Fertilizer Comparisons, Retail Mixes and Program Insights

Hey @LD50 The Athena Blended Line spikes PK during weeks 3-4 of flower. I think this is also when Canna Coco does their PK boost. Your Jacks mixture and their own feed schedule spike PK in week 1-2 of flower. Do you have a preference and have you tested out different timings of spiking P specifically during flower?

1 Like

I’ve been transplanting from small containers to 5-gallon air pots at the same time that I flip to 12/12. In that way, some of the benefit of spiking Phosphorus early (weeks 1-2) is rootzone development. I also remember a video where Dr. Bugbee states that the cannabis plant accumulates Phosphorus in the rootzone, and so there’s some assumption that early application will be sequestered to some extent. Finally, I keep Phosphorus “high-ish” for the duration of flower; much higher than a standard Jack’s schedule, and so although there is an early spike, it’s followed by a sustaining dose.

I have never tested this side by side with a later application though. It’s a lot of theory, some if>then logic, and a few years of application without testing alternatives, so YMMV!

P.S. Jack’s assumes that week 1 starts the moment you flip to 12/12…

It looks like Athena does the same, but curiously, I don’t see them spiking PK on this latest schedule:

In the Blended line, they don’t spike P but rather they seem to “fold it in gently” as a PK supplement, perhaps for the sake of additional K with P along for the ride.

4 Likes

Very interesting :thinking:

PK is a good one from Athena.
I was looking into Trying out TPS one nutrition, but still need to add additional nutes. Someone had also recommended TPS signal, but looking at that, I’m covered by Athena PK, plus some.

@LD50 Could you run the following numbers through your program? I played around in Hydrobuddy to try and make a clone of the Athena Pro Veg recipe and I think I got pretty close but would love a 2nd opinion if you could easily chart the 2 out.

Jacks Part A 5-12-26 - 5.2g per gallon
CalNit - 4g per gallon
Epsom Salt MagSulf - .5g per gallon

1 Like

@LD50 Ive been curious about switching the 5-12-26 out for the 0-12-26, because I’m wondering if the extra calcium from using extra 15-0-0 to make up for the missing N from the 5-12-26 would be beneficial. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for doing all of this and sharing with everyone!!

1 Like