FIRST DWC pot vs COCO pot. GG4 x Skittlez x Northern lights

Looks pretty dang good that.
Aquarium pump with a hose attached, drop it in and switch it on, goes a little slow but beats the hassle, 20-30$ well spent. Just look at the max lift height on the pump so you dont get one thats not capable of lifting the fluid out properly. I personally like MaxiJet, simple, cheap and strong.
Id recommend a 10-15W pump, they tend to have 1-1.5m of lift.

Mine is in the res permanently, pull out hose, wait 1-2min for empty bucket to fill and dump.
If you ever expand, can use it for recirculating from a res to several buckets.
The one in the link will easily drive a long hose to a floor drain, if you want to go direct to a sink you will prob need the next model up from that, +20W with a 1.5-2m lift.

1 Like

Thanks man!

My only question with a water pump, how do you clean your res? I find after a few weeks in a single bucket my air stone get a bit gunky like dark green residue (algae im guessing) and sometimes on the inside of the bucket too.

Is your res still clean after a full grow without needing to clean anything just draining and filling? Just wondering if im only getting this at all because of a light leak somewhere

1 Like

I run with 1.5ml unscented Clorox (5%) every 3 days, 5gal/20l volume, works well.
The tubes in the back have some light on them, still no algae, chlorine kills it.
Usually I do a cleanup after the grow is over. Always a bit o gunk on the air stone, on the bottom and walls, not algae tho. In my case I think it might be fulvic and humic acids in the GH flora reacting with chlorine.
You can see the brown stuff on the tubes in the back. Its not slime tho and doesn’t seem to bother the roots, in this pic they are a little extra brown, experimented with ORP meter and chlorine dosing, roasted the roots with a little too much.

When needed, lift over the plant to a clean empty bucket, they’ll manage for 15-20min without extra moisture. If it goes longer, give the roots a spray with water.
Pour some chlorine(~10-20ml) in the res with the pump on and hose in the bucket, let the chlorine work for 15-20min. Give it a once over with a scrub sponge and pump it out, rinse with a few jugs of water and pump that out too.
Refill like usual.

Thats is the lazy way, if you want to be really meticulous, empty, scrub, rinse, fill with water, add chlorine, run for 20min, empty, rinse and then refill like usual.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips, didnt realise chlorine would help clean it.

Im not sure if it is algae, its not like its bad or the water changes colour at all it did seem worse at the start when I was using a dark coloured root stim… i just get a bit over cautious on the cleaning side but the roots are mainly white slightly stained to the nutrients colour so i guess I’m worrying for nothing really and thepplant isnt showing any symptoms other than what it got from its mother… so i might just clean the stones instead of the bucket next time and i just ordered a water pump similar so thanks again man

1 Like

I did do my best to train her to even out but she seems to hate any stress by showing balls especially after i FIM her in week 2 flower so avoided any further stress and so far in the battle of the balls im winning with tweezers… still 99% white hairs in week 5 flower, still checking every branch but no balls in last week and the buds are starting to have a beautiful white coating and enough tops for this time round i think? :slight_smile:

Hey all,

Not sure if many of you are still following this diary still, so i might just post an update when its ready to harvest if it seems to be quiet.

Im guessing she will be done in the next 2 weeks.
Just started her bloom finisher (intense nutrients climax)

if you want regular updates still let me know otherwise il see you all at harvest :wink:
Heres some new pics anyway

3 Likes

I went researching because I noticed my plants also like drifting up in ph. @JoeCrowe is a mad scientist but I learned from him that the plants actually like that drift, I let it swing up to 7 and by the time it does that I’m already changing my Rez again. My plants have way more up take and less stress from not adding ph up down and sideways!
As you go up from 5.8 to 7 you practically hit every optimal ph level for each nutrients uptake.
image|375x500

1 Like

3 Likes

Hey all,

Shes been chopped, had a good 10-15% brown trichromes under the microscope and about 75-80% cloudy and the bud hasnt noticeably grown for 4 days just browning pistils, water only for previously 10 days.
Thanks for following my first DWC mini grow, now on to 4pot DWC (photo 4 :stuck_out_tongue: )

Hanging to dry now :grin:.

it was fun little experiment in DWC. So heres my next project in progress…

:arrow_up: 4 POT DWC- -Barneys Farm - Wedding Cake :arrow_up:

4 Likes