FIRST DWC pot vs COCO pot. GG4 x Skittlez x Northern lights

yep I always have my 3 part calibration cups with plastic over them with rubber bands holding the plastic on lol. But yeah I’ve done some ph battles.

2 Likes

Yeah see temprature is my thorn in my claw right now. I mean I could do a better job of it if I went and bought a extra ac unit for the room but I’m maintaining temps of 72. Thats “safe” but it is getting in that danger zone. I’ve been battling root slime this whole grow but it is what it is. Ive been considering doing a coco run either my next one or the one after that just so I can see what I like better. Okay anyways sorry I keep blowing up your thread lol

1 Like

After my rookie errors in soil i needed a plan B (calibrate ph meter) and plan C (drops) just to satisfy my recent PH obsession. :stuck_out_tongue:

The water is “slightly hard” in my area.
And PH i think was 8.7 out the tap last time i checked.

1 Like

Yeah il defo let it drift around the healthy ranges…

Its near 6.2 today so il drop it when i clean the res tommorow towards 6.0 then down 5.8 slowly then slow up the range again.

Totally agree, drops are a messy but faithful tool!

2 Likes

Temp was an issue was for me before i bought the AC the grow room was often too hot nearly 30c air temp, no dwc then so I’m just glad i didnt have to cough up for a water cooler too,

the cold air direct on the bucket through the mesh vent is enough to hold water temp at 68f most of the day… It does creep up to 70 sometimes on a hot day but im happy with my temps i think

2 Likes

So here’s a little photo update… Any advice regarding the coco? That 2 hours of ac wind seems to have stunted her, its grown a extra node in height but hasn’t drunk much… It looks like heat stress but temp is only 21-22c and the ac wind isnt blowing on it only the recirculated 22c air in the tent (the white fan)…

But the difference now is huge…
Im liking the dwc alot so far. But this coco? Hmm

Sorry didnt take a photo of the roots but they are beautifully white and theres alot of long stringy ones and a nice support ball developing

4 Likes

Just a little update…
the DWC i think looks pretty sweet so far? done a little fim, shes gone a lovely square shape squeezing in my tent :grin:

Coco - struggled with the high ph in the start and didnt charge to nutrients just water so a steep learning curve off my first coco, resulted in very slow drinking taking 10 days between each water! As a result suffered a bad batch of fungus gnats but now they are down to one of two flyers every few days, plant seems a little perkier but she’s had a hard life…

should i just throw the coco plant? No room for one plant to be in veg at the mo

4 Likes

My vote = yes

Gives you an excuse to start more… :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Id toss it simply because there will be no canopy management there. The dwc one will be way too tall in comparison so when you’re flowering you will be getting shitty buds on the small one. If you were doing some sort of training on the one to keep the canopy lower alongside the one in coco id say keep em both but that ship has pretty much sailed

3 Likes

Yeah your right there! i get nervous about training the height properly generally on my plants unless i know shes gunna be too tall for my tent (usually way too late) I havent found the right stuff to hold it during training, all the thick and thin tie wire ive tried so far seems to end of up digging into the plant stems making an ugly sight and impossible to remove. I’m fully open to training tips for this time and next time!

the speed the DWC is growing is scarily fast to what ive been used too in soil…

There looks to be more horizontal growth than vertical last 7 days and i been pushing the bottom shoots up through the gaps to try keep it more even height overall… Will that be enough? I havent removed any leaves so far but a few bottom huge fan leaves are in the shade now?

Just been a pain my headaches with the coco and general life commitments, i wanted this to be a true comparison between the two growing mediums…fungus gnats was a first too.

Cheers guys, looks like coco will be binned tommorow then! Il have room for a new veg cycle in soon, just about finished on a Northern lights started in APRIL 2020 - Chopping next week!..

Looking for some ideas on what strain to grow and what mediums for my next grow. Comparison or just go full dwc?

1 Like

Yeah i knkw what you mean about explosive growth i run dwc too. One thing you can try for canopy management is supercropping. Just select where on the branch you want to bend at to bring the top down to and just squeeze and roll between your fingers until youbfeel a pop and then just lay it down where you want it. It will be mangled for a few days but they will bounce right back man and after about a week where you damaged the stem it will create a knuckle but it makes your branches stronger and gives you the canopy management you are looking for. Search for joboos bullpen and you can check my current grow. I used only bending branches this grow. Just remember this is a high stress training technique so you don’t want to be doing this on a daily basis. I usually leave about a week between bends. Are you still in veg right now? Because judging by the height and your light placement youbare going to want to bring that canopy down before the stretch

1 Like

Haha yes thats normally what I’ve had to once just in the past… Usually left too late, no choice but to gently snap her to give her a gap from the light when im already touching the max height in my room. She’s about day 9 since flip to 12/12… No signs of white pistils yet. I have about 2ft in height remaining in this tent before it starts getting too close. Haven’t trained at all yet… Recommend a snap now?

1 Like

I would definitely do some bending on that top layer…youbsee in your latest picture you have the stuff down low then the gap then other stuff up top. I would bend those top ones about halfway down to where they are atleast pretty close to the height from your bottom tops. My last grow i had about 8 inches in height difference from some of my tops and others on the same plant and 8 inches above the other plant. So when that happens your light placement is dictated by your tallest cola which can screw you ik the end. You want to be able to have them all pretty even as much as possible. I had some great ones that were closer to the light but the other buds came out airy you know. Some of ek were still good but if i would of trained my last grow would of been the shit. Do this stuff in veg next time and you will be all good

1 Like

when you do this stuff in veg it will save a lot of bs later. But be careful and go slow with these since they are in flower already…bend dont break

1 Like

Cheers for the tips il get on to it tommorow and train earlier in future!

Would my flexi trellis net be enough or bend and tie down with wire?
I’ll take a look at your grow now, i love to dribble over other growers quality :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Since they are at the point they are now i would bend and tie down but you might get some other opinions on here but that’s what i would do. If they weren’t so much above the rest of the plant i would say you would be good with a trellis but I think that ship has sailed man. I personally don’t run a trellis because I run buckets without an external resivoir so it is kind of a pain in the ass. Thats why I went with supercropping this go around

1 Like

Good shout there your right, didn’t think about the dwc bucket maintenance with the trellis net jammed ontop Certainly seems like best thing to so far
Thanks man!

I love this site! Improves my sight, and my yields :grin:

1 Like

Anytime man. Gimme a shout anytime. I work a lot but ill always get back to you…might take a few hours but ill get back to you lol

1 Like

Same man! Its a battle between working and living things human and not-so-human relying on me daily :joy:

1 Like

Been a while! Heres an update…

i did take the advice and kill the coco,first plant ive ever had to kill, it was a sad moment.

But im glad i did, i would of ran out of room…

Changed the res yesterday, absolute nightmare lifting the plant without breaking it to clean the stones and bucket and to move the football size roots away from directly on top of the stone definitely see why its worth the upgrade to rdwc!

Shes about 140cm tall now, looking happy to me! A few pollen sacks found every week but i was expecting this, as the seeds came from a hermie, but i thought id see what happens! And she’s alone.

Into Week 4 Bloom, Using Intense Nutrients, following chart + Cal mag

Air temps: 24-26c (Day) ----- 21-22c (Night)
Water temp: 66f-71f… Still controlled by AC and some well positioned cardboard
PH 5.96
PPM 1150
RH 51% Day. Up to 67% sometimes at night.

I am struggling with night humidity and darkness at the same time as my ac is outside the tent. Any cost effective ideas?

and how you think its looking honestly :)?

1 Like