!”.

9 Likes

Stable worked lines I’m fine paying more for as well. I’m not setup nor do I really care to pheno hunt. So much love for those hunters though.

The big issue I see is high prices on lines that have too much genetic variation. The worst thing is paying triple digits, popping seeds and getting few to none of the traits described by the breeder. I’m also partial to female seeds (when done properly) and clones though.

8 Likes

I’m growing 3 seed junky plants now. Kush mints. They’re expensive if you can find them. Swamp Boys Jungle Boys Dyin Breed are all super expensive. I will say this. The best and most popular weed I’ve grown has been from ethos. Banana Daddy, growing my 3rd crop now, has my people going wild. Comes in auto and photo. Growing photos now. It’s a very very fun high then gradually hits your body. But it’ll have people talking a mile a minute if you harvest with about 10% amber

5 Likes

Isn’t that how these breeders stick it to the consumer though? The S1 reversed seeds they sell may grow more often than not with some of those heavily marketed traits, but when the consumer begins breeding with their seeds (the progeny of those reversed S1’s), all the weird traits start coming out of the woodwork.

2 Likes

President T does not smoke or drink you should know that.

3 Likes

That is the way I see 150 packs from Dominion /Tony G/ top dawg. I got 10 pounds of weed out of one 20 dollar seed and its clones.

6 Likes

Anything from D.r Greenthumb in Canada.

“Guy Laliberté, the art collector and co-founder of Cirque du Soleil said to be worth an estimated $1 billion, has been charged with possessing and growing marijuana after turning himself in to French Polynesian police earlier this week. Authorities allege that the 60-year-old was cultivating cannabis in a secured container on his private island in the South Pacific, which he has developed as a luxury holiday destination for the elite since purchasing it in 2007.”

That guy is smoking some fire :wink:

8 Likes