Feminized Seeds , Whats Your thoughts!?

Nope, not for me. I like both parts of the plant.

1 Like

I am pulling males from a grow now. If thatā€™s the worst of it, not so bad. But if you are paying for seeds and have a limited grow space, I can see the attraction. I dust my crops, so I spill the beans everywhere. Keep what you like, cull the rest!

Keep seedinā€™

99%

1 Like

Precisely @99PerCent. I get the mindset against feminized seeds. However, as you said, i grow for my own medicine in a 4X4 tent and dont have time or space to seek and destroy males. Clones or feminized seed just makes sense. I use an abbreviate grow cycle so time is of the essence.

4 Likes

What a coincidence lol.
This thread bumps up just as I encounter an issue with feminized seeds.
Connosuer genetics, Original diesel haze feminized from breeders pack purchased via herbies.

Not sure what to make of this.
Strain wasnā€™t offered in regular and Iā€™ve got two males out of 5 seeds.

4 Likes

uh-oh! Sheā€™s got a little surprise lurking under her skirt! :anguished:

2 Likes
4 Likes

looks like you got lucky and found a male where you werenā€™t expecting :slight_smile: breed with it!

1 Like

Weā€™re not all bad dudesā€¦ That is excatly how i did it. I could not have been the only oneā€¦ I made strains from 99 through 2004. My target-market wasnt big warehouse dudes, it was small hobby people who didnt know how to grow and the elderly, and later, sick people too. Back then it was obvious, that if u wanted to last, you have to take the time to ensure your seed grows like u say it willā€¦ I saw people flip their shit when someoneā€™s genes hermied or performed poorlyā€¦That gave me nightmares as a breeder. This was before reddit and social media. when there were only 3 sites to go to in the whole world, and a bad review could ruin yur companyā€¦ i was like, aint nobody gonna be saying my genes are whack. I ran our stock through what we call ā€œstress testsā€, b/c i wanted my product to stand up newbie abuse. I did this with reg seed generations while stabilizing, then when i started making fem seed a few years later, they too were subjected the same rigorous testsā€¦ I recall trying to explain this in 02 to one of gypsyā€™s crew, and he just didnt get it. That i purposely fuck up my plants all up to see which ones can hang toughā€¦ Running extra batches of clones(a set of cutting off every single plant, insetad of one cut per plant each generation) just to try to kill them in various scenarios, costs more in time, money and resources, but to me, that was the price for doing it right. That being said, ive never been opposed to a solid f1 or two in a catalouge, as long as you are clear to the consumer, that its an f1 and theyā€™ll have to pheno huntā€¦

I made regular beans in the beginning. Then in 2002, i started making fem seeds in addition to reg seedsā€¦ Originally used GA and then it was STS. I bred like normal, making each generation with a male and female, then once final cross was confirmed as true breeding, iā€™d go to replicate that cross in seeds, and make both reg seeds and fem seedsā€¦ to get fems, Iā€™d take the same gen that I would normally use, just reverse the p1 motherā€¦ ie: The f5xp1, would be a reversed p1 female to the f5 female (instead of the p1 male to a f5 female). Then u germ some, run them (both reg and fem) through stress tests. Repeat at least one more time, to make damn sure neither the reg nor fem, hermied. .ive also bred by reversing each generation (like down the line) but ive always selected 2 plants like normalā€¦ I have made s1ā€™s and s2ā€™s but never released, only to keep a lineā€¦ u run iinto issues when trying to do that. ā€¦ the basic 5 i have now is s2ā€¦ i wouldnt have it today, if i hadnt made the original selfed beans back in the day. but again that is a special circumstance, to be able to resurrect an old line, and never to be released.

i stocked fem seeds as a convenience for idiots and people who were limited on space. Me making fem seeds was never to shield the genes from being ripped offā€¦ Dude, dig it, at that time, the phrase of the day was ā€œovergrow the motherfucking planetā€. I was all about spreading genes. People have stolen our shit and we look at it as a badge of honour. Im not going to name names, but one stolen strains was named high times top ten strian of the year, and the name in the article wasnt my partnerā€™s or my name. totally differnt story and lineage than the truth, but IDGAF, means our genes were on point. the dutch have been stealing and ripping off each other strains since the 80ā€™s, so to me, it was like just part of the seed bizā€¦Ive always been open about ancestry and will explain how i did most hybrids and what all I usedā€¦ There are some trade secrets of course, but im way more open then a lot of these dudesā€¦

I went undergound in 2004, just recently came back and im like, damn,  there's hardly any choice and no diversity anymore...  It's a crying shame, what has happened to the gene game in North America, post 2004/05-ish.. 

I think fem are more important than they were 10 or 12 years ago. Not b/c they out-sell reg beans; even though thats good for business, IDGAF. If u put out a quality product, that is whats good for business, to meā€¦ And the only reason why fem out-sells reg seed is simply b/c the bulk of people buying them are lazy and or stupid.
The reason i feel fem are important now, is b/c of strict plant-count limitations in legal states and more non-weed people getting into cannabis for Medical purposes. People in those positions dont got no time for malesā€¦ So to that, i think fem do have a purpose. Fem seeds are no better or worse than reg seed. The fact that they are female is inconsequential. Itā€™s what parent stock was used and how they were bred, that effects if a seed will be good or shit. If thereā€™s anything that ive learned in the past couple of decades, its that if you concentrate on quality, then you wont have to worry about the money. Put the money first, and the quality suffers.

The bottom line is: if u havent put in at least a couple of years into the strain, then its not a strain. its a cross. and is subject to all the issues that come with unstable genes, regardless of if itā€™s reg or fem seed.

15 Likes

I run fem seeds ( autoā€™s and regs tooā€¦!) and i havenā€™t had any hermie probs at all and Iā€™ve had some killer smoke :fire: from fem plants :seedling: ,and as others have said ,they are handy for little grows where space is tight & numbers need to be kept low etc.
I have a fem keeper right now : a freebie too.! - ( blueberry ghost og - OSSCā€¦) , really potent smoke :dash: and itā€™s only 14/15 months old, i keep the mother & after taking cuts i flower the donor plant :seedling: and flip the mother , rinse & repeat. I have always grown regs too but I usually only run a few of each strain, but I have access to a whole room elsewhere and Iā€™m gonna grow out a few different regular seeds , I only have Kimbo Kush and the Bohdi Tree :evergreen_tree: (from @LED_Seedzā€™ auction) and hopefully Iā€™ll be testing some other peepsā€™ beans tooā€¦ just waiting on whatever Iā€™ve got left to finish, then gonna up-grade my grow spots for a few regular only runs soonā€¦
Sorry for the above ā€˜novelā€™ , didnā€™t realise i wrote a book lolā€¦ Well thatā€™s just my experience with feminised seedsā€¦ happy growing,
Gaz

2 Likes

Right on manā€¦ each kind (fem, reg auto) has thier place, i believeā€¦ each has its purpose for any given situation. breeding has to be more on point now than it was say 15 years ago, bc everyone is selling small quantitesā€¦ like 3 packs and silge seeds, instead of minum 10 seed packs ,like bakc in the dayā€¦ Thats badass u got a keeper from a freebie! Cheers!

4 Likes

It took a while,but was interesting to read everyoneā€™s thoughts on fem seeds :+1:

3 Likes

If you are getting multiple, true males out of a single pack of feminized seeds, the breeder probably has a pollen contamination or seed sorting problem.

5 Likes

I did keep one skunky smelling male but have no idea who to cross him with lol. I may give him a branch on a cali sour d and maybe a branch off the black

well, your cali SD has skunk it inā€¦ it would be like a BX of sorts to itā€™s Mass SupSk ancestorā€¦ In the f1 u wouldnt see too much, BUT in the f2, youā€™;d see some cool variationā€¦ sow enough of the f2, pheno hunt through them for a keepr mother that expresses what u like, and blow yur place out with her clonesā€¦ If u decide to keep working the line, or think u may wnat to eventually, then hold a clone of yur sk male indefinitely, bc youā€™ll eventually need him for the BXā€¦ small cup in the corner, when gets too tall (2-3 months later) cut another cloen from him trash the big one, keep the new tiny clone, repeatā€¦

U got The Black? like, the real The Black?? Thatā€™s our strian. We invented thatā€¦ what pheno or phenos do u got? @Morgwar

3 Likes

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Black: Strain History and Info

heres the new rubā€¦ been out of growing for a minute or twoā€¦ watch my brother try it ā€¦ watch him buy tents, led lights. etcā€¦
and I let him. I watched, through a hand in when he fucks up or needs some knowledge he hasnā€™t gleaned yet. he buys fem seedsā€¦ easier for him right??? autos too even easierā€¦ ordered the GG#4 from ? femsā€¦ 5 seedsā€¦ one stand out in the trics one standout in the bush departmentā€¦ took em at 57ā€¦ re-vegging all of em .2 because well i cut em to the quick tossed em in the trash and they sprouted new growth anyway so trimmed the roots dropped back in the bubbler. the other one i kept just because she started late in life willing to give her another chance.

Right on we gotta o what we can, with what we have. One thing I canā€™t figure is the autoā€™s grown inside. Autos need a lot of light to produce any quantity? With a 12/12 bloom cycle for the regs and fems I canā€™t see using the space for autos. Outdoors I can see autoā€™s for a quick 2 ounces maybe, but indoors you would need to be running a veg cycle light timing to get anything but a lollypop sized single cola? I figure that to be a waste of money space and time, but who knowsā€¦ Iā€™ve only grown autos outdoors an then only twice and at that, I figure they are still a waste of time and space, except for a plant and forget method. I know they arenā€™t for me, autoā€™s that is. Fem seeds are almost essential now if you like the new strains, like up here there ainā€™t no GG#4 seeds that are regs, just like many other breeder luck ā€˜elitesā€™. Not many seed breeders take the time to go further than f2ā€™s like why bother in this fast paced pollen chucking world of cannabis. Grow a nice plant and clone, reverse, pollenate and market, make a quick buck then fade into the past. I get what the vets say concerning the gene poolā€¦everyone will be buying Monsanto seeds within 10 years. Regs for this noob till the end, Cheers man, do what suits you best. Iā€™ll NEVER pay 20 bucks for a seed, especially a multi multi hybrid.

2 Likes

i remember when c99 first came out from brothers grimmā€¦ 150 bux 10 beansā€¦

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: How to produce mostly females from standard seeds

Feminized seed is commercialized bagseed!

Itā€™s a disservice to the preservation of Cannabis genetics. Leaving genetics in control of powerhouses will only lead them to being lost when or if the law reverts. We need many others to be propagating more and more seed so we never lose it.

3 Likes